BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Greetings from the sunny Isle of Man Empty Greetings from the sunny Isle of Man Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:10 pm

Bonzo

Bonzo
Life time member
Life time member
Howdy folks.

I bought this 1990 K100RS 16v a couple of weeks ago as I just couldnt go on living life without a brick. Ive had 3 K-RS's before, all black '87's. For one reason or another (usually money & space) I sold 'em & always ended up regretting it.

So this is my first 16valver. First impressions? Engine still goes well with plenty of low down grunt. The vibes I read about so many times on the 16v'ers dont seem any worse than the 8's to my mind. The bars are much comfier, and generally the whole package just seems a little more 'right'.

The only downer (apart from a small tear in the saddle) is that Ive discovered the rear crank seal is leaking, and Im thinking this might be a big job. Can anyone tell me whats involved? (I dont mean a nut & bolt description, just an idea of how I go about getting to it)

Anyway, Im rambling. Heres the bike.

Greetings from the sunny Isle of Man 18

Greetings from the sunny Isle of Man 20

Greetings from the sunny Isle of Man 25

Greetings from the sunny Isle of Man 26

Greetings from the sunny Isle of Man 28

Greetings from the sunny Isle of Man WhiteorSilver009

Greetings from the sunny Isle of Man TholtyWill

Oh, and this one is definately a keeper. Very Happy

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Bonzo,
Great to have someone from the Mecca of motorcycling here with us. I spent many a happy summer watching the TT and the Manx GP. I must admit I came to prefer the atmosphere of the Manx GP to that of the TT. Never got across for the Southern 100 even though I had a number of friends who used to go regularly I just never did which I regret.

Last time I went across I was surprised how the character of the Douglas seafront had changed with all the small hotels being taken over by the offices of legal beagle and briefcase types. A reflection of the need given the tax haven status I guess. I know that locals I know regret the huge jump in house prices that has brought which makes it a struggle for the real residents. Anyway good on you for joining us and great to have someone who rides exactly the same model year and colour as mine. Love the look of the panniers, I see someone has fitted a supplementary gauge which I am guessing could be a fuel gauge?
Regards,
K-BIKE

Bonzo

Bonzo
Life time member
Life time member
Cheers K-BIKE Smile

Yep Im with you on the GP over TT. As you say the atmosphere is much more sociable and down to earth.

Fuel guage on the left, Oil temp on the right. (I thought that was standard on the 16v's??

You mention yours is the same colour. Is yours Peal Silver?

The reason I ask is that I got the last set of touch up paints from Motobins recently to tidy a few spots up. I assumed the bike colour was Pearl White but the colour code 661 is apparently Pearl Silver. Ive dabbed a small bit on the rear of the mudguard to test, and it definately looks a different colour. Im confused.com.

Greetings from the sunny Isle of Man WhiteorSilver015

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Bonzo,
Yep Pearl Silver 661 it is, which the exact colour of mine and I say in all modesty, very much admired by all and sundry. My bike came from Japan and had been ridden all of 10,400 K before coming here and having done extensive dismantling to get at every electrical connection to treat them with Deoxit I am certain is genuine. It is or was showroom new when I picked it up barring a couple of very minor scrapes the previous owner had from I suspect concrete pillars in a parking garage just scraping the mirror housings.

I did not have the supplementary instruments fitted on mine when I got it. You say Oil Temp, that is unusual as the normal is water temp so I would be most interested to know where they measure from, I know one can get a mechanical oil temperature gauge like a turkey roasting thermometer which fits in place of the oil topup plug.

I have added the 4 way flasher switch, Eastern Beaver HD relay kit for the headlight a one LED voltage monitor and a garage door trigger operated by the indicator cancel plus some Hyperlights inside the back light housing. I also upgraded the Instrument cluster with LED lighting from Drake Smith just before he introduced the kit which did all the indicators as well. I treated all connections in and into the cluster with Deoxit and taped the seam having also sealed every mounting screw with Loctite and replaced the big O ring.

I just love the bike as it is such a nice ride, I have had many bikes before and really enjoy this one.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Bonzo

Bonzo
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for re-assuring my of the colour Wink

Sorry, I meant water/coolant temp gauge, not oil.

I may opt for an HID kit at some point, but that will have to wait. One of the priorities is getting thast darned oil leak sorted.

You must put some pics of yours up.

Cheers for getting back to me.

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Bonzo and welcome.

That really is a sweet looking ride and I think you could easily put it on a modern showroom floor. Hard to believe it is nearly 20 years old!

Regards,

Phil

Bonzo

Bonzo
Life time member
Life time member
Cheers Phil

Yep, Im chuffed. Its not mint, but I reckon its held up its 19 years better than many Japs have.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Bonzo,
Lets take out a new thread in the Engine and Transmission and address the Oil Leak.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Bonzo,

First, welcome to this forum.
I was planning to reply to your post with some answers, but I was completing the Web page on the FI troubleshooting. This was a bigger job than expected as I made it in French too. Rene is actually working on the translation to Dutch.

Stay tune and I will give you all the details about the seal within the next couple of days. Don't worry, it's an easy job. Very Happy

Bert

Bonzo

Bonzo
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Bert sunny

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum