BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Tue May 28, 2013 10:10 am

JOINYMAN

JOINYMAN
Silver member
Silver member
Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day perfect for riding your bikes. So I get the gear on and off I go. Ten minutes down the road I come behind a bloke in his car, who suddenly decides to stop and reverse, I stopped in the middle of the road and he just kept on coming until he had reversed over my mud guard and scrunched the fairing. Now I could not believe this. Things then went from bad to worse because he will not admit liability and of course it is my word against his. Bloody fuming or what. I could go through my insurance but then will have to pay and possibly loose my XS. He has offered to settle if I can get a quote to repair the fairing as long as it is reasonable. Now my dilemma is, is it an expensive procedure to mend it because it is not terrible but it has got several cracks in it, or do I take the hit and go through my insurance.

2Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Tue May 28, 2013 10:49 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If he has offered to settle then that is as good as admitting he is at fault. If you can get a recording of him saying that he has offered to pay. Cant say for the UK but in Oz if you are part of the recording and it's not on the phone then it will stand up.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am

JOINYMAN

JOINYMAN
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for replying. The trouble was he was too quick for me.Plus I do tend to think that everyone is as honest as me. Lesson learnt the hard way. The other thing that concerns me is, as you well know fairings are not easy to come by and I am just a bit worried that if it is mended will it look as good as it did before, because it was bloody immaculate. Is it difficult to change it to the RS model ?, or is that a stupid idea.

4Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Unfortunate Tue May 28, 2013 11:50 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I think I would have snatched his fancy "Cat" stature off the hood of his Jag and held it for ransom till he fixed my bike! Lord knows if he's driving a Jag, he has the funds to make it right.
Hold out for an undamaged part......as a cracked, repaired part will always be a cracked part.
Get a lawyer

5Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Tue May 28, 2013 8:53 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Go and report it to the police and in the conversation tell them that you think he may have been drinking because he was acting like he wanted to get the hell out real quick. They will catch up with him and give him the third degree. If he is insured go his insurance then they have to fix as they dont have a write off contract with you only him. Dont tell your insurance unless its a last resort.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

6Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Tue May 28, 2013 10:24 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
RicK G wrote:Go and report it to the police and in the conversation tell them that you think he may have been drinking because he was acting like he wanted to get the hell out real quick. They will catch up with him and give him the third degree. If he is insured go his insurance then they have to fix as they dont have a write off contract with you only him. Dont tell your insurance unless its a last resort.

sorry to hear that JOINYMAN

Here is what's happen to me about 20 years ago.
On a rotary, a car cut my way and dented my fender.
It was a young guy and he was very afraid that his insurance would go up sky after a collision.
As a cop was standing not far from the point of impact, to avoid a police report, he agreed to sign a paper and took the full responsibility for the damages.

Few days later, he called me and decided not to pay as his insurance told him that on a rotary, it was a 50/50 fault (This is false and you can argue in court).
On the statement that he signed on the accident scene, nothing was mentioned about where the collision happened.
I just told him that if I didn't get the money within the next 2 hours, I would go to the police and told them that he went through a red light and as he was impaired, he signed the statement to avoid being convicted.
An hour later I had the cash in my hand.

For your bike, get an estimate and submit it to him. ask him to Email you his answer.
If he replies that this is too expensive and he will not pay, this is an admission of guilt as if it was cheaper, he would pay.

CF

7Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Wed May 29, 2013 6:45 am

mawhera

mawhera
Gold member
Gold member
Bstd, what to do? If you are covered and have his plate, name address etc, make a statement to your insurer and police, agree advise him you suspect he was inpaired, he must have been even if it was genetically predispositoned.
If not insured I'd go to his adddress and have a word re him paying up, include your time in the quote. I assume the wheel was wrecked. What a total nutter he must have been under the influence / impaired.
I had a Holden - a threatened species of Aussie car - run thru a give way sign on me yesterday and wave a fist at me as I locked up the rotors, probably half pissed. Extremely dangerous out there, good luck with the struggle for K justice.
rick

8Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Wed May 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Life time member
Life time member
I agree with the guys Joinyman, always best to report these things to the authorities and let them know he has offered to sort it out. If he fails to come good you can always revert to them and go the official route later.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

9Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Wed May 29, 2013 2:51 pm

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
It should be reported to the police..... It is an offence not to.
Your ins. company will want to know what was said.
The only problem is that replacing the fairing is so expensive it may be cheaper for the ins. company to write the bike off

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

10Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Thu May 30, 2013 1:59 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
the.postman wrote:It should be reported to the police..... It is an offence not to.

Only if personal injury is involved or the owner of property damaged isn't aware.

11Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Thu May 30, 2013 2:25 am

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
That's a bugger mate, glad you're OK.

If there is no legal requirement to involve insureres I would maybe not bother as someone else has said they would be quite likley to write the bike off. I would do a rough c;aculation and ask for the cash now before the guy changes his mind. You can then get some parts from Motorworks/Ebay etc and fix her up. If you need respray include that too.

Cheers
Dave

12Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Thu May 30, 2013 3:55 pm

gmcq

gmcq
Gold member
Gold member
Bummer. Similar happened to me when I lived on the Isle of Man. Turning right at a set of lights, the old boy in front decided he didn't want to turn right and started reversing - into my F650. Horn on but he kept reversing finally hitting the bike but kept on going, pushing me backwards! A passerby slapped his car so he stopped. Thankfully no damage, he said "I didn't see you". I wont post what I said back as CF will ban me. Hopefully it all works out for you.

GMcQ

13Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Thu May 30, 2013 9:30 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
We call them a SMIDSY Sorry Mate I Didn't See You. And I have been known to shout at then Where 's your bloody hat.

14Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Fri May 31, 2013 5:21 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
The days has come when we should use cameras. Look on youtube and see whats recorded. Amazing stuff but cant be disputed.

92KK

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

15Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Fri May 31, 2013 5:33 am

mawhera

mawhera
Gold member
Gold member
ae the cameras are getting really good now and cheaper?. I'd have loved a good one mounted when on tour, to get the shots you can't stop to get. A lot of commercial drivers have them streaming continuously these days to capture incidents as they happen.
hope he gets compo for being jagged.

Rick
K IWI land
New Zealand

16Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Fri May 31, 2013 7:24 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
yes camera's are a good idea so's a mattock handle, depends on the mood really

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

17Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Fri May 31, 2013 10:10 am

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
To get back to the original question...... No

I drive a Jaguar, it's a delightful car, cheap to buy, because of the fuel it uses. mine is the last of the real jags, before they started putting jag badges on ford mondeos (x series) ,a 1996 x300 with only 85,000 on the clock,
it cost over £80k when new, I picked it up for £1500.
So you don't have to be rolling in it to drive a classic Jag, driven carefully I can get 20 mpg on local runs and 35 mpg on M/way journeys. It's cheaper than the bus or a taxi.

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

18Back to top Go down   Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Empty Re: Are all Jaguar Drivers w...... Fri May 31, 2013 5:08 pm

JOINYMAN

JOINYMAN
Silver member
Silver member
When I first posted this topic I wondered if any of you guys had a jag , lets face it there was a good chance someone could have one, so I must apologise to the K forum members. However , the second it happened I knew I was in trouble , the jag was a 61 plate , black , shiny , and oozing tosser , and it turned out to be correct. When you ve been on this planet long enough you just know.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum