BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   From Troy, MI Empty From Troy, MI Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:34 pm

chronostorm

Hi everyone Smile

I was given a 1987 K100RT from a neighbor a few months ago, and he labelled it as not working, but he hasn't tried much with it the last few years due to being super busy, and I haven't yet either. I just recently started to seriously look at it, but I'm not entirely sure what's working and what's not yet. Hopefully, it's not in too bad shape.

I'm here to learn from you guys and hopefully eventually share with you guys Very Happy

2Back to top Go down   From Troy, MI Empty Re: From Troy, MI Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:44 pm

Welcome to the forum. It's good to have another North American here as we Aussies tend to gather and be a bit boisterous in the local pub. Cheers, my shout on drinks all round and all that! I'd start with making sure the fuel tank is free of that gooey, sludgy, varnishy stuff that untreated petrol (gasoline) inevitably turns into after a while and which can ruin a perfectly good fuel pump. Drain off the old oils and spoilt fluids and refill them to spec, charge up or replace the battery, check the sparkies for signs of life, remove the mouse dwelling from your air cleaner assembly, make sure the connections are cleaned and tight, and give 'er a gentle nudge towards life.

3Back to top Go down   From Troy, MI Empty Re: From Troy, MI Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:59 am

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice gift and that's my kind of neighbor!! Welcome aboard and Chrono and post a pic if you get a chance?

OG

4Back to top Go down   From Troy, MI Empty Re: From Troy, MI Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:20 am

chronostorm

thanks for the welcome guys Smile

oldgoat, I'll try to get a picture of it sometime to post Smile It's a nice metallic blue color, which I'm really happy with, although the finish needs to be patched up a bit.

two wheels, unfortunately, I think the pump is already dead Sad I removed it tonight, put a 12V power source on it, and it didn't make any noise at all. It's also covered with what looks like dried gasoline. I think there's a bunch of dried gas inside the tank as well.

I've been looking for a battery to replace the old one, since that one's really old and is kinda bloaty.

Not all is bad though Smile I had a friend of mine take a look at my bike recently, and he used a device that can start cars using the wall outlet to test out the bike, and it seems the engine isn't frozen, and all the lights are working just fine.

5Back to top Go down   From Troy, MI Empty Re: From Troy, MI Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:17 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi chronostorm,
Good to have you on board.
Regards,
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down   From Troy, MI Empty Re: From Troy, MI Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:41 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Just make the whole fuel system is really clean with new hoses both inside the tank and outside and filter is new. Probably pay to have the injectors cleaned and put a battery in it and see if it fires up.
I have found it amazing just how many bikes are scrapped because they are left sitting for a long time and are expected to go on the first hit and when they dont out it goes.
Have a hunt around the forum about where to get fuel pumps but dont waste your money on a genuine.

7Back to top Go down   From Troy, MI Empty Re: From Troy, MI Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:47 am

chronostorm

K Freak wrote:I have found it amazing just how many bikes are scrapped because they are left sitting for a long time and are expected to go on the first hit and when they dont out it goes.

My neighbor was actually considering just junking the bike, but then he gave it to me Smile

8Back to top Go down   From Troy, MI Empty Re: From Troy, MI Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:35 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome chrono ......

your on the right forum mate ....i have nearly cried reading some posts on here .....but in most cases ...things have come good .......with a little help from our friends on here .....
cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

9Back to top Go down   From Troy, MI Empty Re: From Troy, MI Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:34 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Welcome chrono, enjoy the forum lots to learn on here.

BIG D

10Back to top Go down   From Troy, MI Empty Re: From Troy, MI Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:11 pm

87m6chris

87m6chris
Silver member
Silver member
A free money pit.. sorry, a free K ! Only sort of kidding, yes you will have to invest some cash to get her running if it has been sitting for awhile but you could not ask for a better bike to work on or ride. It's beautifully engineered, simple to work on and there is no problem this group hasn't seen before and fixed. Once you get it running you'll understand why it has such a strong and faithful following.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum