BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Cruise Control Empty Cruise Control Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:29 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I've been considering installing cruise control on the R1150RT. In my search I also found info on an install on a K11, which should be adaptable for a K100. Does that interest anyone?

Here is the link: K1100 Cruise Control install

Also, what experiences have any of you had with such things? I'll be going with the Audiovox CCS-100 unit unless someone has a grander idea.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

2Back to top Go down   Cruise Control Empty Re: Cruise Control Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I tried in vain to install a CC on my K100 and got to the point of having it all worked out and the electronics of the CC failed so I called it quits.
The K11 write up that Drake Smith did does not apply to a K100 due to the slight differences.
The CCS 100 is definately the one to get as it will read the coil pulses so you dont need to set up the magnets on a drive shaft caper. The most difficult part is finding a place to mount the servo unit and vacuum canister. The control is an easy thing to mount and waterproof as Drake Smith described.
I cant help with fittment to an R series as I don't know them well especially the Oil Heads.
AFAIK the only place you will get a CCS100 is from Murphs Kits in Kentucky as the original Distributer ceased to have them and Murph managed to get the Manfacturers to make them again for him.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Cruise Control Empty Re: Cruise Control Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:55 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
There is a write up on line for the Oilheads, that's no prob. I think the part I'll have to overcome is magnets on the front wheel to read road speed. I'm thinking you should be able to pick up a signal from the rear wheel speed sensor, but the author couldn't get that to fly. Not sure why...

What differences in the K1100 would stop you from adapting to the K100?

4Back to top Go down   Cruise Control Empty Re: Cruise Control Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:57 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
True on sourcing, tho I've found one on Kijiji on the other side of the country for cheap. Negotiating now... A used one on Ebay recently too.

5Back to top Go down   Cruise Control Empty Re: Cruise Control Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:05 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The throttle cable is different and on the K100 it comes in over the air filter box and it is difficult to get something to work, on the K11 the cable comes down the left side and pulls directly up and so the similar position can be used for the CC but because of the air box being larger it can't be done that way on the K100.
The one that Murph has will connect to the coil for speed so no need to have the magnets at all.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

6Back to top Go down   Cruise Control Empty Re: Cruise Control Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:17 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
hmmm I'll have to review that part. Must be a simple mod even if the one I get doesnt have it.

7Back to top Go down   Cruise Control Empty Re: Cruise Control Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:31 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
To make it work on the K100 I made some parts that Rube Golberg would have been proud of but it did work. It needed new cables to be made and a lever and shaft to get the action out from behind the airbox so both cables (CC and throttle) could be used without snaging to prevent that OMG the throttle is wide open and there is not much road left feeling.
If you want I will do some drawings and send or post them.

8Back to top Go down   Cruise Control Empty Re: Cruise Control Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:10 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
For me, no need, I'll be installing on the R. But others might?

9Back to top Go down   Cruise Control Empty Re: Cruise Control Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:26 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I've got an Audiovox CCS-100 cruise unit coming from Dartmouth Nova Scotia. Bert, do you know where that is???

I'll give it a look (squiz?) and see how it might fit the K, though it will go onto my R. If it seems doable, maybe the K will get one too.

10Back to top Go down   Cruise Control Empty Re: Cruise Control Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:16 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Cruise unit arrived this week. Prolly be a bit before I can install it on the R. Doing some off season work to the K right now. I'll update on it once it's installed/tested.

11Back to top Go down   Cruise Control Empty Re: Cruise Control Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:57 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
squiz is correct clubbie (look see...quizzical survey of the scene by eye )

"onya ol mate" passes over a "shooie" or two

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum