BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty thermo fan brushes Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:34 am

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
good afternoon ,
I found one of the brushes on the fan motor has cracked in half, losing contact with the commutater.
has anyone found brush replacement kits, parts or numbers ? or must i part with the many monies to buy a new one ?

Nathan

http://www.airware.com.au

2Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:55 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The motors are a standard Bosch part No but I am not sure if the brushes are available seperately or not. Stand by I will try to find the part No.

Update:- Bosch part # 0 130 007 027 I enquired about one some time ago and was told they are available they were $70 from memory but don't blame me if my memory is kaput I almost forgot I was looking for a part number.

Last edited by K Freak on Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:00 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
the local auto electrician might be good for a brush or 2 .....most of those carbon jobbies are easily filled to size .....

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:38 am

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
how about the aftermarket fan with the increased air flow, can anyone pass on an opinion one way or t'other ?

5Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:41 am

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
K Freak thank you , i see the merit in your name now.
they are a great bike .

6Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:46 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
beanoldboy wrote:how about the aftermarket fan with the increased air flow, can anyone pass on an opinion one way or t'other ?

I managed to find one on Fleabay a while ago but never got to try it. It was a very cheap one too so I wasn't going to be too optismistic about the quality.

One with a sealed motor wouls certainly be an advantage. I also found that Davies Craige make an 8" one but it was about $200 so I passed on it.

Last edited by K Freak on Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo fixed)

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

7Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:28 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
$70 for a brush ??? what the .....?

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:45 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
charlie99 wrote:$70 for a brush ??? what the .....?

No Charlie the whole motor I dont think Bosch would have a brush for it as a seperate part but like you say you could make one

9Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:48 am

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
You would probably find a bosch drill brushes fit

10Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:11 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have a set here in front of me. They are a curved thing which is mounted in a plastic carrier. I doubt that a replacement would be found easily so a complete motor is the go. thermo fan brushes  Brushe10

11Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:25 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
goodness gracious me ...thats certainly one way to step outside the envelope ....what were those guys on ??? 70s - 80s europe ...hmmm

12Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:34 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
If you`re going for a aftermarket fan, there is some useful stuff in this document.

Inge K.

13Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:58 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Beanoldboy, I have a couple of old fans that workish , Maybe I could send you up the motor and you can have a go at the bushes?. I'd do it for you but as everyone knows, I'm slow and have 10 thumbs.
Let me know I'll send one up gratis of course, as I am only here to serve.
(who said wanker??)
RT

14Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:27 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i think ill have room for it ...to bring up to brissy area ...if you dont mind waiting till after the 30th

15Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:02 pm

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
thank you both for the kind offer , impatience got the better of me and the new part was installed last night, the idea of increased airflow makes me think it will use less petrol so i am going down that track as a long term fix.
N

16Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:19 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
No problem, good to see it get solved. Maybe we could get John Dyson to make us a cyclonic fan up front, those things have some blow in them.
RT

17Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:24 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good fan so less petrol ...hahahahahah.....Very Happy

18Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:10 am

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
cooler engine runs leaner ? given its capacity to alter ignition timing (dwell angle?) and fuel mixture on the go , i thought cool the engine and the smarts will run the mixture leaner, or did i just fall off the top of the christmas tree ?
christmas soon and i still feel like its february.
N.

19Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:17 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If you have the right thermostat in then your engine should run at 88 deg and that is right for the ECU and CDI to do their stuff. As soon as you cool the rumming temp more than 10 deg the ECU will richen the mix so as to get a good burn and not have the combustion burn too hot. They're cunning little buggers at Bosch you know they figured it out many years ago and I don't like to mess with it unless some fairly major mods have been done to the engine.

Your right about Christmas I haven't even got over last years hangover.

20Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:34 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
My fan failed on the weekend. First I new was a hot burning sensation under my right leg. Fluid squirting out from expansion bottle. Bloody HOT!!. Hadnt noticed the temp light as i was too busy watching traffic. It seems on pull down that one of the brush holders had come off. The brush was laying in such away that there was no circuit. thinking back we hit a rough spot of road a while back. this may have jolted it loose. We waited for the bike to cool (good 2 hrs) then topped up some waters and just kept moving or cut the engine when we were at lights. Funny shaped brushes in there!!! here is what i found when i lifted the cover. Easy fix! Very Happy
thermo fan brushes  Imag0610

21Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:46 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You can buy just the motor http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BMW_K_Parts_s/60.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=60&show=20&page=2
I did enquire about getting one in from bosch, Bosch part # 0 130 007 027 but ended up not needing so didnt persue

22Back to top Go down   thermo fan brushes  Empty Re: thermo fan brushes Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:32 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol i noticed ....or was it pointed out... last sunday ....k-freak has still got his "christmas decoration "(singular ) still up from last year ....giggles

good work alby ....hope you get that thermostat sorted as well ....good luck mate

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum