BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello from Down under. Empty Hello from Down under. Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:00 am

Edmate

Edmate
Hi everyone, My name is Ed and I've had my 1984 K100 for 9 months and I really like it.  It's a great bike, by far the biggest I've ever had in over 30 years of riding.  At first i felt like I was sitting on the top of a block of flats when I was going along, but now I'm used to it and love cruising around with that lovely under-stressed engine doing the work. I live on the central Coast of New South Wales, Australia and I work down the road in Sydney. The K is my only transport, so it does 140 km's every weekday, rain and shine, and it has covered 20,000km on it so far.  It now has 165 000 k's on the clock and has had few problems, even though the previous owners perhaps could have given it more love than they did.  I'm hoping to get 300,000 out of it fingers crossed.  I find it easy to work on, but I'm just a home mechanic - I leave the inside of the engine alone as I don't trust myself that much but happy to do all the other routine maintenance.  I bought the bike because it was very cheap and with a young family, a big mortgage and a long commute, I needed the most budget conscious of vehicles (and it had to be a bike) I reckon I got really lucky with my K100 which has ticked all the boxes and exceeded my expectations.  Although I find some of the spares are a little costly-for instance I'm currently I'm seeking a replacement headlamp unit as mine is cracked and the cheapest new replacement I've found is $350 AU inc postage. (is that reasonable?)  I'm sorry that I'm one of the K bike fraternity who have bought their bike and will be it's last owner, inevitably wearing it out rather than giving it the dignified retirement it deserves.
I'm looking forward to reading your posts about this  machine that has surprised me with it's engineering, comfort and character.
Thanks for letting me on board
best regards
Ed

2Back to top Go down   Hello from Down under. Empty Re: Hello from Down under. Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:25 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Welcome Ed
That should be a nice commute if you could run it on the old highway but I am guessing it is the F3 all the way.

Don't buy big ticket parts. Just ask here.
There are enough bits going around and what is given away is given back by another member.

Where in Sydney do you work? Suburb?

These bikes will see us to our retirement and no doubt will be passed on to a generation at least as old as we were when we given guardianship of the lovelly K.

Tottenham. September. Far Kairn Rally

rosskko

sydney

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

3Back to top Go down   Hello from Down under. Empty Re: Hello from Down under. Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:33 am

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome to the forum Ed.
Glad you found the right bike for you and your tight budget.
Being ridden daily is the best retirement plan for a K.
I haven't had to buy parts yet, but prices are a bit over reasonable IMO.
It might be cheaper in Europe as used Ks price seem to be lower, at least in Belgium, but shipping is expensive too.
I guess it is just like for everything else : it cost too much, life is expensive the golden sixties are long gone.
But mileage is great, it will save you plenty compared to other bikes.
It seems like every new K owner finds him/herself a the start of a love story.
Pleasantly amazing Bricks.

2012 Yamaha YFL 381 (Flute)
2005 Yamaha PSR E-203 (Keyboard Synth).
2012 Yamaha 7 HP outboard engine
"Beemer Wheeler" Certified Brick Aviator since July 2013
Ham radio call sign HA5AH
http://h2fuel.mobi

4Back to top Go down   Hello from Down under. Empty Re: Hello from Down under. Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:41 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Ed. It's not hard to love a K. It's funny, I've just had mine stripped down, ridden it naked(the bike) a bit for testing etc. Compared to my Yamaha XT1200 I find it an incredibly compact package, I think its only the fairings that make it feel big.

I'm not a tall person

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Hello from Down under. K-dogs10

5Back to top Go down   Hello from Down under. Empty Re: Hello from Down under. Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:47 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi ya Ed welcome to the funny farm. most of us aussies shop at motobins in UK. It only takes 1-2 days more to arrive than fron Munich motorcycles in WA and here is the part you want
http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=K%20Series

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Hello from Down under. Empty Re: Hello from Down under. Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:24 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome ed

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   Hello from Down under. Empty Re: Hello from Down under. Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:26 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
welcome from another Ed, a top spot to gain much insight into your K, friendly ,helpful info, and some great people to share the experience with.
hope you enjoy as we all do.
as Rossko suggested , all are welcome to help celebrate the K's 30th at the Far Cairn rally ,camping skills essential but not a pre requisite.
look forward to catching up sometime.Ed.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Hello from Down under. 10_x_110

8Back to top Go down   Hello from Down under. Empty Re: Hello from Down under. Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:02 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Great to have you with us and greetings from the shaky isles. Take a look at the portal and read "So you just bought a used BMW K-Series Motorcycle..." Good stuff there.
Regards,
K-BIKE

9Back to top Go down   Hello from Down under. Empty Thanks for your welcome everyone Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:28 am

Edmate

Edmate
Dear All
Thank you for your kind welcome, I'm looking forward to getting into the forums and learning more about my brick.  Thanks for the tips about parts at motobins that's a useful connection and I'll be having a look a soon as I stop typing.  These bikes are addictive. I'm beginning to think that maybe a second one might be a good idea! especially on the rare occasions she doesn't want to go at 6 in the morning!
Yep I'm heading for the funny farm
See you on the road
Ed

10Back to top Go down   Hello from Down under. Empty Hi Rossko Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:08 am

Edmate

Edmate
rossko wrote:Welcome Ed
That should be a nice commute if you could run it on the old highway but I am guessing it is the F3 all the way.

Don't buy big ticket parts. Just ask here.
There are enough bits going around and what is given away is given back by another member.

Where in Sydney do you work? Suburb?

These bikes will see us to our retirement and no doubt will be passed on to a generation at least as old as we were when we given guardianship of the lovelly K.

Tottenham. September. Far Kairn Rally

rosskko

sydney
Hi Rossko
I work in Hornsby- Wahroonga to be precise - at a small special needs school- and yes I use the F3 for most of the time but I love the old road so I use it at least once a week as a treat as it doesn't take so much longer.  Shame about the speed limit though!
Ed

11Back to top Go down   Hello from Down under. Empty Re: Hello from Down under. Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:18 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Nice Ed.
Grew up in Wahroonga. NOB. Normo Old Boy.

That old road is a good un.
The speed limit is required unfortunately.
Many years ago I got my bike licence on a mates Bol d'or. No LAMS back then.
900cc of Honda power. A silver one. Naked.
Took the old road from Hornsby RTA to the Gosford turn off then hang a left onto the F3 and 160+ back to Hornsby.
My testicles were a lot bigger then.
Coming from Wahroonga you hear of many who have not made it to the other end.
Take care, kick a car or two for me on the F3 and enjoy the ride.
rosskko

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

12Back to top Go down   Hello from Down under. Empty Re: Hello from Down under. Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:19 am

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
Edmate wrote: These bikes are addictive. I'm beginning to think that maybe a second one might be a good idea! 
Yep I'm heading for the funny farm

Ed

You too ?

Must be viral.

2012 Yamaha YFL 381 (Flute)
2005 Yamaha PSR E-203 (Keyboard Synth).
2012 Yamaha 7 HP outboard engine
"Beemer Wheeler" Certified Brick Aviator since July 2013
Ham radio call sign HA5AH
http://h2fuel.mobi

13Back to top Go down   Hello from Down under. Empty Not viral then? Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:16 am

Edmate

Edmate
Not viral-bacterial I think-or a touch of obsessive compulsive.  It's a good job I'm broke or I'd have a shed full of them.  I have an old motto-If you find something you like buy two of them. But if you really like them then....
Glad to hear from a fellow sufferer
Edmate

14Back to top Go down   Hello from Down under. Empty too many flowers. Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:25 am

Edmate

Edmate
rossko wrote:Nice Ed.
Grew up in Wahroonga. NOB. Normo Old Boy.

That old road is a good un.
The speed limit is required unfortunately.
Many years ago I got my bike licence on a mates Bol d'or. No LAMS back then.
900cc of Honda power. A silver one. Naked.
Took the old road from Hornsby RTA to the Gosford turn off then hang a left onto the F3 and 160+ back to Hornsby.
My testicles were a lot bigger then.
Coming from Wahroonga you hear of many who have not made it to the other end.
Take care, kick a car or two for me on the F3 and enjoy the ride.
rosskko
Hi Rossko
There are certainly too many flowers and little white crosses on the old road.  I agree the limit is warranted but very difficult to keep when the brick insists on 80.  We have to negotiate all the way.  The old road was sweet tonight, quiet and relaxing, but I did see 6 patrol cars on it last Friday night! There must have been a special on at Pie in the Sky.  
You must have had big Cahones - do they shrink with age?- there is something soothing about being in the centre lane going just a little bit faster than every one else isn't there.  It's also nice to chug along at a 100 enjoying the ride.  It's nice to ride a bike where both styles are an option.
Take care as well watch out for the P Platers and those who sit in the middle lane doing 100kms/hour
All the best 
Edmate

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum