BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I have got the chance to get a second hand Drive shaft and diff housing from a 84 bike, am i right in believing that it is a 16 spline version? also are there advantages to using the 16 spline version?

I of course have the 20 spline on the bike but it needs repairing.... am almost thinking about getting them as a spare......

Suppose my question is am i being sensible or silly?

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
seems to me, that there is more face metal on the 16 spline shaft twincarb , i seem to see lots of failed 20 splines and the 16 splines seem to have other issues besides the spline joint .

i guess thats a judgment call ....depending on cost of replacement versus repair ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I think that i would be going in at a price lower than repairing my driveshaft to be cheeky!

I seem to recall reading various people saying that the "newer" 20 spline versions seem to have more troubles...

The guy is local as well so i will be giving him a hand to take the bits off i need! I am trying to decide what parts to get as spares as well lol!

'84 driveshaft-diff housing transplant... 169042'84 driveshaft-diff housing transplant... 169034

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
keep in mind the diff ratios twincab ......although that really doesnt make a big difference if you travel at subsonic speeds ...giggle

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Good point with the ratio's maybe i should offer an extra £30 for his gearbox.....

hmmmm... temptations..

'84 driveshaft-diff housing transplant... 169042'84 driveshaft-diff housing transplant... 169034

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
I replaced the 16 spline drive shaft and final drive unit on my 86 RT with a 20 spline shaft and final drive from a later ( I think 88 ) RS. I find that the higher ratio of the RS unit makes the engine feel less busy at normal road speeds ( 80 to 120 Km/h ) and I have stopped looking for to change up into the non existent sixth gear since I fitted it. The reason for going from 16 spline to 20, simple the splines on the shaft and final drive were on their last legs, and the RS units turned up at the right time.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Grab every bit you can get they dont make any of the major components any more and you may be able to swap or sell to get what you need at some other time.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
I bought a 87 LT last week as a parts bike. The engine seems to be very sick, a lot of banging and oil pressure light on when I started it for a few seconds Shocked . Not going to try that again before I open it to investigate. So far it has donated the screen (2 inches higher than the one I was using) the gear lever, and the Nivomat rear shock.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
heres hoping its got the 12 rivet output shaft avenger ?

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
"heres hoping its got the 12 rivet output shaft avenger ?"

Will only worry about that if I have to Charlie '84 driveshaft-diff housing transplant... 112350

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum