BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Someone here will know Empty Someone here will know Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Fooling around today with the rs, I took a somewhat flexable piece of plastic (urethane??? not sure) and a pair of scissors and a heat gun to see if I could get a rough idea of how to divert some of the outlet heat further out & behind my legs. I already have the aftermarket heat shields in place of the coil & alternator covers & they help a lot. I still tend to burn my lower shins in the summer in Arizona. Driving around today I just put my hand down and outboard at the rear of the vent and the immediate difference was remarkable.
So I fitted up a (Crude) prototype. They are curled over at the forward end to "Hook" on the front inside edge of the vents, then formed to follow the rounded contour of the fairing. They are attached near the back of each vent right now with double sided tape just for fitment. They stick out into the airstream about 6 inches (perhaps more than needed). The plastic is very flexible, not quite rubbery, so they'll flex back easily in the strong wind or if they impact something.
They could be easily designed so you just slip em into the vents till the fronts hook the edge of the scoop, pull back slightly to set and maybe snap a rear edge around the back edge of the lower to secure them. Then just lift them off when you don't want them.
I have to guess that someone's already come up with this. What's already available &. Where can I get some?
I don't want those clip on plexiglass "wings" that have the little hinges on them "ala" Gold Wing" & I really don't want to drill holes for bolts in the fiberglass.
I have some interest in the accessory side scoop that BMW came up with to go forward of the RT vent.....apparently just takes air in the front & straight through out the rear, but must work somehow????? Anyone know if those can be fitted to an rs?
Tell me what you know on this subject.
Thanks, Jman
Someone here will know Sam_3428
Someone here will know Sam_3429
Someone here will know Sam_3430

2Back to top Go down   Someone here will know Empty Re: Someone here will know Wed May 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Can't ever recall seeing anything like that but if it works run with it. Mind the fairings on a K are a big improvement over the R80/100RT now that was a foot cooker if ever there was.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Someone here will know Empty changing Wed May 29, 2013 9:08 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I looked at these again & decided they are WAY too wide. I expect if they were only to be sticking out about 2" they'ed be sufficient to create some change in the hot air curling around the back edge of the fairing and right on to the shins.

4Back to top Go down   Someone here will know Empty Re: Someone here will know Wed May 29, 2013 9:27 pm

Alheng

Alheng
Gold member
Gold member
That's a really clean K. Where did you get the alternator/coil shield from. I can just imagine how hot it will be when summer kicks in full swing down under.

Do keep us posted on developments.

5Back to top Go down   Someone here will know Empty Alternator & coild side covers Wed May 29, 2013 10:05 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I have a "recycler" who I originally bought that ($500) bike from. It was in saaaaaaad shape.
He has lots of used stuff and he had the heat shields. I don't think they are being made any more.......someone here said that there's another guy that bought the molds and is making them, but I've never seen any documentation.
My parts friend even found me a genuine "BMW" Embroidered hand grease towel for the original tool kit. A somewhat rare piece these days.
I don't know if he has any more shields.
parthaus@aol.com
His name is Josh......you can enquire.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum