BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hi from Tasmania Empty Hi from Tasmania Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:01 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Greetings to all and where would we be without the Internet.
I purchased my 1984 K100RT (140000k) almost on a whim after an 18 year hiatus from riding. My last bike was an R100RT and an R65 prior to that so I was reasonably familiar with the BMW "ethic".
The K100 appeared at what I thought was a bargain price so I purchased with eyes wide shut and hoped for the best.
It did not require a great deal to get registered and me riding again but the old story about riding a bike is not quite true but I am getting there. Researching on the Internet revealed what I had let myself in for but I am slowly ironing out the bugs and that is part of the fun although can wear a bit thin at times and certainly put a strain on the wallet. I have found it much cheaper to purchase spare parts from the US or UK even including the freight but the turnaround time for these considering they are being sent half-way around the world is excellent.
A restoration like Bert's would be my ultimate goal but whether the budget will stretch that far is another matter. We also have the "luxury" of being able to ride through winter so I can't use that as an excuse either.
I echo the comments of others in saying thank you for creating the forum as it is an excellent opportunity to share ideas and experiences and keep us on the road.

Regards,

Phil Mars

2Back to top Go down   Hi from Tasmania Empty Re: Hi from Tasmania Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:35 am

roys

Silver member
Silver member
A world apart we seem to have same story.

I to bought a k100, nearly on a whim, after 18 years (and 19Kg...) not riding.

Same problems with supplies - I need to get everything shipped from England /USA and at times even pay customs.

I took 2 full day driving courses given by local professional team which were very helpful in getting me to ride safely and enjoy more - I recommend this.

and.. I too wish to reach Bert's level - but am far far behind.

So far I am really enjoying this old bike - its surprisingly fast and strong.

ATB
Roy

3Back to top Go down   Hi from Tasmania Empty Re: Hi from Tasmania Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:40 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
I have not taken the advanced riding course yet but definitely plan to.

To me the "K" is a bit of an enigma but they do grow on you and
considering their age very advanced.

It fits me reasonably well which is half the battle although the seat and windscreen require some changes to improve the comfort level.

The power is more than adequate especially top gear roll-on from about 80k's.

I have come to the conclusion the best thing you can do is buy a bike that nearly suits you and then make it yours.

Fortunately we are quite spoilt for choice re parts and accessories so it is not as hard as it was 20 years ago.

Regards,

Phil

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum