BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   starter spins but no action Empty starter spins but no action Sat May 21, 2011 12:34 pm

Box man

I am new to this forum, I wish I would have found it earlier as I have owned my 85K100 for over a year. The end of last season I had starter problems. It was spinning but not turning over the engine. I assumed it was like a vehicle starter that needed to engage the flywheel so this spring I ordered a new starter (for a gigillion dollars) thought I would just throw it in and everything would be fine. I also bought a new battery just in case.

The new starter does the same thing. I should have inspected the fly wheel before I put it in. I am assuming that I am missing some teeth on my fly wheel or is there another solution that I am overlooking.

I live in British Columbia, Canada BTW.

2Back to top Go down   starter spins but no action Empty Re: starter spins but no action Sat May 21, 2011 1:23 pm

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
The sprag clutch is slipping. This is a common problem caused by infrequent oil changes or poor quality oil gumming it up. Put the word sprag into the search at the top of the page to find threads referring to it.

3Back to top Go down   starter spins but no action Empty Re: starter spins but no action Sat May 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Box man

thanks I just saw the previous post last year. I changed my oil but now I need to get it started. I assume I can just bump start it and take it for a good toot to lubricate it. I am using a semi synthetic oil (motul 15/40) so I assume this okay.

4Back to top Go down   starter spins but no action Empty Re: starter spins but no action Sat May 21, 2011 8:37 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Yep, good one. Make sure you press the starter when you bump start her.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland starter spins but no action Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

5Back to top Go down   starter spins but no action Empty Re: starter spins but no action Sat May 21, 2011 9:14 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Check this page to understand what is your problem.

Glad to see another Canuck on this forum.

Cheers

Bert

6Back to top Go down   starter spins but no action Empty Re: starter spins but no action Sat May 21, 2011 11:58 pm

Box man

Thanks for the great advice folks. The crappy thing is I just changed the oil so I think I will try to bump start it with the new oil and see if that works. Otherwise I will change the oil again.

Yes, Bert I am not only a Canuck but I cheer for them on TV.

7Back to top Go down   starter spins but no action Empty Re: starter spins but no action Sun May 22, 2011 7:37 am

Hover K100

Hover K100
Silver member
Silver member
A small tap with a" blunt object" just in front of the alternator will engage the sprag. Do this and then press the starter button. It WILL start. I'll try and post some pics of my K and you will see why I cant bump start it!!
I had this problem after salt water immersion and cured it by running a diesel engine oil for a few hours and the changing oil and filter again.

https://www.youtube.com/user/HoverIreland?feature=mhee

8Back to top Go down   starter spins but no action Empty Re: starter spins but no action Mon May 23, 2011 6:00 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Just drain your new oil in a clean container, use any of the above for flushing and refill your new oil??

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland starter spins but no action Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

9Back to top Go down   starter spins but no action Empty Re: starter spins but no action Mon May 23, 2011 12:32 pm

Box man

Well folks, all I had to do is bump start it, then I "rode it like I stole it" and everything is all good.

I can't believe how riding the bike contributes to my mental health. I think it costs should be tax deductible or at least covered by medicare. Side effects much less than valium or some of those other crazy drugs.

Thanks again for the input.

10Back to top Go down   starter spins but no action Empty Re: starter spins but no action Mon May 23, 2011 1:00 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Nice job Box man, sounds like that was some trip there man Laughing

BIG D

11Back to top Go down   starter spins but no action Empty Re: starter spins but no action Mon May 23, 2011 2:10 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Box man wrote:I think it costs should be tax deductible or at least covered by medicare. Side effects much less than valium or some of those other crazy drugs.
starter spins but no action 44271
Every time that I took my dog to the vet, I tried to pay it with my medicare card (MSI in NS). It never worked! Embarassed

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum