BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Hello from Texas Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:39 pm

otterobotter

otterobotter
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking for a while but haven't really had anything to say (no expertise) and no questions yet (can't really post from the side of the highway).

I bought an '85 RS in November sight unseen and had it freighted from Reno to Houston. It's my first motorcycle, so I have been riding it like crazy. I did a 5,000 mile road trip from Houston to LA and back last month. So far everything has been perfect except a couple of hiccups with dirty grounds and also the fuel pump power supply wanting to wriggle out. I discovered it is not a good thing to lose power to the fuel pump at 70mph on a busy highway.

Today I woke up with the urge to get naked, so I took the fairing off and am shopping around for headlights, brackets, and signals. I was thinking I might want sportier handlebars, too, but I am going to get situated with the naked thing first.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm sure I'll have some questions when I start doing more maintenance.

Best,

Jack
instagram: jd_mussett

Hello from Texas Img_2011
Hello from Texas Img_2010

2Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Re: Hello from Texas Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:26 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Greetings from Australia Jack and welcome to the forum. Sure sounds like you have been doing some miles then again thats what they were made for.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

tio Jaimito

tio Jaimito
Silver member
Silver member
Howdy Jack. I love Houston.. Great town. I drove past there in January, picking up a great K75s for my wife, and bringing it to flatlandia (Chicago). Good to have you on the forum. The folks here are great.

UJ

Peggy's 1987 K75s Columbia Grey 9500miles 6 valve.

Hello from Texas K100_m12

Hello from Texas K75_po12
Hello from Texas Basil_10
http://www.nachicagonorth.com

4Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Hello from Texas Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:21 am

Tom G

Tom G
Life time member
Life time member
G'day Jack and welc0me to the forum.I also went naked with my 75S mainly because of the damaging the fairing after a drop incident and it was painful to have to remove the belly of the fairing for an oil change.Put RT handlebars on it and fitted a Suzuki GSF450 headlight into a BMW headlight fairing. All is working well. Good luck with your project - there is tons of knowledge and wisdom out there.Cheers Tom

5Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Re: Hello from Texas Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:17 am

CommanderKewl

CommanderKewl
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome jack!
Im one of your neighbors here in spring, so if you are needing a thing or two, i might be able to help.

Nice ride there! Ive got some parts for the naked look, but the housing that i received with the bike is seriously lacking.. A total naked look should be nice.

You take care..

Mikey

6Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Re: Hello from Texas Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:22 am

abbocath

abbocath
Silver member
Silver member
Be welcome Jack!

Best rides from Portugal!

7Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Re: Hello from Texas Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:23 pm

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome Jack. You'll find some great information on the forum. Good luck with the naked project!

1985 K100RT

8Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Re: Hello from Texas Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum, Jack.
Just recently went from RT to naked on my '84. You'll never go back.
There are a few threads on the subject on the forum including mine, Repositioning the clocks

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

9Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Re: Hello from Texas Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:20 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the Knuthaus Jack, this assylum is run by the inmates but they know lots to help you. Good to have you along.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

10Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Re: Hello from Texas Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:05 am

otterobotter

otterobotter
Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone. I kind of wish I haven't been poking around; I am now so in love with Basic2's Basic/2. I know I can't get close to that, but I am saving up for a radiator surround and will try my best to approximate the look of the headlight assembly...

I know naked's not for everyone. I am debating whether or not to hold on to the RS fairing in case I change my mind. Mostly I am excited about getting around town without all the weight.

11Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Re: Hello from Texas Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:11 am

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome!
http://eideard.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/slow-down.jpg?w=700
Purported sign from Texas.
Obviously not referring to us....said with tongue in cheek. Smile
Met Texans in the military.
Plain speaking..and the best friends that one could have...or the worst adversaries. Smile

Last edited by JimK on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total

12Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Re: Hello from Texas Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:19 am

otterobotter

otterobotter

13Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Re: Hello from Texas Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:28 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Thats the usual sign on the gate into the DOT.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

14Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Re: Hello from Texas Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:21 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, it's the zombies who want you to slow down. Cool

15Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Re: Hello from Texas Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:02 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Jack,
Good to have you with us and great to read you are enjoying your bike.
Regards,
K-BIKE

16Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Re: Hello from Texas Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:58 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum Jack - my cousin lives in Houston but sadly he is not really into bikes Wink

17Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Re: Hello from Texas Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:14 pm

otterobotter

otterobotter
Update!

Looking good and spent less than 100usd for the conversion so far. I think I am going to sell the RS fairing. I am not crazy about the brackets for the indicators, so I will keep working on them.

Hello from Texas Img_2013

18Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty naked Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:54 pm

styenchko

styenchko
Looking good there. I saw a K75 in Denver the other day with a smart little cover that protected the harness and horns and cluster, not sure where you could pick one up but I bet that'd be right up your alley. I had mine naked for a while but the wind at higher speeds was a bit much. Got a bikini fairing from the junkyard for 50 cents that works well enough, gives the bike a real 1970s look.

Know anything about emissions in Houston? The TX DPS site is a little hazy.

19Back to top Go down   Hello from Texas Empty Re: Hello from Texas Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:15 am

otterobotter

otterobotter
Thanks! Motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing in Texas.

I am not sure about the windscreen yet. I did a short trip from Houston to Austin this week. The speed limit is 75 most of the way. It wasn't so bad, especially once I turned so that the wind was at my back.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum