BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Having done numerous Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control installs on K bikes, last year I found a Rostra 250-1223 unit on FleaBay with free shipping with a $99 Buy-It-Now price and decided to give that a whirl on a recently acquired K75.  Now that I have a few thousand miles on the electronic cruise control, I’m of the opinion that the CCS-100 is definitely superior.

Here’s why:

After some fiddling with the DIP switches on the Rostra, I was able to get it to keep from surging below the 70-75 MPH range which is where most of my riding occurs in Washington.  However, when I set it for 78-79 MPH for sections of I-5 with a 70 MPH speed limit, it gets up the power curve of the K75 and noticeably surges more than the CCS-100.

The 250-1223 also sometimes lets the speed drop a lot more then the CCS-100 before kicking in.

On the whole, I find the CCS-100 to be a much smoother and less obtrusive cruise control. In a digital vs. analog world, sometimes analog is better. (Yes, I know both are controlled by digital circuit boards. I’m referring to the power supply for the servo cable which is electronic on the 250-1223 and vacuum on the CCS-100.)

Another minor issue where I prefer the CCS-100 is that the CCS-100 allows me to use either the up or down switch for the initial set whereas only the down switch can be used to set the 250-1223.

That said, the 250-1223 does work and does do its job of keeping me at 8-9 over to avoid getting tickets.  And the engaged indicator output hooked up to an LED in the cluster is nice for visual confirmation.

The foibles of the 250-1223 are not so extreme that I’ll remove it and replace it with a CCS-100 but if I had it to do over again then I would definitely opt for a CCS-100 on that bike and that’s what I’ll use on any future CC installs.

JMHO. YMMV.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Thanks for that Duck a couple of us were talking about that on the weekend and were wondering if there was any difference.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum