BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Roejen

So um...yeah..How does the gas gauge on these things work..I see the 4L and 7L lights and I have yet to put a full tank of gas in mine. How do you guys judge when its time to put some fuel in? Very Happy Of course right now the 4L light is on because its basically empty.

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I think you have an early bike, maybe 83 to 86. There is a black plastic hex nut under the left front of your tank that houses the sender unit. Basically the unit is a long cylinder with wiring at two levels, 7 litre and 4 litre which operates the lights.The reason there was a change was that this system was not reliable and I remember my 7 litre light coming on after a few turns coming out of the fuel station.

I would suggest that you use your trip meter as a guide. Fill up the tank and see how far you can go untill your 4 litre light comes on. That way you have some idea of fuel economy etc. Do not rely on the lights. My son ran out of fuel on my bike with no lights working at all and I copped the blame for that one. If all else fails use your digital fuel gauge...open tank, stick digit in, look at digit, shut tank. Do not lick digit to clean. Good luck.

:joker: lol!

Roejen

Its a 85 actually =)

Roejen

So, if I fill the tank up..how many miles should I expect to get..Ballpark of course? That was the way I was going to do it anyways.

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Assuming the tank holds around 22 litres, about 4.8 gals, at a steady 60mph you should get about 55 miles per gal. at higher speeds and very slow speeds this will change. I tend to keep it filled up every 150 to 200 kms so that I know I won't run out. I find I can hear my fuel pump more when I get low on fuel and this is another reminder for me.

That's 55 per out of an Imperial gallon as a US gallon is four quarts, not five. Expect 45 US miles per gallon if you don't give 'er too much stick.

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
I have an 85 as well. None of the lights worked when I got it. Gave the system a birthday and got both working. Within a week the 4L light stopped working again and the 7L light is not the least bit accurate. It will turn on and off for a long time before it stays on. Now I use the trip meter and aim to refuel at 200km. I have been as far as 220km, and it take 15L on the average fill.

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
My PO told me to fill up every 400 klm ( spare litre of fuel in the boot in case) when I first got her was struggling to get 300 klm hmm heavy hand??? before I broke my foot was getting 400 + but its definitely on vapour seems to loose power after 350 klm think its due to air entering system

I regularly fill up at about 360kms and it takes about 18 or 19 litres. The light comes on just on 4 litres left in the tank. From bone dry it accepts a sip over 22.2 litres.

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
I get my 4L light come on around the 160MILE mark. and usually fill up soon afterwards, I've never put more than 18 litres in . I once got to 200miles and the bike was surging. So decided against that again lol, that time I put in 21.8 litres, but that was just after I got the bike and it hadn't been ridden in a while.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i start looking for the next station at about 280 ks ...knowing that ive got another 60klm or so left on the hills but a little different on the highways dont start looking till 320 or so

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Lesson number forty seven: If you turn up the loud handle the eardrums will be depleted sooner. Sip, not slurp.

Roejen

Very Happy thanks all.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum