BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Filler Cap Q Empty Filler Cap Q Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:43 am

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
I bought my 85 K100RS used and it had previously been resprayed -- rather badly  Crying or Very sad 
When you open the fuel filler cap, there is flaking crinkle paint along the perimeter of the filler hole.  I suspect that is not the way it left the factory.  I plan to remove the filler cap assembly and then take the remains of that paint off.  It should be left bare alloy, correct?

2Back to top Go down   Filler Cap Q Empty Re: Filler Cap Q Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:51 am

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day brickrider , take a look at this thread

https://www.k100-forum.com/t3719-an-extra-15-litres-in-tank-capacity

there are a couple of pics of a tank with the fuel cap assembly removed , you can see bare alloy where the seal goes between the cap & the tank , is this the bit you are talking about ?

JR

3Back to top Go down   Filler Cap Q Empty Re: Filler Cap Q Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:25 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
I recently stripped my tank to bare metal and sprayed it. It took the filler cap out and removed ALL paint from the entire thing. Then, when spraying, I just masked off the 'base' of the plate which the filler cap assembly screws back into, and everything else was painted.

4Back to top Go down   Filler Cap Q Empty Re: Filler Cap Q Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:28 am

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
I'd forgotten the thread you referenced, JR.  Thanks for reminding me of it. 
Based on the photos there, it appears the paint on mine was the result of the PO's respray.  The cap hinges on a ring immediately below.  That dished area is bare alloy in the photos. Mine's partially painted.  I guess we can assume that the paint that's missing is down in the tank  Crying or Very sad  I aim to clean all that's left off to be certain that it doesn't follow the rest into the tank. 
Changing the fuel filter in the tank has proven to be more work than I care to do.  I've large hands....

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum