BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

While we're on the subject of rides, and to give an additional distraction to our snow and Winter-bound fellow moto travellers a feast for their hungry, can't-ride-'cause-of-the-damn-weather-eyes, here's a coupla three pics of a recent ride I took on my K100RS from Tweed Heads NSW, through Murwillumbah, Chillingham, out over the border range to Cave Creek's Natural Bridge NP in Queensland, then on to Byron Bay NSW. These are mainly photos of locations, not so much of the roads. But those narrow, local roads round these parts are mainly twisty and ideal for a motorbike and rider on a sunny arvo with a bit of time and in no particular rush. Itsa bit of a bitsa, but you'll get the picture.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2110
Here's the obligatory motorbike happy snap.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2111
You can get anything you want at Chillingham's general store. Some dreaded rasta will sell you local bud, they make an excellent cup of coffee in the shop, you can get petrol, post a letter, or snack on Aussie bush tucker, the woman across the road grows loofa sponges and makes soap, or you can indulge in an Aussie meat pie and a stubbie, if that's your poison.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2112
The top 'entrance' to the Natural Bridge, an eroded basalt riverbed cave.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2113
The light through the falling water is ethereal. Glow worms attach themselves to the ceiling and bats fly round day and night. In days gone by one could have a splash in the cool water, but lately the research shows that whatever we wash ourselves or perfume ourselves with is harming the locals. Thus, swimming is verboten. Might have had something to do with the number of broken bottles in the creek bed after clandestine late night piss ups, too.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2116
The view from Cave Creek, downstream of the 'Natural Bridge'.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2114
The dense undergrowth is home to a whole heap of variety, one of my favourites of which is the strangler fig, which attaches itself to a 'donor' tree and eventually takes right over. They can tower above the other trees right up to the forest canopy. I can picture dinosaurs wandering about, it's positively prehistoric.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2115
One can never have too many profile photos of one of their favourite mounts!

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2117
A fine, blue sky day.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2118
Off to the beach. Byron Bay from Cape Byron.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2125
There's not a lot of it left any more, so we need a sign to remind us of what we've lost and continue to lose. It does a hardscrabble existence, clinging to a thin strip of land along the edge of the East Coast all the way up to the Daintree and beyond, on Cape York. Progress took the rest.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2119
The clouds move in, but even on a drizzly day the landscape and ocean are majestic. Cape Byron.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2120
I call this one, 'Old Wood x 2'. The walk up to the lighthouse is not strenuous, but there are several resting points, this one in particular grabbed my attention, and bade me sit down a while and take in the view.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2121
Cape Byron Lighthouse is still in operation flashing its warning to sea travellers and fishermen along the north coast of New South Wales.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2126
The lighthouse keeper's quarters, now a museum and cafe, where you can press your lips to a fine mug of steaming rich coffee to ward off the rider's chill, brewed and served by a young Swedish or Irish or German or Brazilian backpacker. Australia beckons. It's all good.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2122
Literally, the place of first light on the mainland of Terra Australis. From here you can watch any number of dolphins, whales, sharks or manta patrolling for a feed or just lolling round in the warm water and waves.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2123
I love a good waves breaking over the rocky shoreline shot!

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Dscf2124
Tallow's Beach from the top of Cape Byron, looking South. About 800 kilometres South of here is The Big Smoke, Sydney, just to put the size of the place into some sorta perspective.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Surf10
A fine way to wrap up a good riding day. A lot of Aussies like to find a nice little beach with a fine little break, and catch wave after wave after wave till they've got nothing on their mind. It's a bit like a long ride, where we empty our head, I guess.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. 05-02-10
We all like a good view, and this one from Point Danger, on the NSW/Queensland border is a fine one on a warm evening.

Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. 05-02-11
There's nothing like the old Western tale of the loner riding off on horseback (in our case, motorbikes) into the sunset. Of course if I attempted this I'd be drowning quick smart. This is sunrise instead. Time for the start of another long ride! Cheers.

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:21 pm; edited 3 times in total

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
TWB,
I have said it before and I'll say it again, you have a way with words and a fine book should be in your future plans.

We have the strangler fig here in England but we call it illegal immigrant......boom boom.
Thanks Ajays

AJAYS

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great images twb ......that has been my playground for many years ...good onya bloke

havent done the full natural bridge run yet ...i usually end up in numinbar valley and heading back out the way i came in .

thinking about posting the pics of the famous ...nebo , glorious run at the back of brisbane ...it attracts hundreds each and every weekend

need some help with the pics though ......anybody close by and willing ???

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
Hmmm, what you have there is called paradise, TWB. Gorgeous stuff.

Guess I'm just gonna have to be happy for you instead of jealous for me!

Bob

It's often called the Lucky Country. Didn't I once read or hear in a song once that if 'you call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye'? Yeah, we like it here alright. You should come and ride with us some time. Reckon there's a whole heap of us who'd show you round. Cheers.

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

What fantastic pictures thank you for sharing them with us I could almost feel myself tucking into one of your mentioned Aussie meat pies
brilliant.

BIG D

7Back to top Go down   Coast to Mountains to Coast Ride - Northern New South Wales/SE Queensland. Empty The Dream . . . Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:59 pm

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
Yes, that's the dream for most bike enthusiasts, isn't it? To ride where you want to--when you want to.

I'll sing a familiar song now. Bert sang it the other day. We're in that family-centric period of life now, and riding is regrettably something that gets squeezed in between other things (like the eight and one-half minute ride I took yesterday after work at the end of the February thaw. Now six fresh inches of snow this morning). <DEEP SIGH> At least the new snow is brilliant white, not the slate grey stuff underneath.

But I've dreamed the ride. Looking at tour operators' web sites, looking at rental bikes, blog posts, and glimpsing the photos and narratives like the excellent ones right here.

I'd love to ride just about anywhere that someone has said or shown, "This is a great ride." In due time, in due time . . .

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Great stuff as always TWB! I echo Ajays let's have a book of your writings and photos.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum