BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   85 K100 seat question Empty 85 K100 seat question Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 pm

2slow

2slow
I've got an 85 K100 I know the seats were a one year deal question is can I change the fiberglass tail section to a say 89 year and run an 89 year seat I really like the Corbin Gunfighter seat but they don't make them to fit 85's other than the tail section does the seat mount the same thanks

2Back to top Go down   85 K100 seat question Empty Re: 85 K100 seat question Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:22 pm

robinm

robinm
Silver member
Silver member
I don't think it is as simple as that, all the body work is different, the tank,seat,tail section and side covers are all different between '85 and '86. The frame is also different in the area of seat hinges.

3Back to top Go down   85 K100 seat question Empty Re: 85 K100 seat question Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:54 am

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
They swap. All the K-100/1 (original eight valve bikes) used the same frame. The frame changed with the 16 valve bikes, the rear subframe is a little different to space the saddlebags out to clear the Paralever and the rear mud flap attaches differently. Even still, I am building a franken bike off a K-1100LT and am back-dating the bodywork to early K-100RT pieces. It all bolts on just fine. If you have an early K with the thermistor fuel level sensor the problem mounting a later tank isn't physically attaching it to the bike. It goes on just fine. The problem is the wiring harness not being configured for the float sensor.

1984 K-100RS Alaska Blue w/Parelever and 16V wheels.

1984 K-100RS Metallic Madison stock

1986 R-80G/S w/1000 cc engine

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Vivid Black stock

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

4Back to top Go down   85 K100 seat question Empty Re: 85 K100 seat question Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:56 am

BadjerJim

BadjerJim
Silver member
Silver member
Themason wrote:They swap. All the K-100/1 (original eight valve bikes) used the same frame. The frame changed with the 16 valve bikes, the rear subframe is a little different to space the saddlebags out to clear the Paralever and the rear mud flap attaches differently. Even still, I am building a franken bike off a K-1100LT and am back-dating the bodywork to early K-100RT pieces. It all bolts on just fine. If you have an early K with the thermistor fuel level sensor the problem mounting a later tank isn't physically attaching it to the bike. It goes on just fine. The problem is the wiring harness not being configured for the float sensor.

I disagree. The first year K-bike had the 'passenger grab handles' as a part of the seat. Later years had those as a part of the rear-cowl bodywork. Yes, the rear frame is the same... but the back bodywork is different. That's why the 1985 K-bikes require a unique and specific seat.

5Back to top Go down   85 K100 seat question Empty Re: 85 K100 seat question Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:32 am

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Themason wrote:They swap. All the K-100/1 (original eight valve bikes) used the same frame. If you have an early K with the thermistor fuel level sensor the problem mounting a later tank isn't physically attaching it to the bike. It goes on just fine. The problem is the wiring harness not being configured for the float sensor.

No, the early tanks fitted with a single bolt at the rear, around '86 they changed to the pin and circlip mount with different frame fittings.

Paul.

6Back to top Go down   85 K100 seat question Empty Re: 85 K100 seat question Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:36 am

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
[quote="BadjerJim"][quote="Themason"]They swap. All the K-100/1 (original eight valve bikes) used the same frame. The frame changed with the 16 valve bikes, the rear subframe is a little different to space the saddlebags out to clear the Paralever and the rear mud flap attaches differently. Even still, I am building a franken bike off a K-1100LT and am back-dating the bodywork to early K-100RT pieces. It all bolts on just fine. If you have an early K with the thermistor fuel level sensor the problem mounting a later tank isn't physically attaching it to the bike. It goes on just fine. The problem is the wiring harness not being configured for the float sensor.[/quote]

I disagree. The first year K-bike had the 'passenger grab handles' as a part of the seat. Later years had those as a part of the rear-cowl bodywork. Yes, the rear frame is the same... but the back bodywork is different. That's why the 1985 K-bikes require a unique and specific seat.[/quote]

I thought we were talking about the bodywork? No the seats and seat bases are different from the '85 and '86 model years, but you can swap the body work and fit the later seat to the older bike.

1984 K-100RS Alaska Blue w/Parelever and 16V wheels.

1984 K-100RS Metallic Madison stock

1986 R-80G/S w/1000 cc engine

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Vivid Black stock

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

7Back to top Go down   85 K100 seat question Empty Re: 85 K100 seat question Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:26 am

2slow

2slow
I know the 85 seat has the built in hand grabs and the hand grabs on the 89 is in the rear cowling but I want to change to an 89 tail piece and 89 seat will they bolt up to the frame and tank of an 85 bike

8Back to top Go down   85 K100 seat question Empty Re: 85 K100 seat question Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:51 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Plug and play (you only need upper half of the duck tail).

9Back to top Go down   85 K100 seat question Empty Re: 85 K100 seat question Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:39 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
As Inge says yes you can, your side covers will slip straight into the new cowl or duck tail and then the corbin gunfighter seat you want will go straight on. so if you can find one the same colour as your bike, its a straight swap job from go to stop

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

10Back to top Go down   85 K100 seat question Empty Re: 85 K100 seat question Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:24 pm

2slow

2slow
Thanks guys thats what I needed color won't be a problem as I'm going to repaint this winter

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum