BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Front Disks Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:53 pm

I finally got around to cleaning the PO's left overs from a blown fork seal off the front rim while I have it off the bike and I also checked the disks while I was there. One is about 3.65mm while the left is 3.45mm so it's below the limit.

Can I just change one front disk at a time or do I need to do both disks at the same time?

I was hoping not to outlay any more cash till late July-August, after tax Crying or Very sad

2Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:01 pm

metalist2006

metalist2006
RobinW wrote:I finally got around to cleaning the PO's left overs from a blown fork seal off the front rim while I have it off the bike and I also checked the disks while I was there. One is about 3.65mm while the left is 3.45mm so it's below the limit.

Can I just change one front disk at a time or do I need to do both disks at the same time?

I was hoping not to outlay any more cash till late July-August, after tax Crying or Very sad
Budget solution could be to install new brake pads. They will provide a better fit during braking, until the end of the season will be enough.

3Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:08 pm

The current pads have plenty of meat on them, I don't think they are that old and braking seemed ok when I took it for a long run after purchase. But do I have to replace both disks at the same time ? I'm guessing no.

The rear was my concern when I bought the bike, it's deeply grooved from running on rivets but still within spec by the looks?

4Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Just changed my front discs which were at 3.5mm. I bought them from http://www.bikes.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/default.php?search=md607 and was very pleased with the service.
Mine are the floating discs for the 16valve and were chattering on the bobbins while riding. The braking is now fantastic.
I wanted to change the back disc but it is still in limits and does very little anyway.

5Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:45 pm

They don't appear to have any 8 valve disks and I doubt I can afford to ship lumps of metal around the globe Very Happy

There is a mob close to me called Metal Gear who have them in stock. I think it's a swap sort of deal, old for new.

6Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:55 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes its a swap deal robin ....have to do mine soon

if you change the disk then put new pads on it .( reason being that it takes time to bed the pads into the disk ...the old disc are usually dished ...and the old pad would be contoured to suit ...) there is a solution though ...you could probably run some wet and dry coarse stuff through the old pads to take off the high spots and get away from the hardened by heat, immediate surface on the old ones and get them kinda leveled off back like new ? although a lot thinner ....would still cause less damage to those new discs eh ?

..im guessing one at a time would still be ok .

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:02 pm

I'm guessing they don't use asbestos in brake pads any more Front Disks 8157

I think I'll put the brakes off till I have the cash available to do all three with pads.
Not a cheap job that one.

8Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have some shagged discs here if you need to get the centres to do a swap before taking off the old ones.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Cheers Rick, I'll keep it in mind. I dunno what turn around time is but they list them as in stock so I'm guessing it's a straight swap and I get someone elses hubs?

10Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:32 pm

I have also been talking to tomato bins about a missing delivery and have asked them for a price to ship 3 crimeca disks to here. I can't wait for that one Shocked

11Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:48 pm

Moto-bins quoted 55 GBP shipping for 3 disks to Oz if anyone wanted to know.

12Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:26 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
RobinW wrote:Moto-bins quoted 55 GBP shipping for 3 disks to Oz if anyone wanted to know.

Faaark...affraid I was think about the EBC discs at Motorworks. Best get a quote for postage first.

13Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:27 am

EBC discs for the pre 16 valve bikes are no longer listed at the EBC shop so I wonder if Motorworks are selling off their stock. The EBC shop charged £12 p&p for any sized order to France even if it is one set of pads or 3 discs and 3 sets of pads.

14Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:02 am

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day All , I'm running BRAKING front discs on my thing , you can see them on my bike in the picture gallery , available locally & cheaper than EBC , you re-use your carriers just be carefull removing the old disc from the carrier , the alloy is quite soft & I bent one of them in the process .

JR

Melbourne Australia

15Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:13 am

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
I'm currently seriously considering new discs all round (pardon the pun). The rear disc seems v.straight foward to remove, but looking at the front pair, with the ABS ring, it looks a fair bit more complex. I understand that they are held on with four through bolts, but the ABS ring has got me a bit fazed. Do I need to drill the rivets out? A bit of a advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rickmeister.

16Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:46 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
JR_K100RS wrote:I'm running BRAKING front discs on my thing

Morning JR.

Do you have a link for the discs?

rossko

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

17Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:38 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Ulrich_Grabau wrote:I'm currently seriously considering new discs all round (pardon the pun). The rear disc seems v.straight foward to remove, but looking at the front pair, with the ABS ring, it looks a fair bit more complex. I understand that they are held on with four through bolts, but the ABS ring has got me a bit fazed. Do I need to drill the rivets out? A bit of a advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rickmeister.

I have changed those rings a few times and its a piece of cake. there are 3 small button head cap screws that secure them. A bit of heat to melt the thread locking stuff and remove the 3 screws then gently pry the ring off the disc carrier with a bit of heat applied (propane torch maybe like a paint burner), pry them off a bit at a tome going round and round the edge. You will be supprised at how easy they come then put them back by heating up to about 100degC and put the disc in the freezer for a while and they almost fall on with a bit of a tap from a wooden mallet then replace the 3 screws with some red locktite and you're done. all up from wheel out to back in 2 hours and 3 stubbies maybe 4. But if I am there make it 8 coz its your shout.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

18Back to top Go down   Front Disks Empty Re: Front Disks Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:45 pm

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Ear ya go rossko

http://www.braking.com/catalogue/dettaglio_prodotto.php?codice_articolo=BW02FI

BM Motorcycles ( these guys look after mine ) has them in stock

JR

Melbourne Australia

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: