BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Life time member
Life time member
Yesterday late in the afternoon, I discovered that the sidestand lever is broken when I wanted to get off my '89 K 100 LT. With my body build (anything but athletic), it's practically impossible to pull my bike on the central stand - so nothing else was left except to lean it against something. As the lever is made from a steel tube, I immediately figured that it could temporarily be fixed by inserting a thin wooden bar - but how to fix it? OK, Pentacost is no holiday in most of Bosnia, but still on Sunday afternoon no shop with two-component glue (poliester resin...) is open. Chewing gum... Cool Broken sidestand lever - or The Art of Improvisation Broken10

    

blaKey

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Brilliant work ffbikersa...that should last for years! Shocked


__________________________________________________
Neil
K100RS 1986 RED!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.
    

88

88
Life time member
Life time member
Go MCGyver! Mine was broken when I got the bike with just about 30mm left at the stump. I drove a copper pipe over it and sprayed it black as a temporary fix. Worked a charm!


__________________________________________________
Broken sidestand lever - or The Art of Improvisation Ir-log11 88....May contain nuts!Broken sidestand lever - or The Art of Improvisation Ir-log11

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K1/RS - AKA Titan (unique hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
    

4Back to top Go down   Broken sidestand lever - or The Art of Improvisation Empty Steel reinforcing bar Mon May 28, 2012 5:37 am

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Life time member
Life time member
88KE wrote:Go MCGyver! Mine was broken when I got the bike with just about 30mm left at the stump. I drove a copper pipe over it and sprayed it black as a temporary fix. Worked a charm!

As the steel tube is hollow, it should be possible to insert steel reinforcing bar (used for reinforcing concrete) and weld all together.
But more problematic is the reason WHY it broke: as I can't put my bike on the centre stand - and when on the sidestand it leans too much (see the discussion about "Permanent side stand puck", I was parking the bike next to a sidewalk on the street, so I could push with my foot against it in order to straighten up the bike. Well - it looks I parked it a bit TOO close, so lever pushed against the sidewalk and weight of the bike broke it :|

I hope Nino will soon send me that hockey puck he promised...

    

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
You should turn to Alby for help. His girlfriend and pillion is the "official" side stand person. It is well rehearsed....Alby stops the bike, Nic hops off, Alby opens left pocket in his jacket, Nic retrieves the official block of wood and places it under side stand. Alby then gets off. I saw this happen at every stop on our recent trip in Queensland. Not sure whether the block of wood has been given a BMW part number yet.


__________________________________________________
1983 K100 basic vin 0003960 colour red  GONE
1987 K100RT vin 0094685 colour, orange peel, sorry, pearl..GONE
F800R black
    

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Wow isn't team work great. but why so much wood? are we seeing the start of a woody convention? I thought that was an American or English thing. I might have to see about some wallnut knee grips then that should be to digs for sure.Was the puck going to be wood or polypropelene that nino makes??? Still a little dowl in the right place put you back on the road. Thats smart....


__________________________________________________
Keith - 1987 K75c with r100rt replica fairing and half of a 1984 K100rt 1992 K1100LT a blue one

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.
    

nino

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@ffbikersa wrote:
88KE wrote:Go MCGyver! Mine was broken when I got the bike with just about 30mm left at the stump. I drove a copper pipe over it and sprayed it black as a temporary fix. Worked a charm!

As the steel tube is hollow, it should be possible to insert steel reinforcing bar (used for reinforcing concrete) and weld all together.
But more problematic is the reason WHY it broke: as I can't put my bike on the centre stand - and when on the sidestand it leans too much (see the discussion about "Permanent side stand puck", I was parking the bike next to a sidewalk on the street, so I could push with my foot against it in order to straighten up the bike. Well - it looks I parked it a bit TOO close, so lever pushed against the sidewalk and weight of the bike broke it :|

I hope Nino will soon send me that hockey puck he promised...

Tarik, puck is posted in Zagreb. You will receive it soon. I hope chevapi in Sarajevo

    

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Life time member
Life time member
@nino wrote:
@ffbikersa wrote:
88KE wrote:Go MCGyver! Mine was broken when I got the bike with just about 30mm left at the stump. I drove a copper pipe over it and sprayed it black as a temporary fix. Worked a charm!

As the steel tube is hollow, it should be possible to insert steel reinforcing bar (used for reinforcing concrete) and weld all together.
But more problematic is the reason WHY it broke: as I can't put my bike on the centre stand - and when on the sidestand it leans too much (see the discussion about "Permanent side stand puck", I was parking the bike next to a sidewalk on the street, so I could push with my foot against it in order to straighten up the bike. Well - it looks I parked it a bit TOO close, so lever pushed against the sidewalk and weight of the bike broke it :|

I hope Nino will soon send me that hockey puck he promised...

Tarik, puck is posted in Zagreb. You will receive it soon. I hope chevapi in Sarajevo

Great thanks! Now the best chevapi is at "5" (Petica), run by the famous football player Ferhatovic cheers

    

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
You know i would lay odds that most of us have a couple of tent poles laying around that would be just the right size to slip inside the centre stand and its tang and allow it all to return to normal with abit of welding. I know i got a couple of gal poles and some alloy ones as well the bits that used to keep the rain off of me are long gone


__________________________________________________
Keith - 1987 K75c with r100rt replica fairing and half of a 1984 K100rt 1992 K1100LT a blue one

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum