BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Is this Battery powerful enough Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:48 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
I am looking to upgrade my battery in my '91 K100LT ABS and was wondering if this battery would be powerful enough? (See link) I've had a quick look around the forum and can't find a definitive minimum CCA of Ah that is required to start such a powerful bike, even though I know there isn't one because it depends on situation and bike. My bike would be always on charge so I don't think low Ah would be an issue, also because I have eliminated anything that drains power when the engine is off.

Voltage: 13V
Cranking Amps: 320
Amp Hours: 10Ah

And thats all is says about it.

https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk/oem-case-type-batteries/antigravity-batteries-yt7b-bs-ducati-panigale.html

Thanks,
DBRMN

2Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:48 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
I was also looking at this battery however its more expensive and heavier.

https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk/small-case-type-batteries/antigravity-battery-ag1201.html

3Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:00 pm

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Hello!

Are sure you want to spend so much money?
I’m using the KungLong WP18 and many others in Germany too.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blei-Akkumulator-KUNG-LONG-WP18-12SHR-12-V-18-Ah-Bleiakku-12V-18Ah-KUNG-LONG/142515574547?hash=item212e971713:g:g-cAAOSwzXxaAkY2

Not heavy an starts always 
I’m using it already 4 1/2 years

Cheers

Last edited by Chocolate on Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total

4Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:48 pm

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
As I've posted before on this topic, the low Ah rating isn't an issue IF:

• Everything is working well and the bike reliably starts fairly quickly
  • You aren't running a lot of electrical accessories that make the alternator output marginal for recharging while riding
  • You aren't running electrical items to any great degree when the engine isn't running

A higher Ah rating is just insurance for any of the above conditions, and is a personal judgement as to how much of a risk you are willing to take concerning your ability to start your bike.
Some are willing to pay a lot for a battery that is lighter and/or more compact, others will use the cheapest they can find and accept that it may not last as long as some other batteries. Even expensive batteries can fail prematurely. You pay your money and you take your chance.

CCA is an issue that's been discussed, with some ideas but no definitive answer. I'm not aware of anyone having a problem with insufficient CCA in the battery, and most starting issues have a different cause.

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

5Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:07 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Chocolate wrote:Hello!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blei-Akkumulator-KUNG-LONG-WP18-12SHR-12-V-18-Ah-Bleiakku-12V-18Ah-KUNG-LONG/142515574547?hash=item212e971713:g:g-cAAOSwzXxaAkY2

Cheers
Thats a good suggestion they're dealing cheap as well. What bike do you use it on?

6Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:08 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
indian036 wrote:As I've posted before on this topic, the low Ah rating isn't an issue IF:

• Everything is working well and the bike reliably starts fairly quickly
  • You aren't running a lot of electrical accessories that make the alternator output marginal for recharging while riding
  • You aren't running electrical items to any great degree when the engine isn't running

A higher Ah rating is just insurance for any of the above conditions, and is a personal judgement as to how much of a risk you are willing to take concerning your ability to start your bike.
Some are willing to pay a lot for a battery that is lighter and/or more compact, others will use the cheapest they can find and accept that it may not last as long as some other batteries. Even expensive batteries can fail prematurely. You pay your money and you take your chance.

CCA is an issue that's been discussed, with some ideas but no definitive answer. I'm not aware of anyone having a problem with insufficient CCA in the battery, and most starting issues have a different cause.

Bill
Thanks for your reply, what Ah would you recommend then? or what do you use?

7Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:21 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
Just fit a Hawker Odyssey PC 680 in it, it has many more CCA than you will even need. Motorwerks and Motobins used to sell them for nearly all BMWs. 
It is a modern battery that works very well.
Or you could save money and buy some old technology in the hope that it will last as long.

8Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:30 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
BobT wrote:Just fit a Hawker Odyssey PC 680 in it, it has many more CCA than you will even need. Motorwerks and Motobins used to sell them for nearly all BMWs. 
Or you could save money and buy some old technology in the hope that it will last as long.
Its a nice looking battery not overly expensive but looks a bit bit big. Also another question how to you know if the terminals will fit? Is there a standard size or do you have to measure and buy accordingly?

9Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:53 am

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
ÄDBRMN wrote:

Cheers
Thats a good suggestion they're dealing cheap as well. What bike do you use it on?

I’m riding a K75 without ABS and a K75 with ABS, both have the Kung long Batterie. Well known for K rider in Germany.
Modern AGM Batterie.

Cheers

10Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:00 am

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
DBRMN wrote:Thanks for your reply, what Ah would you recommend then? or what do you use?
I recently put in a 12Ah battery in my ‘85 K100RT, as shown Here

I’ve since used it on the Snowy/Southern run over 4 days with no issues. I routinely have a smart charger applied to my bikes, so long times unused are not an issue for me. 
I also have the luxury of an extra bike or two in case of issues, but so far, my choice for the day has started as required. Very Happy

My other bikes have batteries as per OE specs. 

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

11Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:51 pm

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
DBRMN wrote:
BobT wrote:Just fit a Hawker Odyssey PC 680 in it, it has many more CCA than you will even need. Motorwerks and Motobins used to sell them for nearly all BMWs. 
Its a nice looking battery not overly expensive but looks a bit bit big. Also another question how to you know if the terminals will fit? Is there a standard size or do you have to measure and buy accordingly?
Don't know why you think that it looks big, there are many K100s and K1100s riding around with them fitted. The terminals are just bolt down like any battery.

12Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:40 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
So long as they hold enough electrickery to make it to the next coffee shoppe they're ok Bob.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

13Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:14 am

jmccrary

jmccrary
Silver member
Silver member
Batteries always seem to be a good debate. Even when you go down to gel, Li-ion, or classic lead-acid. I personally like the weight of the Li-ion, as long as they don’t catch fire...but I am thinking of a gel so I can mount it differently and not worry about spillage. Maybe we should create a thread of recommended batteries in all the categories.

Worship

14Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:54 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
Gel or AGM is what BMW have fitted to their bikes since about 1998 as standard. Fitting a heavyweight wet lead acid that can spill and has less CCA is just plain stupid IMHO. No one wants to use 30 year old technology in their tyres, fuel, oil, helmet etc, so why use it in a replacement battery.
I have a Lithium on my Ducati and it is 600 grams as opposed to 3.6 kgs, a saving of 3kgs. That weight saving is worth nothing on a bike that weighs the same as a baby elephant like the K100/K1100, but on a lighter bike is worth doing. Mine has never caught fire and nor have 99.99% of the lithium batteries used in phones, laptops, electric toothbrushes and aircraft.

15Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:41 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Chocolate wrote:
ÄDBRMN wrote:

Cheers

I’m riding a K75 without ABS and a K75 with ABS, both have the Kung long Batterie. Well known for K rider in Germany.
Modern AGM Batterie.

Cheers
Thanks for the info!

16Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:42 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
indian036 wrote:
DBRMN wrote:Thanks for your reply, what Ah would you recommend then? or what do you use?
I recently put in a 12Ah battery in my ‘85 K100RT, as shown Here

I’ve since used it on the Snowy/Southern run over 4 days with no issues. I routinely have a smart charger applied to my bikes, so long times unused are not an issue for me. 
I also have the luxury of an extra bike or two in case of issues, but so far, my choice for the day has started as required. Very Happy

My other bikes have batteries as per OE specs. 

Bill
Your linked thread is very useful thanks.

17Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:44 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
BobT wrote:
DBRMN wrote:
Don't know why you think that it looks big, there are many K100s and K1100s riding around with them fitted. The terminals are just bolt down like any battery.
Not compared to the OEM battery but compared to the one I'm looking at as I'm trying to hide the battery so the smaller the better. So most motorcycle batteries have a standard terminal?

18Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:45 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
jmccrary wrote:Batteries always seem to be a good debate.  Even when you go down to gel, Li-ion, or classic lead-acid.  I personally like the weight of the Li-ion, as long as they don’t catch fire...but I am thinking of a gel so I can mount it differently and not worry about spillage.  Maybe we should create a thread of recommended batteries in all the categories.
Yeah I'm planning on mounting mine on its side to hide it even more so definitely need a sealed battery.

19Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:47 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
BobT wrote:Gel or AGM is what BMW have fitted to their bikes since about 1998 as standard. Fitting a heavyweight wet lead acid that can spill and has less CCA is just plain stupid IMHO. No one wants to use 30 year old technology in their tyres, fuel, oil, helmet etc, so why use it in a replacement battery.
I have a Lithium on my Ducati and it is 600 grams as opposed to 3.6 kgs, a saving of 3kgs. That weight saving is worth nothing on a bike that weighs the same as a baby elephant like the K100/K1100, but on a lighter bike is worth doing. Mine has never caught fire and nor have 99.99% of the lithium batteries used in phones, laptops, electric toothbrushes and aircraft.
I agree, just out of curiosity which Lithium battery did you use on your Ducati?

20Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:30 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
https://wp.me/p5xJlR-5w Does that help? In that post you see a wet, a gel (AGM) and a Lithium. The gel has more CCA than the bigger wet.

21Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:35 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
BobT wrote:https://wp.me/p5xJlR-5w Does that help? In that post you see a wet, a gel (AGM) and a Lithium. The gel has more CCA than the bigger wet.
Nice little article, thats exactly what I want to do, although I'm less concerned about weight and more looks. Battery upgrade is definitely the way to go I think. Thanks.

22Back to top Go down   Is this Battery powerful enough Empty Re: Is this Battery powerful enough Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:18 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Ended up going with Antigravity Battery AG1201 and I was very impressed with it would highly advice. Starts the bike no problem and is very very light weight.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum