BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   spline lube again Empty spline lube again Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:25 pm

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi, I have 86 k100 that came with bad motor, I bought a motor from 85, and all was well,till I found the spline lubes only last 1000 miles! I used the guard dog spline lube and this is the 2nd time . I am thinking that the splines on the clutch plate must be so worn that the grease is slamed right out. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Brian

2Back to top Go down   spline lube again Empty Re: spline lube again Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:17 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Brian,
If you use the correct grease they last waaay more than 1,000 miles. The clutch end is not the end that usually wears it is the bevel gear drive end that wears most.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   spline lube again Empty Re: spline lube again Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:34 pm

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
well, I put in new clutch plate and rear main seal 86 k100 , I used the transmission that came with the motor, splines looked good, guard dog molly grease and less than 1000 miles later the bike shifts hard out of fifth and forth, what could be wrong?!

4Back to top Go down   spline lube again Empty Re: spline lube again Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:00 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
What oil are you using in your gearbox? I have gone over to a top line synthetic gear oil from Castrol and the improvement in shift quality was significant.
Regards,
K-BIKE

5Back to top Go down   spline lube again Empty Re: spline lube again Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:45 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
The gearbox that you used...did it come from a bike that may have been crashed?

Have a look at the gear lever...nice and straight? Any wear marks/scratches on it?

If it was in an accident, there may be damage internally if it went down on the gear lever.

My 2 cents worth.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

6Back to top Go down   spline lube again Empty Re: spline lube again Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:10 am

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi, there is not a scratch on it, I used the rear drive as well, the trans shifts great till the grease dries up but still up-shifts well, I have sent for honda moly 60 and the wurth 3000 grease , my last hope.

7Back to top Go down   spline lube again Empty Re: spline lube again Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:24 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Try putting a premium quality synthetic gear oil in the box and see if that improves it, I was really surprised the difference it made to mine. It does not take much so is a relatively cheap experiment
Regard,
K-BIKE

8Back to top Go down   spline lube again Empty Re: spline lube again Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:46 pm

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
Thanks, I have Mobil one syn blend in trans shifts great. I think my last effort will be switch the intermediate housing and clutch pack, with a known one, any hints for when I put housing back on? do I use gasket stuff between it and motor?

Thanks
Brian

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum