BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jonnyqq

jonnyqq
Silver member
Silver member
As i`m sure some of us can well identify with, when in the early hours of the morn , when we should best be asleep , those small hours do often lend themselves to frequent and repetitive thoughts about forthcoming jobs that need doing on our beloved bikes. I for one am no exception to this, and have often drifted back to sleep feeling sometimes excited and nervous about repairing the likes of the Gear position switch, fronk fork gaiters , the rubber boots, the slightly annoying mini-backfire between 2000-2500 rpm when throttling back, the re-wiring fiasco following the wireloom meltdown,etc. However, that said , I failed to return to sleep last night having spotted and subsequently thought about the above leak!

Its engine oil, I think, rather than transmission oil. Bike is running beautifully with no clutch slip. Its an occasional drip or two. I would like to put my guess to you all and would welcome your thoughts as to whether or not I might be correct, or not,and for how long can i safely try and ignore this.

I think the culprit may well be the Output Shaft Seal ?

once again many thanks for your opinion

John

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Yes, this is the output shaft seal leaking.
Replacing the seal is a pretty easy job, but you will have to remove the transmission. The job can be done over the week end.
How long can you drive with a leaky shaft seal? It depends how much money you are ready to spend when fixing it. If the clutch starts to get oil on it, you will have to replace it too.
If it's just starting to leak, I believe that you are safe and the clutch is still in good condition.

For the 1987LT, the shaft seal dimensions are: 50x80x10 and the part # is 11 11 7 666 186

DO NOT try to go with a generic seal. When testing the K100 prototype, BMW had a lot of problems with this seal as it was not working with the engine heat.
When re-installing the new seal, don't push it flush to the engine crankcase. It has to be out by 1mm.

What are you doing next week end? Twisted Evil

Bert

The mysterious Hole at bottom of Mr K`s clutch housing has sprouted an tiny oil leak Frog15The mysterious Hole at bottom of Mr K`s clutch housing has sprouted an tiny oil leak Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

jonnyqq

jonnyqq
Silver member
Silver member
Bert ,

Once again I thank you very much indeed.

Am now searching for that sleeping pill I know is in the med box somewhere!

john

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
jonnyqq wrote:Bert ,
Am now searching for that sleeping pill I know is in the med box somewhere! john
Mine is not sold in the drugstore. The brand name is called GlenMorangie. Take a couple of ounces before going to bed and rest insured that you will have a good night of sleep!
As a matter of fact, I just had a wee bee of it. Yummy!

The mysterious Hole at bottom of Mr K`s clutch housing has sprouted an tiny oil leak Frog15The mysterious Hole at bottom of Mr K`s clutch housing has sprouted an tiny oil leak Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

wedge

My brother in law over in Ca swears by fireball, Pops will be bringing some back with him no doubt when he visits next week.

jonnyqq

jonnyqq
Silver member
Silver member
Here is the leaky culprit

The mysterious Hole at bottom of Mr K`s clutch housing has sprouted an tiny oil leak Bmw_re21

Does anyone know whether this is an original bmw seal please? (see output shaft seal tutorial where seal is black).

The pic shows 3 x concentric rings of different colour and consistency, are they all "the seal"?

Last but not least, how do you get the Buggar out!? Very Happy

any advice once again v gratefully received gents

cork just out at 5.45pm

john

jonnyqq

jonnyqq
Silver member
Silver member
Have just been told buggar is spelt with an "E"

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
To remove the buggEr ( Razz) , Roy has found a very efficent solution: Check it here

If you don't have a kid to pull on the sledge hammer, just tie your dog's leash to the seal and then let the cat run in front of the dog. This should give enough tug to dislodge the seal. Very Happy

jonnyqq

jonnyqq
Silver member
Silver member
Unfortunetly the dog is no more, we do however have Goldfish, maybe with hooks on end of wires and a tasty maggot or two we should get a result. Hopefully will capture event on camera.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum