BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   inaccurate speedo Empty inaccurate speedo Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:50 am

hulliojames

hulliojames
The speedo on my K100 is showing speeds way less than I am doing. not good when one is running low on points.

Any help / hints would be appreciated.

HJ

2Back to top Go down   inaccurate speedo Empty Re: inaccurate speedo Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:06 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Corosion and dirt are a major problem with the K100s nowdays.
Remove the speed sensor from the rear drive (It's black just behind the lower shockie mount held in by a 4mm socket head screw) remove the screw and gently lift the sensor up, you may need to get a thin blade under the edge to start it commimg. Make sure the area around it is clean especially behind it, sand and grit collect there and fall into the drive when you lift the sensor out.
Wipe the surface of the sensor to clean off the build up of crud and replace it, you may have to gently tap it down as the O ring can be a bit tight.
Trace the wire from the sensor to the plug which is behind the right side cover and make sure the contacts are clean and tight for a good electrical contact.
Go for a ride and chances it will be OK.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   inaccurate speedo Empty Re: inaccurate speedo Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:42 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
hulliojames wrote:The speedo on my K100 is showing speeds way less than I am doing. not good when one is running low on points.
Any help / hints would be appreciated.
HJ

This one is always good to know about too.

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t2038-karamba-speedometer-calibration-program-tutorial

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

4Back to top Go down   inaccurate speedo Empty Re: inaccurate speedo Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Here is another puzzle.
About a month ago, I replaced my back tire with a slightly smaller one.
I was surprise that the speedometer was totally inaccurate. (I expected a small difference, but not 20 kms at 90 and going all wrong after that).

As I didn't ride the bike for the last 3 weeks, last night I went to the shed to start it. The battery was on a battery tender as I found earlier that the charge was only 12.5 volts. (I was planning to replace the alternator). No problems at all, the bike started fine Very Happy
This morning was another story.....
Even if the battery was still on a battery tender, it was flat and wouldn't turn the starter.
I installed a spare battery and the bike started on the first push of the starter button.
During the ride (450k), I notice that my speedometer was accurate within 10km at all ranges and up to 150 as it was before (comparing speed with the GPS).
It seems that the low battery voltage was affecting the accuracy of the speedo.

Here is another interesting fact:
This spare battery has not been used for over a year, but was always plugged to a cheap solar panel ($15). It was fully charged!
This is a very cheap battery tender good for the long winter months. Very Happy

CF

5Back to top Go down   inaccurate speedo Empty Re: inaccurate speedo Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:45 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
On another list for cars that I belong to one of the members was talking about getting a solar panel for keeping the car charged and another member said he bought one last winter to put in the windscreen of his car whilst it was parked in the garage and it had been totally useless had not charged the battery at all and the guy could have it if he wanted it:-)
Regards,
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down   inaccurate speedo Empty Re: inaccurate speedo Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:08 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Nothing was plugged on the battery.
I don't know if it would have been as good if it had been on the bike and the clock was powered.

7Back to top Go down   inaccurate speedo Empty Re: inaccurate speedo Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:35 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I invested in 2 solar panels for battery tenders and both were as usefull as tits on a fish.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

8Back to top Go down   inaccurate speedo Empty Re: inaccurate speedo Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:41 am

hulliojames

hulliojames
Thanks for the input guys, when I get back home to the bike I will try, keep fingers crossed and hope for the best.

9Back to top Go down   inaccurate speedo Empty Re: inaccurate speedo Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:15 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
No point starting a new thread.

On the return journey from Bingara at the first stop Mr Klompy asked what my trip meter was. About 8km different than his. More.

Second re-fuel about 200km travelled. The difference was nearly 13km. (trip meter reset each time)
With all the police around speeds were close to the limit and I followed him all the way and my bike was showing 100 when I imagine Mr Klompy was doing the same.

And I used nearly 2 litres more than he did for the same leg. Not fuelled from the same bowser.
Mr Klompy has an RS and mine is an RT and gearing etc, but that is a lot of extra fuel. I could maybe blame my air leaks. Or lack of aerodynamics.
As for the extra speedo miles, we are both running the same rear tyre profile.
I was just looking at the Karamba test thingy and if my feeble mind can get around the wire bits will give it a go.

rossco

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

10Back to top Go down   inaccurate speedo Empty Re: inaccurate speedo Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I've calibrated two speedos using the Karamba and it worked well. There is about a 20% change from stop to stop on the adjustment pot in the speedo.
inaccurate speedo Speedo10

11Back to top Go down   inaccurate speedo Empty Re: inaccurate speedo Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:34 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Downloaded Karamba and actually got it to work.
My speed is accurate within +- 2kph at most speeds, but the distance is actually a lot more than shown on the bike.
I let it go for 10km at 100 kph then 130kph and the bike did about 400m less than the software
Can't see any point in adjusting it as the speed is correct and a bit of lower mileage is not going to hurt.

Now for those air leaks.

K1100RS 0194321

12Back to top Go down   inaccurate speedo Empty Re: inaccurate speedo Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:51 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
When I did the speedo on the K75 I had to pop the needle of and reposition it to get the odo and speedo correct. It still isnt right but getting closer as I play. I think someone had been at it before we got it and then I put a lower profile tyre on it for obvious reasons and that made it really bad.

13Back to top Go down   inaccurate speedo Empty Re: inaccurate speedo Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:55 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I would guess that it would make a difference that your bike is a ex police...
about the speedo accurancy.

Usually they are 8-10 % out to the high side.

14Back to top Go down   inaccurate speedo Empty Re: inaccurate speedo Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:48 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
rossco wrote:Downloaded Karamba and actually got it to work.
My speed is accurate within +- 2kph at most speeds, but the distance is actually a lot more than shown on the bike.
I let it go for 10km at 100 kph then 130kph and the bike did about 400m less than the software
Can't see any point in adjusting it as the speed is correct and a bit of lower mileage is not going to hurt.

Now for those air leaks.

could be the rear tyre size rossco ? i thought you could dial in the tyre dimensions in the software to get an acurate reading ? might involve making a mark on the tyre and measuring 1 full revolution ...on the road to get acurate stuff

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

15Back to top Go down   inaccurate speedo Empty Re: inaccurate speedo Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:03 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Yeah, I did the different tyre size thing in Karamba.
Just seems strange the speed would be almost perfect, yet the mileage is out by a lot.
I can live with it.
rossco

K1100RS 0194321

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum