BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   FWIW or maybe for my own info Empty FWIW or maybe for my own info Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:25 am

walker

Silver member
Silver member
My "new" K bike has about 48,00 miles. 1991 K100RS
Previous owner was a very close friend who lived on the beach
& bike sat under house in an open wall situation.
This bike sat under tree's in an open yard for about the last year.
After draining 1 too many qt.s(liters) from engine, a deep general cleaning
new battery & a few small diagnostic procedures, I took her for a ride.
I got 6 trouble free miles out of 12.
At about 6 miles the engine lost power & began to get weaker & weaker.
When I pulled the clutch & let throttle go from wide open to idle, she died.

In prior cleaning & changing out battery, I found the multi pin connector to the ABS was
very badly corroded around about 10 pins on the left side of the ABS "brain unit".
The rear brake was almost empty of fluid when I started with the bike, so the ABS warning was not unexpected.
The bike ran fine on the outward trip except for the ABS light. After topping & bleeding, rear brake was good.
At about 5 miles into trip the bike lost power, speedo & tach became errant and it took full throttle to creep over a bridge.
I pulled over at first opportunity, bike died completely & had no voltage.
I called for jumpers & checked it out while waiting.
I disconnected the ABS multi pin connector. It still showed evidence of the corrosion on pins of ABS brain.
Part of this evidence was that one pin had just corrded through, broken & layed over aginst the next.
I disconnected multi pin connector, cranked bike, rode the other 3 miles home with no problem & took the bike through another few miles of test ride on windy road.
She appeared fine after having disconnecting the ABS.

I don't know if any relate to my overly long story here, but having the ABS (apparently) totally drain a brand new battery in a few miles and leave me stranded ,it seemed like it may be useful to someone who may run into same problem.
After unplugging the ABS "brain" the bike ran very well. Blinkers etc. worked fine and I had a little fun with her.

Sorry if this sounds way to narrative, but if it gets someone else home.....

Harry

2Back to top Go down   FWIW or maybe for my own info Empty Re: FWIW or maybe for my own info Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:04 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
I stripped 9 bikes in total last year 100/1100 - ALL showed varying degrees of corrosion around ALL plug connector pins. FWIW or maybe for my own info Icon_eek

The first thing I'd do with any newtome Kay would be to disconnect all plugs and clean / spray with switch cleaner. FWIW or maybe for my own info Icon_wink FWIW or maybe for my own info Icon_cool

The Instrument plugs are a case in point - I'm sure there was moss growing on 2 of my bikes!

I bought one bike as a non runner [ very cheap ] - got it home gave it the clean and spray treatment - voila, one very nice [ and cheap ] sweet running bike - cost half a can of switch cleaner and an hours' work! FWIW or maybe for my own info Icon_cool

3Back to top Go down   FWIW or maybe for my own info Empty Re: FWIW or maybe for my own info Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:44 am

walker

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks beachcomber. Have now done this with probably 75% of the bikes connectors. Had to remove fairing to straighten the stay & went through all of those while at it.
The moss reference really rings true with mine. Pollen, sun bake & road grime caked in every crack.
Now if my new mirrors will just get here.....

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum