BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty clutch problems Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:32 am

gabriel

Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi

I'vw been working on my bike for the past few weeks trying to remove the gearbox. I also decided to check the clutch. The components were stuck fast and I finally managed to remove the clutch.

unfortunately in my haste to remove the clutch I damaged the pins on the pressure ring (first cover under bolts)...doooh!affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid

I have decided to replace the friction plate and the pressure ring but i have no idea how to balance the components. some claim it doesn't matter, but I know that BMW marked the plates for a reason...what happens when the pressure ring and pressure plate are replaced.

I also noticed a very light film of grease around the outer edge of the clutch components on the inside of the bellhousing. i cleaned the area and i had a look to try and figure where the oil or grease was originating.

i had a peek behind the clutch housing and it was dry.

i dont want to mess with the output shaft seal unless its absolutely necessary. i noticed a light film of grease covering the clutch input side of the gerbox. me thinks it's leaking from the gearbox.

anyway i have decided not to disturb the clutch housing and instead replace the clutch components. i also have the problem of the new components and how to balance them.

which type of grease do i use when installing the clutch components?

all suggestions are appreciated.

cheers

2Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:15 am

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi Gabriel not sure about the balance but make sure you replace the clutch bolts with NEW ones as the old ones would of stretched

cheers Tony

3Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:50 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Best thing to replace them with is a hex head bolt. They are a 7mm x 1mm thread and the only place I have been able to get them is REPCO they come in a blister pack and are made by Champion you find them on a rotating stand in the REPCO shops. It is worth using them as they dont strip the centre out when using a torque wrench like the low head socket head bolts that are the genuine thing.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:20 am

gabriel

Platinum member
Platinum member
not quite certain if I described the situaton accurately, but the clutch bolts were fine. The problem is the guide pins attached to the front friction plate. I bent two of the pins as I tried to remove it from the engine.

i now have to replace this item and I am not certain how one goes about balancing the two components when they are replaced.

cheers

5Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:39 am

clutch problems Clutch10
There's no balancing of any of these clutch components, but you should always replace the one-time use clutch bolts and the O-ring under the centre flange nut. Keep in mind, too, that what ever uneven wear or score marks are on the pressure plates will be transferred quick smart to the new disc.

6Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:06 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
In my books it`s mentioned that it should be balancing marks on part 1,4,6 that should be spaced 120 degree from each other.

I haven`t noticed these marks, but maked my own before dismantling.

Have read several places on the net, about a lot of vibrations if this haven`t been followed.

Inge K.

7Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If the oil is not behind the clutch then it has to be comming from the nut at the centre and that happenes if the O ring is shagged (east to have on a 20+ year bike). You need to replace the O ring and nut so you may as well replace the seal. Its a lot of work if it starts leaking shortly after which is highly likely after all it is the same age as the O ring you are replacing.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

8Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:28 pm

gabriel

Platinum member
Platinum member
thanks for the responses. there seems to be difffering opinions regarding the balancing of the components.

i has a close look at the front and rear pressure plates and notices that although they are symmetrical, the front pressure plate has several round sections drilled into the outer surface. i also noticed that the clutch housing is not symmetrical. usually there is two holes for the bolts and one for the guide pins, but there is one section of the clutch housing which has additional holes. surely this would affect the components?

i wonder how BMW deals with this situation...

cheers

9Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:44 pm

gabriel

Platinum member
Platinum member
checked out k bikes forum and there was a thread regarding the clutch components. i noticed the pressure plate looked different to the one in my bike. the one pictured in the forum doesnt have the additional indentation marks....if that's the case i dont understand why the components are balanced. both pressure plates are symmetrical so why the markings?

i also noticed two red dots on the clutch nut? any ideas why.....

10Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:34 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
gabriel were the dots on the thread section ?

some times assemblers mark the threads with a spot of nail varnish ....works like locktight

extra drill marks /holes usually means the that part of assembly has been balenced ....or more correctly compensated for something in the manufacturing process .

it certainly would be good to mark the assembly before pulling it apart

i am a little concerned that the pins were bent .....but really shouldnt make that much difference ....as long as they are still there ...have you tried ..carefully bending them back into place?

the main reason for this is to maintain the original weight effect of the rotating assembly as a whole

if everything is still there...you may be just over complicating the whole deal with worry

hope this helps ....

11Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:56 am

gabriel

Platinum member
Platinum member
HI

the pins on the rear friction plate must be perfectly straight or else it will be next to impossible to reattach it to the clutch housing..i tried..it was a tight fit...also important to remember that the front pressure plate (with the springs on the outer circumference) moves along the guide pins when the clutch disengages.

if the pins are not straight, it will be difficult for the front pressure plate to move along these pins.. i tried..it was very difficulty for me to disassemble the components.

any of the experts out there have the defiinitive answer to this problem?

these components are replaceable, therefore there must be a way to "balance" the components or are we perhaps exaggerating the idea of balancing the components......

there was a red dot on the end of the bolt and the nut..two small perfect dots......

i will try and take a photo and upload it..if only i knew how to do it...

cheers.....

12Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:59 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
The recommended solution to BMW mechanics for the situation you're in was to replace the clutch assembly as a complete unit. That's what I've read (I'm not a mechanic). For the service department, time is money.

Since we don't have access to the factory equipment used to balance the clutch parts, the only means open to the home mechanic to achieve a balanced installation is trial-and-error. It will be necessary to disassemble the transmission housing and reorient the clutch components 1,4 and 6 relative to each other if you find that you have vibration upon reassembly. This is very labour intensive and may take up to six tries to achieve balance (theoretically of course). That is why most home mechanics emphasize marking the components prior to first disassembly.

There are supposed to be paint marks on the clutch parts (not the drive shaft and clutch nut) put there by the factory. Look very carefully for those marks. I disassembled and replaced my rear seal this summer and never noticed red dots on the clutch nut.

13Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:27 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
The marks have been earlier noted as white or yellowish paint 'licks'. I understand they have marked the heaviest side, so putting it together with the three paint marks 120 degrees from each other should balance it out best.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland clutch problems Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

14Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:01 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Rene, you would be correct if the original parts were being mated back together. However, the OP has stated that he purchased a new clutch pressure plate, part 4. All bets are off now that the two pieces of the clutch pressure assembly are no longer factory matched.

I don't know that the assembly can be assembled in a balanced form. The two parts, 4 and 6 in the diagram above, are balanced as a unit and separately from the clutch basket, part 1. The OP could try setting the factory marks 120 degrees from each other (assuming they can be found). If I were in this position, however, I'd either try to straighten the pins on the original pressure plate and reuse it. Or I would try to purchase a used pressure plate assembly consisting of the factory matched parts 4 and 6 from a breaker's yard.

15Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:40 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Do not try to straighten the pins they are heat treated and hardened, if they don't fracture they will be damaged and will most likely fail in service. You will find that they will be a standard size and you should be able to purchase generic pins and alter the length.

16Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:42 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good tip k freak ...are they rolled pins ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

17Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:48 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
charlie99 wrote:good tip k freak ...are they rolled pins ?

No not rolled more like a roller bearing roller.

18Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:41 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Ah, didn't know that. Thanks. Pin replacement is a better idea in light of that bit of knowledge.

19Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:22 am

gabriel

Platinum member
Platinum member
Thanks for the replies. The pins cannot be straightened and they appear to be "welded" to the face of the pressure plate. where would one begin trying to replace the pins.

i will consider contacting Motobins and motoworks and try to source a second hand set of clutch components (front and rear pressure plates) or compare a replacement plate with my plate and try and match the markings......

cheers

20Back to top Go down   clutch problems Empty Re: clutch problems Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:04 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The pins are a press fit into one side and a size fit to the other. You could see a local engineering shop to source the pins, you may be able to use some rollers from a bearing assy. I have a few clutch assemblys with pins if you want one. Semd a PM for details. Depending where you are in Oz you may be able to come get them.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum