BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Coolong fan question. Empty Coolong fan question. Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:19 am

Richard1

Silver member
Silver member
When the fan on my 1985 K100RT comes on sometimes it comes on full speed and at other times it comes on with what seems like a fast/slow speed. The speed seems to be fast-slow-fast-slow until it shuts off. The bike has never overheated. It never seems to stay on longer than perhaps a minute or so.
I am wondering if this is an indication of a potential problem or not.
Richard1

2Back to top Go down   Coolong fan question. Empty Re: Coolong fan question. Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:39 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The fan circuit only has one speed. The fan is either on or off. I would be looking at the fan itself or a bad connection in the earth or power. The bricks are getting to the age where electrical problems and mainly bad connectors seem to be the in thing with them.

3Back to top Go down   Coolong fan question. Empty Re: Coolong fan question. Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:55 pm

Richard1

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks k-Freak. Since I am new to these K bikes, where would I look for the connections? Thanks in advance.
Richard1

4Back to top Go down   Coolong fan question. Empty Re: Coolong fan question. Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:07 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Allow me to poke my nose in Richard1, having just been through theis.
You need to remove the lower fairing panel on the right hand side, and then undo and remove the air intake pipe (plastic oblongy shaped
tube from your radiator) on the right hand side, and gently pull the other end out of the airbox intake. This gives you a chance to get your hand in behind the fan and feel around for a wire from the back of the fan to a connector. It has 2 wires on it, a brown one and a green and yellow one (that one being the power). Undo the connector, Deoxit both sides, get a 12 v battery and run a positive wire onto the yellow/green fan side connector, and a negative wire onto the brown connector. The fan should run smooth. If it does, then you have a bad connection back up the line. Go to the "How to"section and look up Cooling fan repairs. There is a great section on how to chase faults back to the under tank relay.
Chapters 8 and 9 in Clymer manual covers it sort of as well.
Good luck mate
RT.

5Back to top Go down   Coolong fan question. Empty Re: Coolong fan question. Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:02 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Thanks for saving me all that typing RT.
Richard1 Deoxit is a product made to clean electrical terminals and is the best of the line by a long way. Have a look through the "How To" section it is truely amazing what is there about all things K Bike.
You say your new to the Bricks, they are certainly different to others but after a few rides you will have another love in your life.
I always liked them and had done a fair bit of work on them for friends but bought one the K100LT about 5 years ago and now I am well and truely hooked and have 3 of the critters.

6Back to top Go down   Coolong fan question. Empty Re: Coolong fan question. Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:06 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Richard1, I just noticed today that my 86 wrecker has the fan connector on the left hand side of the radiator, someone has squashed in there and it was inaccessible so just root around behind the fan, the wiring is short (Germans don't waste anything) . Go for it mate, they won't tell you but it is a never ending thing with repairs, but not costly if you work with the forum and get game.
K Freak, sry mate didn't mean to jump in, My blood's been boiling
with my radiator prob so I just exploded in.
RT

7Back to top Go down   Coolong fan question. Empty Re: Coolong fan question. Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:21 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sends rt a cooling beer or three....dozen ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Coolong fan question. Empty Re: Coolong fan question. Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:26 am

Richard1

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks to all you mates for the help and instructions on finding the problem. With your instructions in hand yesterday I put the K in the drive way, away from any other noise, and started it and left it run. Started it from a cold start and after 19 minutes the fan came on very loudly and seemed to run happily. I was so happy I could sing (but I'm not a very good singer).
Since the weather is just right I am going to ride it but keeping an ear out for anything unusual.
Now that I know the fan works, any other odd sounds from it will lead me to the connectors which you suggest. I can't thank you guys enough for the help. Don't know what I would do without this forum for help.
K-Freak, You are certainly right - I have come to love the unique character of this K and drive it instead of my 2004 R1150RT.
Richard1 bounce

9Back to top Go down   Coolong fan question. Empty Re: Coolong fan question. Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:43 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
awww ....enjoy rich !!!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum