BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Until they let go?

52Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
[quote="88KE"]
abbocath wrote:Hi,

I have already a new tire in my bike!
I choose Pirelli Sport Demon on size 140/80-17. I only have made about 750 kms but until now i have to say that i´m very...

As you can see, the right surface is with more detrition than the other side. I don´t think its normally and i´m thinking if its only provocated by the curves and for the way i curve. Could it be? Or should i look for other cause?

Thank you.

I've chosen Azaro (Avons) because they were the only radials that i can get and fit on the rear wheel... they work for me

2.7 bar or 39psi is ok, I run mine around 40 to 42 psi

Front looks a littl odd. The wear in the centre is significantly less than sides. Also there is some scalloping visible (I think). That would make me think that the tyre is run at lower pressure. I run mine around 36psi or 2.5bar.

The PO of my K12 absolutely ruined the front one by running tyres in the high 20psi range.

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

53Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:52 am

larrikin

larrikin
Life time member
Life time member
I'll have to stick up for Metzlers Lazatecs. I have them front and rear nas I get around 20000k out of the rear and 25000 from the front.

Mind you I do go up the Putty Road (a really good bike road) a fair bit and Bell Lines (see Putty Road). The chicken rim get a good work out Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car

54Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:43 pm

abbocath

abbocath
Silver member
Silver member
larrikin said

"I'll have to stick up for Metzlers Lazatecs. I have them front and rear nas I get around 20000k out of the rear and 25000 front"

Well i have chose the Pirelli Sport Demon for the front.

I ride until now about 1000 kms with it i´m very happy with them! Until now i can say that were the best tyres i had on my bike. 

Were the first ones that allows me to curve without effort. They grab weel but have to eat a little.

Now we have to see how far they go (on kms :pirat:)!

Larrikin, my last rear one was Metzeler Lasertec and in only las 9500 kms! I don´t like then but i recognise that are a great tyres on wet roads!

Good curves

55Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:01 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Some notes after season. I drove about 5500km with Michelin Pilot Active tyres. Front is still quite OK - I think it will last another 5-6000km, but rear is more worn. I think I will have to replace after about 3000km or sooner. I am little disappointed of the wear. And I have noticed that rear tyre is slippery when accelerating heavily while turning on cold tarmac. Some slides have occured...

56Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:38 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
I have just today replaced my front Michelin Pilot Active with another. I got 10,000 MILES from it. Best ever and found the performance wet or dry to be good.
I'll be replacing the rear one with the same in the next week or so after 8,000 MILES.
What pressures are you running Tenox?
The only way I could have got 20-25k out of a pair of Lazertecs would have been to switch the engine off!
Lot of it must be down to riding styles and road surfaces. The roads in the Scottish Highlands are fantastic for grip but eat bike tyres.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

57Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:54 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Ned wrote:
88KE wrote:
abbocath wrote:Hi,

I have already a new tire in my bike!
I choose Pirelli Sport Demon on size 140/80-17. I only have made about 750 kms but until now i have to say that i´m very...

As you can see, the right surface is with more detrition than the other side. I don´t think its normally and i´m thinking if its only provocated by the curves and for the way i curve. Could it be? Or should i look for other cause?

Thank you.
I've chosen Azaro (Avons) because they were the only radials that i can get and fit on the rear wheel... they work for me

2.7 bar or 39psi is ok, I run mine around 40 to 42 psi

Front looks a littl odd. The wear in the centre is significantly less than sides. Also there is some scalloping visible (I think). That would make me think that the tyre is run at lower pressure. I run mine around 36psi or 2.5bar.

The PO of my K12 absolutely ruined the front one by running tyres in the high 20psi range.
Try the AV46 rear with a Bridgestone BT-023 110/80-18 front. I run that combo on a couple of my Ks and it works quite well.  36 front - 42 rear.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

58Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:43 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Comberjohn wrote:I have just today replaced my front Michelin Pilot Active with another. I got 10,000 MILES from it. Best ever and found the performance wet or dry to be good.
I'll be replacing the rear one with the same in the next week or so after 8,000 MILES.
The only way I could have got 20-25k out of a pair of Lazertecs would have been to switch the engine off!
Lot of it must be down to riding styles and road surfaces. The roads in the Scottish Highlands are fantastic for grip but eat bike tyres.
I cant make a really good comparison here because I am using the wider RS rims on the LT. I have a set of Michilin PR2s and so far have very close to 20 000km on each with at least 10 000km left on the front and 5000km on the rear maybe more. I have never before got even half that distance from a set of tyres on any bike.
I keep hearing really good reports of michilin tyres and have heard that the Pilot Road 3 is even better.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

59Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:08 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:
Comberjohn wrote:I have just today replaced my front Michelin Pilot Active with another. I got 10,000 MILES from it. Best ever and found the performance wet or dry to be good.
I cant make a really good comparison here because I am using the wider RS rims on the LT. I have a set of Michilin PR2s and so far have very close to 20 000km on each with at least 10 000km left on the front and 5000km on the rear maybe more. I have never before got even half that distance from a set of tyres on any bike.
I keep hearing really good reports of michilin tyres and have heard that the Pilot Road 3 is even better.
From what I've read the PR3s are only better in the wet and that the PR2 is still a better overall tire.

On my last change on my K11LT I went with BT-023s (RS rear wheel) and find them to be as good as, if not better, than PR2s. I've had mixed results with various BTs in the past so was a little skeptical going in but ended up quite impressed by the BT-023s.  Based on that, the next time my K11RS needs tires I'm switching from PR2s to BT-023s. (and they cost less too)

JMHO. YMMV.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

60Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Worth thinking about as the PR2s are an expensive tyre here, $429AUD for a pair. When the AUD was high I bought 2 sets from Rocky Mountain MC & ATV for $300 per pair landed at my local post office but the way the AUD is now it is hardly worth doing considering I have to wear and warranty.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

61Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:04 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
On an RT I managed exactly 10,500 miles on a set of BT-023s (with pillion, a lot of straight highway touring, and loaded down) and replaced them with Michelin PR3s. I managed 11,000 miles out of the rear PR3 under similar touring/commuting conditions, replaced it with the same. I'm am still using the front PR3 with over 13,500 miles under it and with no sign of it touching the TWIs as yet.

The PR3s are very good in the rain.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

62Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Comberjohn wrote:What pressures are you running Tenox?

2,3bar front and 2,6 bar at rear. I will be surprised if rear one lasts total of 8000km.

63Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
That's similar to what pressures I would use. 2.2 front and 2.6 rear.
I changed the front yesterday at 10,000 MILES (16,000km?).
The rear will probably need changed after the weekend but already has 8,000 MILES (13,000km?). I expect to put about 4-500 miles on over the weekend.
These numbers are accurate because I took note of the mileage on the clock when they were fitted.
I'm not a loony on the road but do enjoy a good brisk pace. As a comparison, I've got about twice the mileage from the Michelins than the Bridgestone BT45's I used before.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

64Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:43 pm

Björn

Björn
Platinum member
Platinum member
Not quite certain about the size you need but 3 things I experienced myself:
1. Different brands did never work out well for me - tried Michelin / Avon and Michelin / Metzeler combo
2. Michelin Road Pilot 2 I had on the R1200 and not half the thread consumed in 5000 miles
3. Just bought Michelin Pilot Road 3 set - the best handling so far

65Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:40 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
One thing I have recently noticed with the Michelin PR2s is that even getting down to the last 1/3 of their life the front has no visible flat section in the centre and the rear is only just starting to show.

66Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
I do tend to accelerate hard and slow down with engine braking (downshifting) but I do not burn rubber and I don't use rear brake virtually at all.

67Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:41 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
I have my TPS disconnected and don't use my brakes that much. Last K had 45k miles and still on original pads.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

68Back to top Go down   How far do you ride on your tyres? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far do you ride on your tyres? Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:33 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
One thing is that we have very rough tarmac on spring because of the winter and spike tyres used on most cars during it. And our tarmac is quite cold atleast half of the season.

Edit: Measured the main threads and the results are: Front 3mm left and rear 2mm left after excactly 5552km.

Edit: I found out that I had misread the tyrewear indicator so did a recheck and corrected those figures. I just can't understand how worn they allready are. I don't think I will get even that front to go over 10 000km...

Update: about 8000km and rear is done, front has some left.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum