Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 18 of 20]

charlie99

VIP
VIP
hiya bert
hows things mate ?

did I read somewhere you have an old katana waiting for your expertise

I think I called past once or a couple of times  but saw no one there ol mate .... I guess I should have called first ..but one of those unplanned things
good to hear from you
thanks for the comment as well,
cheers !

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
G'day Bert, good to see that you are still around!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:maybe a daylight pic ? . . . anyhow a nice pic of the fields approaching Kingaroy ...where our mate alby and nic lives

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 Gerty_10
Very cool . . .looking good man . . exactly what I envisioned  . . .  🆒

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
a very wet weekend here ..but some great news 

did the tyre swap over to the "new to me" rim

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 10592613_10201420437393075_633689025136060854_n

then transfer the disks

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 10428605_10201420517075067_7540372561114593058_n

looks shiney and new

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 10447519_10201420518675107_754216152045183149_n

what do you think ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I'm envious Charlie, that looks great. You'll have to start insuring gerty now.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yeah I guess bob ...grin !

got just enough time between showers to throw that wheel on

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 10486513_10201420645078267_2833672750175954093_n

old "huey" is chucking down again...phew ...made it !

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Geez, that looks great!

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
Well done Charlie, looks great.

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
not far off being a show bike Charlie, looks good.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 10_x_110

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
crikey ed !  far more things to do to the old girl, shes no where near a show pony yet

currently working on ricks gear change stuff (got the relays in ) and some illumination markers for the rear end of gerty . an upgrade to the headlight running illumination ...looks great so far ...just need to implement it .

you really don't want to know the list ...it is huge ...but the paint stuff has been good therapy whilst budget restrictions in place ...I guess I blew my budget with the front end purchase ...(and a little more surprise stuff to come )

cheers !

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
smithy wrote:Well done Charlie, looks great.

+1.  85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 112350

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Charlie....you are abig concern to us....now we have to get our act together.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
just catchup stan

we do have some very impressive machines amongst the aussie mob

its a pity sometimes, that we travel through wet roads, dirt and grime on the way to our meet events
but I guess that what motorcycling is all about  eh ?

for me at least, im just happy to be able to get there and join in along with everybody from all over, no matter what they look like.

so good to see them on the road and doing the miles they were bred to do  .

thanks for the comments guys  85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 112350

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sort of a sunny sunday here ...enough to do the washing at least ...and to experience the new doctor who  early in the am  (not decided weather I like this one yet )

any how  I got some leds the other day and started on my rear illumination mods

pre-warning this might not be strictly legal out here ....but ill give it a go

I have serious issues with the rear lighting on old gerty  ...especially at night time ( after gaining some experience over the years of  following others , and the extended country miles I do on return legs of meetings etc )

I thought to make some more mods (yes I know ...when will it stop ???)

basically I put some red leds in the indicators ...to help widen - illuminate the rear end whilst travelling ....

heres my implementation .

behind the indicators is a tiny bit of room between the lens assembly and the backing of the assembly for the indicators
 I had thought to try 10 mm leds in there but was having issues with depth and projection into the void of the indicator assembly whisch may have affected indicator illumination function .

so suitably armed with 3 mm (about 5000- 8000  millicandellas of narrow beam light )

the idea was to eliminate the size issue within the housing  both on protrusion and defraction

I found a good mounting location  as you can see,  and not much interference with the indicator globe and ergonomics
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 2014-026

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 2014-027

a triffle orangy at day time ...but looking the goods
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 2014-028

but at night time.... wow ...just what the doctor ordered
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 2014-029

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 2014-031

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 2014-033

I have wired them so that they turn off as the indicator turns on ...blew up a couple with this experimentation ..oh well lets try again ...with a diode this time

success at last

ran out of diodes to complete the job to the left  unit ...but all prewired and ready to connect up ...this week sometime

do you like the idea ?

Last edited by charlie99 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Nice one Charlie.

The stock setup is pretty weak (the tail light is too small for my liking), so anything to make the bike look "bigger" is a good thing.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
agree blakey

reminded me of an old ducati I used to own

but I guess for the most part ...designed for street lights in most places ...we don't get that out here  ...and just a little way out of "town "

I recon the left hand side in addition ..will make a huge difference

cheers for the comment mate

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Excellent idea Charlie, I reckon im gonna steal it. Wink

You QLDers need to get rid of your rego labels though. Now that we dont have them down here it really stands out when I see them.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
cheers Floyd

ill post up the circuit required later this week ...else you might blow leds like I did ..

have fun !

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Looks good Charlie, but I am wondering on the legality of Duck's setup in Aus.

Too lazy to look it up, but from memory it flashes and blinks and then just says 'hey idiot, look over here and don't run over me'

I also like the indicator relay that is programmable

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
indeed rossko

would love to see advance indicators used out here ...as a standard

but honestly just trying a solution that im comfortable with ...there are such folks around the place that still cant indicate what they intend to do at all .......need I say it ...women dropping off kids to school .....indicate left,  then do a u turn right in front of you, without looking

just want to be seen at night mate ...heading down the cunninghams gap with a 4 wheel drive just about to run you over cause the didn't see you ...is not on my like list

perhaps the "kiss" principal applies ?

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
...and then there's black reflective tape for your paniers. It lights up like a pinball machine when headlights hit it.

It certainly gets you noticed by whoever is following you.

I've bought sheets of this stuff (when the postage was cheaper) and it works really well.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
I have that bit here blakey  and it is truly amazing stuff

I was thinking to have it cut with some form of design ...perhaps the forum logo

my gratitude is only exceeded by your generosity

cheers

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Nice mod Charlie.  I'm all for more visibility, however this setup would be illegal in Ontario (can't say for other provinces in Canada though).  To quote the Highway Traffic Act:

Lamps required on motorcycles

(2) Subject to subsection (3), when on a highway at any time every motorcycle shall carry two lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on the front of the vehicle which shall display a white light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (2).

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
I saw a mod the other day where someone (here?) had fitted a led bar in the sides of the rear light, which should be acceptable everywhere. Need to look it up as it looked good, want to do it myself as well.  Very Happy

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland 85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
When I returned my '77 Airhead home to OZ from the US (in late 2007) it had a full LED tail light module fitted which flashed when 12V was applied, as in stepping on the foot pedal or pulling the front lever, as well as having over twice the light area, and it was all inside the tail light's lens housing. It appeared stock when viewed from the outside. The braking flash sequence could be adjusted by the flick of a coupla dipswitches to be solidly on when braking, or a rapid-to-slow pulse, or a full on, rapid flash. The roadworthy inspector told me I could not have a 'pulsing' brake light so we switched it to normal illumination when braking, with instruction that a copper could book me if I switched it back to pulse mode. This he approved.

This issue got us talking and the inspector stated to me that additional brake lights and day/night 'running' lights could be added as long as they projected red to the rear and didn't interfere with the rear facing amber turn indicator function in any way. LED or incandescent, no matter. So, adding more light area to the rear is fully legal in Queensland at least as long as you follow those basic rules, according to this bloke. I took his word for it as he does several roadworthies a day. I dunno how a cop who's just pulled you over might take to this, however. I s'pose you could have a roadside chat about visibility and such. Ask him about his family, how's his favourite footy team going, etc...
 Cool

Damned if I could find anything about lighting regs on the bloody QT website.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ReneZ wrote:I saw a mod the other day where someone (here?) had fitted a led bar in the sides of the rear light, which should be acceptable everywhere. Need to look it up as it looked good, want to do it myself as well.  Very Happy

perhaps this one rene ?

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 Pics_010

Life time member
Life time member
Looks good charlie, better able to see what you've done on the computer screen. A lot of American import bikes over here run always on indicators as running lights but the cops here don't bust chops over small stuff like that.

Anything that widens the profile is a bonus in my book. I've seen those reflectors Blakey mentioned in the flesh and they light up extremely well but I personally don't like putting whie reflectors on the rear.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Charlie, yes, that looks like it. Details? Thanks.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland 85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
found it

sorry a lot of my pics got deleted off servimg  some while back
try here rene

https://www.k100-forum.com/t1833p250-85-rt-resto-my-attempt-hey-im-not-into-making-a-show-bike#32098

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
got time to finish the job , including a switch , in case mr plod gets greedy .

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 2014-034

I better draw up the circuit ....be right back

bit rough ...but you get the idea

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 Circui13

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Charlie, do the LEDS that you have installed to illuminate with the tail light mess with the standard bulb monitoring function (the red triangle hazard warning on the dash that shows up when a bulb blows).

Cheers

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
not at all gaz

the total current with the components I have used is less than 36 mill amp difference ...so that's .036 amps   when taken into a percentage of the usual current of a 5 watt globe in the front for the parker lamp and the 10 watt  lamp in the rear  = about 1.2 - 1.5 amps  the additional  0.036  is not a significant number at all

I have leds in the headlight for the parkers so this is already a lower figure ...but it is necessary to have at least a 10 watt load to the bmu  for all the right things .....hope that helps .

Last edited by charlie99 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Great, thanks mate.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
cant stop playing

some new leds around the headlight
 85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 10603657_10201507378646552_2303983170546930405_n

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
Very nice, Charlie.

I'm impressed!
Very Happy

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
How the hell did you do that?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
ainsjac wrote:How the hell did you do that?
We can now program the LEDs to do that sort of thing like make circle, rectangle and square as well as how often to blink

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol rick

I cheated stan

but looks ok eh ?!!
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 Img_1410

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
I see what Chas did there.

He bought an Audi and took the rest of it to the rubbish tip!   Very Happy

Kind of makes the old headlight look like a candle now.

Good stuff Charlie.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nearly fell of my chair gordo

thanks mate ...needed a blooming good belly laugh @!!!!

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 44271

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sorry ....last update for this weekend

contributors  blaKey  and 88ke ...thanks for the inspiration guys

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 10678693_10201508465913733_5550150863949660036_n

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Charlie99 has yet to discover the other use for a headlight like that - they're absolutely brilliant when putting up a tent after nightfall because you don't have to worry about your battery going flat. I've done something similar but the LED strips don't curve as nicely as that and I have seven 1-watt CREE LEDs along the top.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes indeed dai

sidecar paul has installer 10 watt leds in his parker light position , current limited to just a few watts ...looks great

I have been using leds for my camping for the last 2 years or so ...and have them installed in the car as in cabin illumination for about the same time ...they are great aren't they ???!

just trying to think of how to mount them inconspicuously on the windshield for night time parking illumination when needed

without any thing sticking out ,,,and also a nice neat connection of the fairing to windscreen connection ....think I have it sorted in a nice way ...keep on watching

cheers

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Charlie,
I'm still playing as well.

I've just bought some 140mm long COB LED strips from China and I've got some 170mm long strips on order. (The 140mm one take 88mA)

The section of the waterproof strips is 17mm x 3mm, so they are easy to fit in anywhere. (searching LED COB on e-bay brings up thousands of options, with two strips typically less than £6)

When illuminated they appear as a solid block of light and are extremely bright.

All good fun.
Paul.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Look carefully at those strips. Most places say if you want to shorten them you have to cut the unwanted LEDs off in blocks of three; in fact, you can use any offcuts as new strips. (I was going to stick this in a single paragraph but I think it makes more sense in how-to-do-it lines). You'll need a good Stanley knife/Xacto blade for this.

Place the offcut LED side up on the table
Parallel to each edge and about 5mm in, carefully make two slits about 10mm in length
At the far end of the slit, cut at 90 degrees to make a small 10mm x 5mm block on each side
When you've made the second cut, don't lift the knife blade but pull hard back to separate the rubber blocks from the backing strip
Scrape off the expose black paint to show the copper underneath
Solder on new wires.

Done. Summat for nowt.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep a good solution for many dai ...thanks for the contribution

it would really help someone on their first experimentation into led strips

I had done something a while ago .....(earlier in this thread )

some thing like this

https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/16/13/61/46/2013-014.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/16/13/61/46/2013-015.jpg

might be useful on my night time illumination mounted on the screen

cheers

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
time for the big fat tyre to be changed out

down to the canvas  but lasted a little longer than the scrapheap run ....about 1600 ks ...so I got lucky I guess

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 2014-110

the passionate tyre guy is away at the moment (gp perhaps ?)

so will have to try the tyre repair at home of the tek screw through the  thinner sports demon

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 10635764_10201561751205832_2844770843278412538_n

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Charlie...looks as though you will have to retire..or retyre ...depending on where you live.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol  thanks stan

bit of a bugga really ....long weekend here and if I stuff up ....no riding ...sniffle

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
started a bit of a clean up to some header pipes that I got a hold of recently (came with the "practice motor " from our mate alby )

looks like they have never been cleaned before , with acres of baked in grime and crap off the roads

I started on the no 3 pipe ....but found I needed more drastic cleaning method

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 10606275_10201681010147231_665004589299874181_n

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 10354173_10201681011667269_8948066910345216197_n

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 1521257_10201681014267334_7254820922263113692_n
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 10170967_10201681015027353_1528974517433911023_n

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 18 10456210_10201681015307360_5803648315924235852_n

starting to look better I recon ...

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Those pipes will be smoking soon.....what did you use to clean them?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum