BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   New Member - Wow a K100 Website! Empty New Member - Wow a K100 Website! Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:49 pm

uptond

uptond
Last August a buddy of mine and I went to Yellowstone.  Trailered two bikes.  R1200RT and the '85 K100.  Yellowstone is such a large venue to ride around.  We lodged in Teton National Forrest, cabin.  Unloaded bikes and went on our way.  My friend and I live in the Denver area, so trailering them up to the park boundary made sense.  First day was great fun.  Second day the K100 said it was tired.  Engine ran but clutch/throw-out bearing said no!

We were 120 miles from cabin at that point. R1200RT was working smooth so we doubled up and got back to cabin, albeit slowly as it was nearing sundown and traffic was at a crawl be cause of wildlife on both sides of the road.  Strenuous ride at best because of the starts and stops.

We had to trailer the bike out of Yellowstone.  It was an unfortunate end to an otherwise great trip.  K100 has been sidelined ever since.  Now time to rebuild what is broken.  We've never torn apart the bike before.  So throw-out bearing and possible clutch replacement is in our minds.

Any advice is welcome.

-Dieter

2Back to top Go down   New Member - Wow a K100 Website! Empty Re: New Member - Wow a K100 Website! Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:09 pm

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
G'day mate , welcome to the forum,  i am sure you will be able to gain all the sage advice you could  require from here.

http://www.airware.com.au

3Back to top Go down   New Member - Wow a K100 Website! Empty Re: New Member - Wow a K100 Website! Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:32 pm

Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider
Welcome Dieter  ... It will be a lot easier than you think, take lots of photos when you pull it down.  Very Happy

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Dieter. I have just been into the clutch and I am a Klutz with mechanics. My best tip is to remove the whole exhaust, we really struggled with one of the gearbox bolts right behind the headers. Good chance to polish them up anyway. You need to replace the clutch retaining bolts and star washers. Do a search in the Forum for Rear Seal replacement, that goes right through the steps.
Good luck.

5Back to top Go down   New Member - Wow a K100 Website! Empty Re: New Member - Wow a K100 Website! Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The clutch throwout bearing is at the rear of the gearbox and is accessible by removing the swingarm. It's behind the rubber boot or in most cases what is left of the rubber boot.
If you disconnect the clutch cable from the actuating arm and remove the boot the bearing is easily removed. Then pull the actuating rod out from the centre of the shaft and inspect the end which may be damaged. If that is damaged then remove the gearbox.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   New Member - Wow a K100 Website! Empty Re: New Member - Wow a K100 Website! Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:47 am

larrikin

larrikin
Life time member
Life time member
Was that Yellowstone or Jellystone Park? Any sign of Yogi Bear?
Anyway, Velcome to dis Knuthouse. Between all the memebers there is enough knowledge to get the bike back on the road. Some could even help with parts

It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car

7Back to top Go down   New Member - Wow a K100 Website! Empty Re: New Member - Wow a K100 Website! Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:00 am

k-wopper

k-wopper
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Dieter,
Google "Chris Harris" on U-TUBE. He has a complete k-100 clutch, trans and spline lube series. Really informative.
Oh yeah... that take plenty of pictures is GOOD advise.
The hardest part will be paying for the parts.
Cheers,
Rob

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum