BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   rubber mounted handlebars Empty rubber mounted handlebars Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:42 am

michaellaw

michaellaw
we all know the handle bars on the k1100 not sure about the k100 but im assuming so are rubber mounted can some one tell me how much play they are supposed to have mine has a fair bit but that's only when your sitting still had a so called bmw guru tell mine had to much when I was talking to him on the phone then I realised he was  probably not much older than my bike  Question

2Back to top Go down   rubber mounted handlebars Empty Re: rubber mounted handlebars Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:14 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
They always were fairly rubbery. You can put some large washers at the top and bottom of the bolts and that will make them a lot better.
Caution make sure the ID of the washer is big enough to go over the shank of the bolt which is a lot bigger than the thread. I think you need 14mm or 9/16" inside, that way the rubber gets squeezed up tighter.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   rubber mounted handlebars Empty Re: rubber mounted handlebars Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:40 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
Handlebars should not give under normal operation; riding, cornering, braking, and placing on the center stand.

Otherwise, they will give when, for instance, bouncing the front end in effort to seat the wheel after maintenance--that type of thing.

-aj

My old K100 RT Pics and Mods

4Back to top Go down   rubber mounted handlebars Empty Re: rubber mounted handlebars Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:08 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Process is described in this link:  http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/solid-bars.shtml

5Back to top Go down   rubber mounted handlebars Empty Re: rubber mounted handlebars Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:47 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
if for some reason you cant find washers that will fit (like me)...

I used 2 spare/old clutch O-ring compression ring washer thingys and they worked brilliantly.

6Back to top Go down   rubber mounted handlebars Empty Re: rubber mounted handlebars Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:34 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
AJ.Valente wrote:Handlebars should not give under normal operation; riding, cornering, braking, and placing on the center stand.

Otherwise, they will give when, for instance, bouncing the front end in effort to seat the wheel after maintenance--that type of thing.

-aj

I wish somebody would've told BMW that. I found the stock handlebar mounts on both my K1100LT and K100 to be quite mushy.  The K1100RS also had some but it din't seem as extreme - I suspect because it has less handlebar leverage than the LT bars.

Obviously, the reason BMW did this was to reduce handlebar vibes from the engine but a well-tuned engine can get rid of a lot of that. Since the K75 motor is so smooth the handlebars mount directly to the upper fork tree with no need for anti-vibe rubber.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]