BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Acceptable bodge? Empty Acceptable bodge? Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:01 am

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Working my way thro. my recently purchased 1994 K75 with Showa forks I find there is one leaking fork seal. Close examination reveals two pin prick sized marks presumably caused by stone chips. These really are very small and barely visible but can be felt when rubbing a figure over the area.  Would smoothing the area with a fine oil stone, degreasing and putting a blob of super glue or two pack epoxy resin in the offending area work or am I wasting my time. I will be fitting gaiters! John

2Back to top Go down   Acceptable bodge? Empty Re: Acceptable bodge? Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:13 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have stopped forks leaking due to some pin holes of rust by using superglue. You will need to clean the area with acetone and even possibly soak the area in acetone so as to get unser the chrome so as to prevent the chrome peeling futher. It will leave a very hard lump that needs to be ground of with fine (1600 or 2000 grit) wet/dry sandpaper. You wont get a permanent fix but something like 12 months from it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Acceptable bodge? Empty Re: Acceptable bodge? Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:56 am

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
I have used this method before using regular Araldite. But as Rick says, you need to clean meticulously any oil or other contaminant. You may even want to rough the area just around the repair, to give the glue has a bit of purchase before a thin smear of araldite , then, when set, very carefully sand the excess off.

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

4Back to top Go down   Acceptable bodge? Empty Re: Acceptable bodge? Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:11 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
If you can feel it with your finger it will need polishing out, once the stonechip is down to level the divot may not be an issue but the raised bit will be, tons of patience and very little pressure with the oilstone and only on that raised bit, gently gently will do a pretty job for you

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum