BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

pistolpete

Hello everyone, my name is Pete and I am the proud new owner of a 1985 K100Rs, which is in good, but not great shape, so I am very glad to be a new member of this excellent site. After a lapse of about 20 years I am back in the motorcycle scene (kids grown up and well established). I also own a 2007 Triumph America which has about 2,000 miles on it and the BMW has just over 125,000 Kms on the clock. Don't have much of a mechanical background, just retired from the Canadian Forces after 32 years as an MP, but I sure do get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction from doing my own work (when successful!). Right now I just have a shed but I plan on building a good sized (heated) garage, where I can work on bikes, with the room to strip them down and really get into the guts of the things. Love to ride around beautiful Nova Scotia, especially the coastal and Cape Breton Island back roads (I hate highway driving, but never mind the rain on backroads). Anyone near me working on their bikes, I would love to meet and observe or help however possible.

All the best to everyone and I hope you have great weather in your part of the world, because ours is coming to a cold close until the spring!

Chao

Pete

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Welcome Pete,

You have somebody right at your door....
I send you my phone # in a PM.

Bert

New owner and member from Shubenacadie, NOVA SCOTIA Frog15New owner and member from Shubenacadie, NOVA SCOTIA Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Pete,
Welcome to the community, you will find the amount of information available is incredible here and you really hit the lucky jackpot having Bert living in the same area of Canada!.

Probably the best first thing to do when starting to work on your bike is get the manuals, there are 3 potential manuals the Clymer, the Haynes and the official BMW one (which is very hard to get in English) there is a heap of information on this forum so take an evening and read the posts it is well worth it as there are some people on the forum like Bert who have HUGE amounts of BMW K specific information in their heads.

Next change all fluids and at the same time change the filter in the engine. Don't worry if someone says they just did it, do it now to establish a base line where all oils and the filter are the exact correct recommended grade.

Next when working on the bike every single electrical connection needs to be treated with DeOxit contact cleaner especially the big earth points under the tank and everywhere else there is a ground. This is important because our bikes were the first to use fuel injection and electronic management of the engine and whilst well proven automotive products were used the voltages are low so bad connections become more of a problem on a bike than a car because so much of a bike is exposed to the elements.
Regards,
K-BIKE

pistolpete

Thank you, I will get on that right away. Cant wait to really learn this machine!

Pete

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum