admin
admin
Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 Shamro10

Happy St Patrick day!

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Bert, you really need to get out on your K more often instead of playing on the computer.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Comberjohn wrote:Bert, you really need to get out on your K more often instead of playing on the computer.

2 degrees outside and it starts to snow.
Big storm expected on Tuesday. Maybe 30 cms or almost a foot. No rides for at least 2 to 3 more weeks.

CF

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 Frog15Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Cool Bert. If I was Irish I'd be wanting one on my bike!

Cheers
Dave

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Aw c'mon Bert. We all thought that's why you bought the sidecar outfit.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Comberjohn wrote:Aw c'mon Bert. We all thought that's why you bought the sidecar outfit.

The outfit is still in my shop, and I am working on the electrical.
I just finished installing a radio, and had to redo the whole electrical for the accessories. Now everything is on fuses and relays (5 of them).
I still have to rewire the outfit, but that will be the easy part.

CF

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 Frog15Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Next time I'm going to arrange better weather for my trip down there! First 30 miles at around 25-30 mph in freezing fog with -1c. I would have turned back but Stephen had posted that morning that the sun was shining in Dublin, so I carried on.
Sure enough, just over the border and the sun came out and dry motorway. Up to 80mph(ish), Officer.
And this was the sight that awaited...
Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 20130312
Almost. Stephen was waiting for us at the wrong Costa Coffee.
So that was four ruffy, tuffy motorcyclists for our trip.

Onwards to the New Grange visitor centre which was only a few miles down the road.This is a World Heritage Site and was built over 5000 years ago as a Neolithic tomb. Well worth the visit. It has a small window set so that it only lets light in for 17 minutes when the sun comes up on the shortest day. Nothing the rest of the year. They have a light to imitate this in the tour, but boy, its dark until that light comes on. Very spooky.
Great value. Only 6 euros including the minibus to the mound and guided tour. They even brought us back, too!

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 20130319

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 20130315

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 20130317

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 20130318

On we went along some really lovely roads. They would be marvellous in the summer months, although, it was dry and sunny with the temp about 10C.
Stopped for a bite of lunch in Navan. We had to abandon part of the planned route because we were talking too much.
Travelled on to Trim where they have a great castle. This was where the movie, Braveheart was filmed.

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 Dscf1810

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 Dscf1813

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 Dscf1814

Here's one for our Australian brethren.

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 Dscf1811

Notice the wall in the middle of the photo. This is what remains of the 'New Trim Gaol' where prisoners in Ireland where first transported to Australia from. Bring back any memories for older forum members?

While paying to get into the castle, the lady in the kiosk was going to give me a 'senior' ticket! She said that she had been looking at Stephen who was standing behind me. I think that she either had a squint or was in love and looking for a sugar daddy in Stephen.

Here's one from the top of the castle down to where Will(88) and me had parked.

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 Dscf1812

Unfortunately, Will(88) had to part company at this point and the three of us made our way to the Hill of Tara, where they used to crown the kings of Ireland.

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 20130316

There's not a lot to see but its a terrific viewpoint and you can see for miles in all directions.
We parted company at this point as the other two were heading south and the weather looked like it would close in soon. It did for me anyway!
We missed you, Olaf. You would have enjoyed it, especially with your interest in Irish history. Although, we may have had to gag you before the end of the day!
Hope I haven't bored you all with too many photos.

Travelling back up the motorway, I was about 40 miles from home when the temperature dropped to zero and I ran into a big hailstone shower. From then on, it was sleet and it didn't get any warmer. Wife couldn't believe we had such good weather that day. She does believe me sometimes, honest.
We had a great day and are looking forward to the next one, hopefully, with a few more faces the next time.

Last edited by Comberjohn on Mon 18 Mar 2013 - 6:37; edited 1 time in total

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Good photos and even better narrative Comberjohn! Thanks.
Cold, wet and snowy/sleety here too; still I might have gone somewhere today if I didn't have a sore head from an all day rugby-fest yesterday.
Cheers
Dave

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Ringfad

Ringfad
Life time member
Life time member
Comberjohn

I am only getting back online now. Many thanks for organising this route, I still don't understand how we got such a good day. I am looking forward to the next one.

;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 60K Km     ;BMW;  K1100RS Black 1996       ;BMW; K1 Blue 1990 25K Miles

Life time member
Life time member
Crazy Frog wrote:Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 Shamro10

Happy St Patrick day!

That's great Bert, I'm going to get a couple of sheets of vinyl stickers made up for the guys!

@ Comberjohn - I ran into one of those hail showers just before dusk. I couldn't help feeling smug behind my fairing Twisted Evil

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
some excelent pics cj and will ...thanks for sharing your day out with us

so glad it was fine for you guys ...

it seems that the k fervour is alive and well with our irish friends

roll on summer ...and our autumn

actuall got sunburnt on the 900k round trip south to seaniis place over the weekend ....lets hope my next trip will be on gerty

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
How wonderful is that thanks Bert for making my day a little bit brighter.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
For 88KE,
not quite the correct place to post the link, but I know you will see it here.

Think you are gonna have to move to Aus and grab this little beauty.

1988LT
It is in Queensland and you will have to suffer the occasional warm day (wet or dry), but I think the colour suits you. Maybe it is your eyes.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sweet looking bike rossco i would love to send it ..."over there " for 88

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Looks like a great day out guys, inspirational, enjoyed the pics, we had the fog but at least it wasn't freezing.
CF, you just gave me a thought, maybe a different BMW logo for each continental forum group, the centre piece depicting the country of origin , that Irish logo is tops, can you insribe "K100.forum.com" around the bottom edge.

Charlie , you could reduce postage weight by trimming it down in parts. Very Happy

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 10_x_110

Nice shots there. Thanks for that!

Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:sweet looking bike rossco i would love to send it ..."over there " for 88

Thanks for the thought Charlie and Rossco, that looks peachy even if it is twice what mine cost. check out the low kms cheers don't think I'd stick the temperature in summer in Queensland but I'm hoping to find out one day In person!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K75RTP - 1994

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Comberjohn wrote:Aw c'mon Bert. We all thought that's why you bought the sidecar outfit.

Yeah right, -13 degrees this morning. The car is warming up in my driveway. Very Happy

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yeah OK you can drive the car today if ya want Brrrrrr I would only a nut case would ride.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

tom foley

tom foley
Silver member
Silver member
Sorry I missed this one. Good photos Comber John, you should do the Irish Photo rally. I sold my K100 to purchase a K75 Ultima in near immaculate condition from a gentleman that had planned to retire from motorcycling. He has decided not to retire after all. !"£$%^&*()_+..................

sgmayhew

sgmayhew
Silver member
Silver member
A postscript to prove that Will (88KE) was actually at Newgrange on Saturday!
Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 100_1112

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
groverK wrote:Looks like a great day out guys, inspirational, enjoyed the pics, we had the fog but at least it wasn't freezing.
CF, you just gave me a thought, maybe a different BMW logo for each continental forum group, the centre piece depicting the country of origin , that Irish logo is tops, can you insribe "K100.forum.com" around the bottom edge.

The BMW logo holds a copywrite, and any modification must be approved by BMW.
They have strict rules and even club logos cannot have anything masking the blue and white part.

The idea is great, but I honestly cannot promote it. The Irish one is the exception only for a day a year.

If people want to make their own, so be it. Wink. It will be a personal (or group decision) and the forum will not be responsible for it.

I'd like to thanks the Irish people for the amazing pictures and reports of the ride.

Next September, one of my friend will be visiting Ireland, and I wish that she can meet few of you for a cold pint (She's not a biker but she's a fun girl to party with. Great sense of humour! ).

Cheers,

CF.

Life time member
Life time member
tom foley wrote:Sorry I missed this one. Good photos Comber John, you should do the Irish Photo rally. I sold my K100 to purchase a K75 Ultima in near immaculate condition from a gentleman that had planned to retire from motorcycling. He has decided not to retire after all. !"£$%^&*()_+..................

Does that mean you are K-less at the moment Tom?

@ Stephen....That's a great camera you have, it makes me look nearly as tall as Simon Laughing

Finished my weekends riding today with a 150 mile run home mostly along the N80, which being a bank holiday, was very light on commercial traffic. Stopped for a spot of lunch at Stradbally Fayre and took the only parking space available outside, just to mark our spot. 10 mins later a large group of GS riders pulled in and had to use the far side of the street, damned interlopers Very Happy.

just under 500 miles up for the weekend - most enjoyable!

K75RTP - 1994

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Tom, that's a great idea about the Irish Photo rally. I was looking up the website and I think I'll give it a go. Like it says on the site, its a great way to overcome the inertia and give me a reason to organise a run on the bike.
There's 24 spots all over Ireland and while its not a competition, there's a an award for 12 or more photos that must include your bike.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Comberjohn

Truly excellent narrative and photos....something of the historian in you, must be to do with that famous part of Ireland you live in.

All round seems very much an excellent day, sunshine as usual. Fabulous photos, some great spots and lots of good old chat etc etc. Why would one possibly migrate from a K to anything else?

However you have cleanly eliminated any possible thoughts I could possibly have of putting my K back as a naked bike. I have distant but still vivid memories of a naked Honda 500-4 back in 1976 in freezing weather and though, never again. Despite the best of gear all it does is slow down the rate of heat loss, it cant stop it. However when I fitted that same bike with a full fairing became a fantastic comfortable long distance tourer.

I will update on the replacement K......slow progress...

92KK

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good thoughts 92 ....

hope you find your beauty soon mate ,,,such a sad story to hear of her leaving home ..

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Olaf, I think the ideal is to have a faired bike for the cold and a naked one for the warmer weather and a bit of fun. At least that's my proposal to the financial controller.
It would be nice to have a bike to tinker with while having one on the road.
Is your K really a write off or would it be possible to rebuild with used parts?
Might be better than taking on an unknown bike.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

Life time member
Life time member
Comberjohn wrote:Olaf, I think the ideal is to have a faired bike for the cold and a naked one for the warmer weather and a bit of fun. At least that's my proposal to the financial controller.

That is the solution CJ, I'm doubly convinced having sat on your and having my fairing for the ride west.

I think buying a second bike involves something about buying the controller a horse Crying or Very sad Check with Ajays Laughing

Last edited by 88KE on Thu 21 Mar 2013 - 9:50; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typing typing words twice)

K75RTP - 1994

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
88KE, Comberjohn......

Then you will like this one....to set it up as a naked bike 92KK only needs a rear cowl with the cowl mounted indicators, headlight, mounts and front indicators, right hand engine cover and gasket to get back running as far as I can see. Most of my miles are done on work trips where I need all the panniers etc so naked isnt really a lot of use for me except an occasional sunny weekend. Its not a lot but my main priority is to get back on the road. I have half a plan too to take bike to France in the summer.......

It sems like we have an excellent historian in our midst, the photos and the narrative are extremely interesting and informative.....

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

tio Jaimito

tio Jaimito
Silver member
Silver member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=BzWf-6UzQUA&feature=endscreen
The got a good shot of your ride from the helecopter.Wink
James Irwin

Peggy's 1987 K75s Columbia Grey 9500miles 6 valve.

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 K100_m12

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 K75_po12
Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 Basil_10
http://www.nachicagonorth.com

tio Jaimito wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=BzWf-6UzQUA&feature=endscreen
James Irwin

Madness!
Do you yield, sir?

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
would'nt dare try on our Aussie roads.
Mind you I think Klompy came close to it last weekend, whilst chasing a cati, good boy Klompy, now sit.

2018 Kart upgrade.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Great ride report and lovely photos of the merry band of K-Men, looks like a great day out.
Regards,
K-BIKE

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Some lovely posts indeed....

My K is more of an insurance write off than a wreck.

Non critical items gone include pannier frame locks, both pannier mounting arms, screen, lower right hand fairing panel, 'front' fairing needs spraying, front fairing mounting spider, both mirror pods, various associated gaskets/screws and paints.

Critical items for a naked bike would be petrol tank, right hand engine cover and gasket, rear mudguard/light/indicators, round headlight/headlight fairing, radiator cowl sides handlebar mirrors.

My experience of Irish weather is very very few days where a naked bike is good for a decent run. Sun at 10degC is still freezing when you take in wind chill factor.

I costed up everything to get it back on the road as is and its looking like about €1,200 parts and paint[Motorworld mix of secondhand and new] and before adding labour of any kind. I reckon since its has 102,000 miles it will serve me better as a spares bike. It was also due new tyres, brake pads, air filter and coolant change.

Will keep us posted......

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
after all this time some irish etcentricity to share around the aussies ...what a fond reminder of our "k bike" brothers over there in the "Emerald Isle " and St Patricks day not long gone ....cheers to you lot !

all the usual suspects will be sharing the green around our dry land soonish

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 1544609_10200702730570853_1182651668_n

tomfoley

tomfoley
Silver member
Silver member
Saxon7 wrote:
tio Jaimito wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=BzWf-6UzQUA&feature=endscreen
James Irwin

Madness!
Do you yield, sir?
YIELD? NEVER.Ulster says no. Worlds greatest sport but true madness is riding a motorcycle on open roads everyday, but the addiction is chronic and incurable and never ends until death us do part.

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
looks good Charlie , 

Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 Gerty10

does this mean you now only drink Guinness.
Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 Irish_10

Last edited by GroverK on Sun 24 Jan 2016 - 10:14; edited 1 time in total

2018 Kart upgrade.

Life time member
Life time member
The cases came up a treat Charlie. Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 112350  Thought you said you weren't making a show bike ?

Mine?...Well lets just say it would make a show of me  Irish Eccentrics Patricks Day/Weekend. - Page 2 652573

K75RTP - 1994

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum