BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Another new member from New Hampshire Empty Another new member from New Hampshire Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:19 am

sethburnell

sethburnell
Hi Everyone,

Greetings from Conway, NH, in the heart of the White Mountains and home to some great riding! I was lucky enough to have been given a 1988 K100RS by a relative about 3 years ago. After putting 85,000 miles on it over the 20 years prior, he decided to pass it onto me for my first bike, as long as I agreed to go out on rides with my father-in-law! I've used it pretty lightly so far, only putting 3,000 more miles on it, but now it's time for me to get more serious with the learning and maintenance. And maybe someday some serious aluminum polishing as well! I've been reading this forum and some of the others that show up on Google searches over the past few years, and it's reassuring to see such support and respect for these bikes, along with a wealth of information out there. With 2 young kids, I have limited time and very limited budget, but I'm hoping to learn the ins and outs of this beauty so I can keep it running for a long time.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Greetings Seth welcome to the forum.
You certainly have scored a good ride in that RS and come to the right place to get the required info to keep that beauty running sweetly.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hiya seth ....an 88 rs ...cool ...and a gift ....gee you got lucky there .

welcome to the forum ...enjoy your ride !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Welcome Seth. Living in the beautiful Whites with those mountains (I've heard the Old Man lost more than a tooth several years ago) surrounding you and on those incredible roads too, even if it's with your father-in-law. Better than with the mother-in-law, I s'pose!

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

BadjerJim

BadjerJim
Silver member
Silver member
Congratulations and welcome. The 88 model K100RS is an extremely cool bike. Not the fastest by modern standards, but with a skilled rider, it doesn't have to be.

There's tons of information here, and a lot of good an helpful people.

For me, learning the technical details and tinkering is almost as much fun as riding the bike.

Ride safe. Enjoy that RS.

Life time member
Life time member
BadjerJim wrote:Congratulations and welcome. The 88 model K100RS is an extremely cool bike. Not the fastest by modern standards, but with a skilled rider, it doesn't have to be.....

Ride safe. Enjoy that RS.

+1 BadjerJim !

Another new member from New Hampshire 177912 Seth, with small kids to look after you don't need to be the fastest on the road anyway.
but with 3 thousand miles up I bet you've got the feel for it now.
Enjoy!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard Seth - good to have you with us Wink

kfilipow

kfilipow
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome Seth. Rye Beach, Portsmouth and Lake Winnipesaukee all fond memories of my childhood. I know you have some great roads to ride. Ride Safe. kfilipow

sethburnell

sethburnell
Thank you all for your kind welcome; it's certainly neat to hear from people all over the world. I will likely be asking for some advice soon as I troubleshoot an intermittent but developing ignition issue!

beemer678

beemer678
Nice ride! Welcome to the forum!

sethburnell

sethburnell
Wow beemer, your bike looks great! I wish mine was half as clean as yours. But that's going to require hours and hours of work that I don't have! I've cleaned up a lot of the grease since this picture was taken, but the aluminum still has some pretty good stains. I see from another post that some success can be had with Scotch Brite or steel wool. I'll have to try that soon.

Another new member from New Hampshire Pa120111

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I don't worry too much about it being clean enough to eat off I use plates and go for a ride. Its good for the soul.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi Seth welcome to the forum.

BIG D

beemer678

beemer678
Thanks Seth! Just a piece at a time and it will take care of itself in the end. Save the cleaning for the rainy days though - get out there and enjoy the bike! Smile The one thing I haven't found an easy solution to clean yet is the wheels. Looks like some sort of powder-coat that does not want to clean up easily. Best of luck with the bike! Hope to see you riding around New Hampshire!

Motorandy123

Motorandy123
I find a fresh coat of paint is best when things won't clean up easily.
I used some auto touch up paint on the wheels of my 1991 K75;

Another new member from New Hampshire DSCN1296

beemer678

beemer678
Wow that does look a lot better. Maybe that's what I will have to do to clean up my wheels. Thanks!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum