BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Howdy from Texas Empty Howdy from Texas Thu May 09, 2013 1:13 am

hotpuppy

hotpuppy
Howdy,
I picked up a 1986 K100 this past weekend. She has 100,114 miles on her and has been around the block a couple of times. The person I bought her from traded into her but decided not to keep her. The owner prior did a bunch of work including the routine maintenance. It's one of the reasons I chose the bike over other options on the market. I was lucky enough to have two K100's on the market in Houston when I was looking. Unfortunately, the less expensive one had no maintenance done for the last 5 years, making it a really risky proposition.

At any rate, this is my second bike, but I have not ridden in 15 years. My last bike was a Kawasaki KH-250A5 (2cycle, triple carb). Fun bike, lots of get up and get gone. I'm taking my BRC this weekend so I can get my motorcycle license (finally Smile ). I wanted a bike that I could grow into that had a good maintenance reputation and that didn't look like something from Junkyard Wars.

The K100 fits that bill nicely and the wealth of knowledge on this forum and motobrick is sincerely appreciated.

Things I am actively looking for:
PDF of the owner's manual
PDF of the service manual.
Recommendations on a good loud aftermarket horn.

The horns I have appear to be stock. They sound like a cross between a duck and a cat. Mwaaaaah Mwaaaaah. They are barely audible over the sound of the engine idling. I need something that will cut through glass, interrupt iPhones, and penetrate the sanctity of a Lexus as it's trying to kill me. Smile My selection so far is a PIAAA model 85115 Amazon $52 YouTube Audio Demo Runner up is a Wolo 619 Big Bad Max Amazon $45.91 YouTube Audio - 2:20 into the video.

I think the PIAAA is louder.. but I want to find out what others are using.....

One other note, the horns appear to have blown a fuse.... I replaced it tonight and wasn't able to make it blow again... but it's one of those things I'm sure I'll be tracking down sooner then later.

What the bike looks like right now:
Howdy from Texas 2013-011

Alternate Fairing that a previous owner had on it a couple of months ago - but a nice picture of the bike.
Howdy from Texas 2q9yp3a

2Back to top Go down   Howdy from Texas Empty Re: Howdy from Texas Thu May 09, 2013 1:53 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi Hotpuppy great to have you along for the ride.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Howdy from Texas Empty hi kiaora hotpuppy Thu May 09, 2013 6:50 am

mawhera

mawhera
Gold member
Gold member
Hi from down under, wow looks real nice, what sort of $$ was it? Great riding country there I bet. Get down to NZ sometime small but Kheaven.
rick

4Back to top Go down   Howdy from Texas Empty Re: Howdy from Texas Thu May 09, 2013 3:45 pm

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member

5Back to top Go down   Howdy from Texas Empty Re: Howdy from Texas Thu May 09, 2013 5:02 pm

hotpuppy

hotpuppy
Avenger GT wrote:Hi Hotpuppy,

Download factory workshop manual here.

http://www.flyingbrick.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106&Itemid=153&lang=en

Thank you!

Any idea where I can find a "owner's manual"? I don't expect anything magical in it, but it might be nice to read through.

6Back to top Go down   Howdy from Texas Empty K100 in Texas Thu May 09, 2013 7:07 pm

tio Jaimito

tio Jaimito
Silver member
Silver member
Howdy Hotpuppy, Welcome to this forum. A great, smart and helpful bunch of fellers. I just stole a K75s from Killeen in January. The republic has some nice Ks down there. She looks like a great bike, and you have a nice low mileage specimen. there.
Tio Jaimito

Peggy's 1987 K75s Columbia Grey 9500miles 6 valve.

Howdy from Texas K100_m12

Howdy from Texas K75_po12
Howdy from Texas Basil_10
http://www.nachicagonorth.com

7Back to top Go down   Howdy from Texas Empty Re: Howdy from Texas Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Der Ziegelstein

Der Ziegelstein
Factory horns are plenty loud enough. If they both sound sick, the problem may lie with the horn relay.

2004 R1150RT "Dunkle Ruβ"

8Back to top Go down   Howdy from Texas Empty Re: Howdy from Texas Sat May 11, 2013 11:28 pm

hotpuppy

hotpuppy
Good to know on the horn relay..... I'll check that out and see if it's the issue.

Did day one of BRC today and afterwords a friend and I took the bike out for a spin in the neighborhood. First time I had a chance to ride her. Runs like a top, shifts great.... has the K series speedo. It does work, but only after you are doing about 10-12mph. lol. Still trying to get a feel for the fuel level. I could hear the fuel pump so I went and topped it off... it needed 3.5 gallons. Not empty and not full either.

Very very happy with the bike and looking forward to lots of happy miles.

9Back to top Go down   Howdy from Texas Empty Re: Howdy from Texas Sat May 18, 2013 1:33 am

hotpuppy

hotpuppy
hotpuppy wrote:Good to know on the horn relay..... I'll check that out and see if it's the issue.

Did day one of BRC today and afterwords a friend and I took the bike out for a spin in the neighborhood. First time I had a chance to ride her. Runs like a top, shifts great.... has the K series speedo. It does work, but only after you are doing about 10-12mph. lol. Still trying to get a feel for the fuel level. I could hear the fuel pump so I went and topped it off... it needed 3.5 gallons. Not empty and not full either.

Very very happy with the bike and looking forward to lots of happy miles.

Turned out they were aftermarket horns... cheap ones. I put a set of PIAA horns on and I'm much happier. I made a post with a YouTube link under electrical with a short comparison before and after.

I also had some time to play with a video camera I picked up this week and I made a couple of videos of riding the bike. There wasn't much in the way of K100 riding videos on YouTube, so hopefully this will let people see that they are a fun bike to ride.

The short one: [url=Short Ride Video (5 min)]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxS4vnYK3ME[/url]

I realized I had forgot my wallet, so I wound up circling back to get it. I was going for a 30 minute ride on the way to have dinner with a buddy.

The long one (better scenery) : [url=Long Ride Video - edited to 8 min]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0YKuQMJOq8[/url]

I made a video about the mount, but have not had time to edit and post it. If you are interested just subscribe to my YT channel and it should let you know when I post that video.

10Back to top Go down   Howdy from Texas Empty Re: Howdy from Texas Sat May 18, 2013 2:17 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Good work hotpuppy on uploading video to YouTube.

We love videos!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

11Back to top Go down   Howdy from Texas Empty Re: Howdy from Texas Sat May 18, 2013 3:34 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hotpuppy wrote:Still trying to get a feel for the fuel level. I could hear the fuel pump so I went and topped it off... it needed 3.5 gallons. Not empty and not full either.

maybe the return valve in the fuel tank mate ....it taps away as flow is happening ...quite disconcerting the first time you hear it as its quite a quick rattle.. as if it is the fuel pump ......it does shut up at times though .

after a while you learn to ignore it ....but a good thing to hear ...as then you know the system is working properly

congrats on the ride .....have fun !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

12Back to top Go down   Howdy from Texas Empty Re: Howdy from Texas Sat May 18, 2013 3:05 pm

hotpuppy

hotpuppy
blaKey wrote:Good work hotpuppy on uploading video to YouTube.

We love videos!

Thanks.... I'll keep posting them as I ride. The angle is just right and I actually enjoyed re-watching my rides. Smile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum