BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   The engine just cut out Empty The engine just cut out Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:16 pm

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
Started the bike today. It idled for a couple of minutes and then just stopped just like it was switched off. All seemed normal, the expected lights on the dash, but the starter would not work until I turned the key off and back on. It's never done that before. Ran fine after restarting.

I wasn't going for a ride, just like to give it a run on the weekend when I don't have time for a ride. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to have problems on the next ride.

2Back to top Go down   The engine just cut out Empty Re: The engine just cut out Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:15 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sounds like starter motor brush issue ....

easy to get at ...although time consuming ....get new brushes first

but we have seen main switch issues lately

3Back to top Go down   The engine just cut out Empty Re: The engine just cut out Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:20 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I would suspect a bad ground connection at ignition ECU (under the front of the tank).

The negative side of the injection relay coil is grounded through the ignition ECU (suddenly stop).

The negative side of the starter relay coil is also grounded through the ignition ECU (to avoid that the starter can be engaged when engine is running).

I would have checked the multi connector at this ECU.

Inge K.

4Back to top Go down   The engine just cut out Empty Re: The engine just cut out Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
but we have seen main switch issues lately
Embarassed Very Happy Embarassed Very Happy

5Back to top Go down   The engine just cut out Empty Re: The engine just cut out Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:32 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
It does not sound like starter brushes to me because they control the load relay that only affects the various non critical circuits not used during start and run until one releases the start button. I would suggest giving the key a gentle turn when it is running not enough to switch right off but enough to move the contacts around inside to see if they go open circuit. The other suspect area would be the plug and socket under the fuel tank which connects the tank to the electrics.
Regards
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down   The engine just cut out Empty Re: The engine just cut out Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:43 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Or the kill switch contacts.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland The engine just cut out Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

7Back to top Go down   The engine just cut out Empty Re: The engine just cut out Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:44 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Pjjms did mention that all control lights did function as normal. If it have been the kill switch that have been the reason to the problem they would have stayed dark.

Inge K.

8Back to top Go down   The engine just cut out Empty Re: The engine just cut out Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:17 am

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
I had some time to work on the bike today. Pulled the tank off. Needed to do that to fix the fuel leak on the sender anyway. Cleaned up all the conections under the tank. The engine started and ran fine, but I did a number of start and on one the charge light stayed on after it started and then the engine ran rough and stopped a few seconds later. It would not restart without the key being turned off and back on. I then turned the key on and off a few times and about every 4th or 5th time the dash lights were dimmer than normal, and when that happened the bike would not start. Wrigglinng the key made the lights go to normal brightness, sometimes. So I took the ignition switch apart. Fortunitly I had some paper under it because as expected bits fell out. Cleaned it all up and got it back together and cannot get it to fault now. So heres hoping. Very Happy Deoxit came in handy. I picked some up a few months back after reading about it here, but never got around to doing all the connectors. Funny how a problem like this gets some action, I now have lots of clean electrical conections all over the bike.

Even got motivated into doing a spline lube while I was keen. Bike has done 24000km and I don't know the history. Splines were well lubed and in good condition when I took it apart. Cleaned and relubed.

As for the fuel leak. The parts book shows a gasket on the sender (early type) but none was fitted. Put an O ring on it and all seems fuel tight so far.

I must say I do like this bike more with every ride, and every session in the shed sorts a few more of the age related problems. I think its about there now.

Peter

9Back to top Go down   The engine just cut out Empty Re: The engine just cut out Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:58 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good one pete ....good luck mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   The engine just cut out Empty Re: The engine just cut out Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Glad it's working again Peter.

It's good when a fault is diagnosed as definitavly as that, sure makes for a confident outcome.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

11Back to top Go down   The engine just cut out Empty Re: The engine just cut out Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:34 pm

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
I must add some thanks for the input from you all. It is easy to get a little overwhelmed with electrical problems given these bikes are full of electrics. I'm a mechanical type and all those problems can be seen. Not so easy with those sneeky little electorns! Your pointers in the right direction made it much easier.

Peter

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum