BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

kdiv2011

kdiv2011
Hello Forum.  First off I am excited about asking my first question, well it's multiple questions on one topic.

My newly purchased bike has a 'Progressive Suspension' shock on the rear and from what I have been able to find it could be a '412 Series'. It measures 14" from post to post.

An issue I have is with this shock, and I am assuming it's the problem, I am on my tippy-toes to touch the ground when seated as well as the rear of the bike is so high that using the side kickstand is really scary.  It appears as though it could fall over with the slightest touch.

The question(s) I have are; should I get this shock changed out for a Stock one, a better aftermarket shock, or keep it and adjust it providing that adjusting it would have a lowering effect without making the suspension either too soft or too stiff.

It appears in the photo that the shock is adjusted on the higher end and could be ?lowered? by turning the bottom of the shock.

What would be the best decision in this case?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Advice on rear progressive shock needed. Rear_s12

Engine: 4-ZYL - 1,00l (66kW) | Body Color: Rot Metallic (654)
Production date: 17.01.1990

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You aren't going to make the shock any shorter by any adjustment on it. When sitting it will be in the fully extended position and when sitting on it you will more than likely drop the height by only 20-25mm at the seat even if you are built like King Kong.
To be quite honest the progressive shocks were very middle of the range and over priced at that.
The standard shock at the fully extended position should be 13" =_ 1/4" You can get quite a few shocks that are made specifically for K100/75 that are 25-30mm shorter which drops the riders seat by 4mm less (21-26mm).
What ever shock you do decide to get DON'T get an ICON they are very poorly made and snap at the top of the shaft
I personally have seen 3 and heard of quite a few more. They now have absolutely no tie with KONI and have very successfully destroyed the business they bought.
I always recommend a RAM SHOX from realm engineering in UK they are exceptionally well made and give a 3 year warranty.  http://www.realmengineering.com/page15.html
They will build a shock to suit your weight and whether you have a pillion or not and as you will see on the site they are very well priced. I also have nothing at all to do with the business I am a very happy and exceptionally impressed customer. Many of the others here also recommend them.

As for the bike leaning over a long way when on the side stand. It is quite normal to lean a fair way but not to the point of tipping. If you take the stand off you will quite likely find that the pivot is badly worn. Usually it can be fixed with a new bush and pivot bolt. The shaft of the side stand does normally have a small bend to make it fit the muffler contours.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sounds like that shock is off something later rick ......no wonder it seems to lean a little more I guess (k1100 maybe ?)

but fairly common kdiv  ...some have fitted bottom foot plate rubber ,,,plastic buffers to make them stand more upright ...about 15 mm thickness seems about right .

have done the same on mine as well .....till I found that reducing the thickness of the pivot bush by about 1/2 a mm  has tightened up the slop between the actual arm and the mounting points for the bolt ...now no longer does the sidestand hit the muffler ...vibrate ..or anything untoward ...and stands straighter as well ...im a happy chappy

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
KDiv Mt 75 has a stock rebuilt K100 shock on it, on the center stand its 13 3/4 bolt center to bolt center and 3/4 of an inch sags when off the centerstand, so providied the oil dont fade when using it its all good, to lower the bike though you may consider a lower profile tyre, they age faster than the shocks anyway, also you can lower the triple clamps down the forks by 1/2 to 3/4's an inch that might change things enough to solve you concerns with the sidestand

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

kdiv2011

kdiv2011
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I was hoping that I could adjust the height with the shock but it appears that isn't an option, which I was suspecting would be the answer. So I'll see if I can find a replacement that I am certain is for the bike and the correct length.  When on the centre stand the existing shock measures 355.6 mm (14") centre of bolt to centre of bolt.

I see that I can get a Ram Shox CM325(325 mm's) for the bike which would reduce the length by 30 mm's and I am assuming that would correct both issues I have provided the 325 mm's would be the same when installed and on the centre stand. 

I will definitely have to look to see how badly worn the pivot is and replace the bush and pivot bolt.

As for lowering the triple clamps I'll wait to see what affect the new shock has first and then look into it at that time....along with asking a whole bunch of questions first......  Very Happy 

Kind regards!
Todd

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
I am running a YSS with a length adjustment option on my K75.  When not on special the shock will run in the mid to upper $300 range.   If you decide to buy a pre-owned shock, make sure it can be rebuilt..  The downside of rebuilding is that it if you pay too much for the shock, and you don't get a price for rebuilding  before purchase, it could cost as much or almost as much as buying new.

kdiv2011

kdiv2011
My plan is to buy new depending on what the price of a decent shock is.  I am looking to see where Ram Shox are sold in Canada but haven't seen them listed anywhere yet.  Without trying to start an argument I am wondering if everyone can offer suggestions of what brand to look for.

The bike has the three hard cases that wouldn't be loaded with too much weight, I am 5' 10" (177cm) and 230lbs (104kgs), and would not be carrying a passenger 90% of the time.  I would consider one in the price range of $200 - $400 if peoples opinions were that it's worth the price.

With the bike having a 14" (355mm) shock on now I am looking for a shorter one to lower the back of the bike for the reasons previously made.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers!

Last edited by kdiv2011 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
As far as I know the only place you will get a RAM is from the factory.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

kdiv2011

kdiv2011
RicK G wrote:As far as I know the only place you will get a RAM is from the factory.

Ah yes I see the piont,"Handmade in the UK to YOUR specs" in the remarks.  What is the wait time and approx. cost for a shock from them?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I bought one a while ago and from memory about 8-10 days it certainly wasn't any longer.

brianpen

brianpen
Silver member
Silver member
I bought the Progressive 412, I believe, model. Which is the bottom of the line. Wasted money. Bought the RAM and am very satisfied. I bought the 1" shorter and at 5'7" it does the trick. I also had my seat reworked and brought myself about 1/2" closer to the ground.
For the money the RAM can't be beat in my eyes.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
brianpen wrote:I bought the Progressive 412, I believe, model. Which is the bottom of the line. Wasted money. Bought the RAM and am very satisfied. I bought the 1" shorter and at 5'7" it does the trick. I also had my seat reworked and brought myself about 1/2" closer to the ground.
For the money the RAM can't be beat in my eyes.

Is the 412 really that bad? (Never had one so am curious as to why it was so bad.)

I had a RAM on one of my K75s for a while before I swapped in an Ohlins.  When I first got it it was sprung for two-up fully loaded (their default) which was way to stiff but once I got the right spring for it from them it seemed to do quite well.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

brianpen

brianpen
Silver member
Silver member
Duck
The 412 only had preload , no damping as I recall. I couldn't notice any improvement over my 25 year old Nivomat.
I like to spend wisely (ok I'm tight) , and easily saw the extra hundred or so well worth it. I'm not even sure if they make this model anymore.

kdiv2011

kdiv2011
RicK G wrote:I bought one a while ago and from memory about 8-10 days it certainly wasn't any longer.

I sent an email asking for a quote and haven't heard anything back yet.  I'll wait a few more days before giving up.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
k75RT Keith wrote:I am running a YSS with a length adjustment option on my K75.  When not on special the shock will run in the mid to upper $300 range.   If you decide to buy a pre-owned shock, make sure it can be rebuilt..  The downside of rebuilding is that it if you pay too much for the shock, and you don't get a price for rebuilding  before purchase, it could cost as much or almost as much as buying new.

indeed keith

did something similar ...bought a second hand twin clicker ..( by fox )  then got it rebuilt (about 200 ) 
total up maybe 450

for out here, that probably equates to a new shock from ram .....or getting on the low side of close

but ...I have to say im very happy with the performance indeed ...with adjustable rebound and compression ...it makes the bike feel like new

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
brianpen wrote:Duck
The 412 only had preload , no damping as I recall. I couldn't notice any improvement over my 25 year old Nivomat.
I like to spend wisely (ok I'm tight) , and easily saw the extra hundred or so well worth it. I'm not even sure if they make this model anymore.
The 412 is available still, at about $299 US bucks. The higher quality and multi-adjustable 465 from Progressive is about $499.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
If you look around you can find a Progressive  412 for little over $200  shipped. Not the best shock you can put on a K but if you're just going to work and back it would probably work. (I"m a cheap pragmatist.)

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]