BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Battery health Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:58 am

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Guys

Working on fixing the ABS and looking at battery health in the first instance (having discussed with Tosi most excellent ABS guru).

I have charged my battery for 36 hours and then left for 24. Charger indicates it is fully charged (green light on)

With the engine off and ignition on I am getting 11.78 volts from the battery.

Does this sound like a battery that needs to be replaced? Looking at my bundle of old receipts I think it is of Jan 2006 vintage.

It is between -4 and +6 Celsius here at the moment - to what extent could the cold affect battery voltage?

Is there anything else I should do to test battery health before digging deep and buying a new one?

Many thanks Very Happy
Dave

2Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Re: Battery health Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:35 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would expect a bit better from a good useable battery, up around 12.3 with the load of normal running drain and no charging.
Temperatures like you say will certainly affect a battery that is becomming marginal but a good fully charged one should be OK.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Re: Battery health Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:25 am

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Rick.

Sounds like I need a new one. Next decision - which one!? Any brand or technical reccomendations welcome.

Cheers
Dave

4Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Re: Battery health Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:59 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Odyssey is recommended on a lot of BMW forums,
for a good average lifetime and high cranking amps.

It should be a L model to have the connections correctly placed,
you also need a adapter set.

Have a look in OG`s resto thread, where you can see some pictures.

I think Motorworks is a retailer of these batteries.

5Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Re: Battery health Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:39 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Inge. Looks good, a bit on the pricey side just now. Yuasa seem OK, OEM on lots of bikes; a possibility. 🐱 (sorry my daughter liked this 'Emotion'!)
Cheers
Dave

http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/productprofile.asp?ProductGroupID=1903

6Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Re: Battery health Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:25 pm

electric_monk

electric_monk
Silver member
Silver member
I used an Odessey for a number of years in my Airhead GS and would agree it is a good battery. But when it came time to change I did a bit more research and decided that the Westco battery was the best option. It was recommended by a guy called Richie Moore of Moorespeed Engineering. I haven't used the GS in 3 weeks and the temperatures here are 1 or 2 degrees, when I went out to it today it started within 3 seconds, the airhead takes a whole lot more power to start than the K so it should be more than capable. I ordered mine online from Tayna uk and found their service and prices good at the time.

7Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Re: Battery health Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:37 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks electric monk, appreciate itr mate. I just ordered a Yuasa 53030 - I couldn't take the internet shopping experience any longer - just takes forever seraching through sites to find the best deal, it saps my will to live Mad; especially when some won't deliver up here, some don't include an acid pack etc etc etc.

Cheers
Dave

8Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Re: Battery health Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:16 pm

GerryP

GerryP
Silver member
Silver member
Presently going through the same procedure.

My battery (new in May) gave 12.2V after sitting all night at 1degC or thereabouts. That's after normal riding the previous day.

I did also fit a 50 amp alternator from a R1100GS (for the whole long sad story look here Crying or Very sad).

My own ABS computer is on the final leg of its journey home and should be with me on Tuesday.

Good luck...

K1100LT (1993) in Silk Blue/Cream
http://gerryparnham.com

9Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Re: Battery health Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:48 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Gerry,

Thanks for that mate, they are a bit tempremental eh? Wink

When I got the bike it had no 'brain' and Tosi sold me one - as luck would have it that was all it needed up to now.

I'll had a look at your thread - you're a braver man than me taking alook inside the brain!

Cheers
Dave

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum