BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Ex-Police bike back on the road..... Empty Ex-Police bike back on the road..... Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:19 am

emp69

emp69
Hi All,

funny how you miss the big read sign that says please post here.....

Here is a bit of the history....

I was at a shed for an unrelated matter and saw a motorbike in the back covered in dust and other crap.... 

The owner (that had other BMW bikes) was moving so I asked about it and was told if I could cough up $ for it, I could have it.....  Looking over the bike from afar I said sure why not... (before asking the wife.... mad right!!!) 

So after a week of sleeping in the shed to make up for not asking for permission, it was delivered to my back yard.  So making the promise to my wife, that if a bike came home one would need to be sold to make room I set to work.  As the bike had been sitting for well over 13 years a lot had to be done.

Before I started with any restoration I wanted to make sure that the bike would run.  However as it was left with old fuel in the tank the fuel pump had seized and the rubber holder was mush. So I found a second hand pump in my shed (off a VOLVO) made some make shift holder for it and found out the injectors were blocked.  So off to making an injector cleaner and about 2 hours latter the bike finally came to life.  

So it runs, the next is to make it look good.  Strip down, all the flaring was taken off (this is when you should take photos, which I did not) and I repaired the flaring that had cracks etc.  The front forks had no oil so I dismantled overhaul them and put in new seals and a good coat of matt back paint. The master cylinder was leaking so this had to be repaired with an overhaul kit. Same with the rear brakes. While I am at it I also had to replace the battery and renewed motor oil (and filter) Gearbox oil and fork oil.  

I was going to change the colour of the bike but once I found out the cost of the BMW silver I wanted to use, white really looks good on this kind of bike Smile  Over the next week I put the flaring back on and gave the other parts a fresh coat of paint when needed.

The bike starts and rides great for its age, it is soooo nice to be able to jump on the bike for a quick ride.  One of my other bikes is a 1200 HD Shovel 1979, which means I spend 1 hour making sure it will start, then 2 hours fixing the bits that full off.  

The BMW bike has been so nice to work on, with the way it was made.

So now the bike is on the road and I am in the process of running the bike to fix the smaller problems.

As the bike was an ex police bike so only one seat. How ever my kids did not like this as they like to come with me for rides on the weekend. So for my birthday they picked up a Duck rear section and seat to convert this bike over.  

Photos of the bike soon after putting it back together (less the mirrors as I have to repaint them )

Ex-Police bike back on the road..... Troy-k100-1

Ex-Police bike back on the road..... Troy-k100-2

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share.

Troy.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Welcome to the forum Troy good to have you along for the ride.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome it sounds like you allready know your way arou d bines Very Happy 

k-rider

carlmclelland

carlmclelland
Welcome mate, good to have you along.

Life time member
Life time member
Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission and nights in the dog house can be treated as a welcome respite! 

Welcome from the Emerald Isle!

88KE

Last edited by 88KE on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : a dig house doesn't make sense!)

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
doing well troy

welcome aboard mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum