BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Air filter fitment Empty Air filter fitment Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Moto Smith

Moto Smith
Silver member
Silver member
Hopefully this will save someone a few minutes of poking around, turning the air blue.

The air filter comes with a 'This way up" sign BUT, mine also has a this way front unsigned or at least very subtly.

There are a couple of vertical bars on the outside of the filter fore and aft - as it fits on the bike. 1/16 (1.5mm) wide and the filter height say 1 inch (25mm).

These should be on the outside of the bike Very Happy

The filter will fit back to front no problem, the top will fit on..
but the do-dad clip just above the fuel pressure regulator wont clip, it'll just keep bouncing off Evil or Very Mad

In my own defense, that was how I found the bike as I was on my way to replacing the return fuel line - so I thought 'damaged part.'
The torch and slightly stronger glasses revealed the true cause Embarassed
I had the top on and off looking for a trapped something that was stopping the top from seating Question

http://www.markaspery.com

2Back to top Go down   Air filter fitment Empty Re: Air filter fitment Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:53 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Timely tip Moto Smithy I just bought a new one and as usual been procrastinating about fitting it because of those pesky clips. I better break out the Magoo glasses then.
Cheers mate
RT

3Back to top Go down   Air filter fitment Empty Re: Air filter fitment Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:48 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
On a genuine filter there is a channel that the top of the box locates onto, this channel has no outer edge on the sid that goes to the left hand side of the bike.
If you slide the filter into the opening and the channel closest to you (right side) locates the top of the box then the left side is also located. If you put it in back to front the channel will locate but it is very difficult to do it.
If you use a K & N filter the channel is all the way round the filter and it helps to trim the outer edge to be like the genuine ones, be careful with the knife when trimming not to cut too deep and ruin the sealing surface.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Air filter fitment Empty Re: Air filter fitment Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:34 am

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Oh i know how much fun it can be to do. I even tried to do it without taking my lower fairing off Mad ( i'd just got the bike and had no info on it).Hence why i joined this fine forum.

Neighbours learnt some new words. I already have magoo glasses, wonder if i can get stronger ones Smile

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

Air filter fitment 170874

5Back to top Go down   Air filter fitment Empty Re: Air filter fitment Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:47 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Just get an old glass coke bottle and use the bottom of them.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

6Back to top Go down   Air filter fitment Empty Re: Air filter fitment Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:54 am

Moto Smith

Moto Smith
Silver member
Silver member
K Freak wrote:Just get an old glass coke bottle and use the bottom of them.

It's finding the frames to match...

7Back to top Go down   Air filter fitment Empty Re: Air filter fitment Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:04 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Happy days
I bought my filter from Munich Motorcycles in Perth Australia, it is a KNECHT
by Mahle (made in Austria, not to be confused with Australia) it is an LX75
Part no. 1303400k.
It slipped in first go, perfect seal without any modification.
Then it took me an hour to do up that mongrel clip at the back of the airbox.
Cheers RT

8Back to top Go down   Air filter fitment Empty Re: Air filter fitment Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:22 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Here's what I do...

Hold that clip in the correct (unclipped) position with a pair long long needle-nose pliers. I did this from the right side of the bike.

Get a chopstick. Using your other hand, feed the chop stick down through the frame and stuff until it is positioned on the upper back area of the clip. Push the clip on.

So, one hand has the pliers hold the clip on while the other hand has the chopstick pushing the back of the clip.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

9Back to top Go down   Air filter fitment Empty Re: Air filter fitment Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Moto Smith

Moto Smith
Silver member
Silver member
RT wrote:Happy days
I bought my filter from Munich Motorcycles in Perth Australia, it is a KNECHT
by Mahle (made in Austria, not to be confused with Australia) it is an LX75
Part no. 1303400k.
It slipped in first go, perfect seal without any modification.
Then it took me an hour to do up that mongrel clip at the back of the airbox.
Cheers RT

That was my issue - a great fit, but I couldn't get the clip done.
I turned the filter around, front to back and hey presto - clip went in first time - no problem.
It's the little vertical bars on the outside of the filter that are the problem - they interfere with that furthest clip if the filter is in back to front.

Cheers, M

10Back to top Go down   Air filter fitment Empty Re: Air filter fitment Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:45 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
blakey wrote:Here's what I do...

Hold that clip in the correct (unclipped) position with a pair long long needle-nose pliers. I did this from the right side of the bike.

Get a chopstick. Using your other hand, feed the chop stick down through the frame and stuff until it is positioned on the upper back area of the clip. Push the clip on.

So, one hand has the pliers hold the clip on while the other hand has the chopstick pushing the back of the clip.

io guess the fried rice is a feeby ...after all i just want the chopstick huh ?

11Back to top Go down   Air filter fitment Empty Re: Air filter fitment Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:05 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good tip Neil it's ideas like that which are difficult to come by under pressure, good on you for sharing.
Regards,
K-BIKE

12Back to top Go down   Air filter fitment Empty Re: Air filter fitment Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:08 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Good one Blakey, I didn't even have a proper long pair of needle nose pliers. Guess I'll have to take the mother in law shopping again, then to a Chinese for lunch. When's pension week?
RT

13Back to top Go down   Air filter fitment Empty Re: Air filter fitment Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:11 am

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
I stuck a little magnet onto the tip of a flat blade screwdriver, was able to position and secure the clip easily.

http://www.airware.com.au

14Back to top Go down   Air filter fitment Empty Re: Air filter fitment Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:57 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Obviously most of you guys were bought up between the wars and have had to be more ingenious. I am of course much younger and inexperienced.
RT

15Back to top Go down   Air filter fitment Empty Re: Air filter fitment Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:02 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
RT wrote:Obviously most of you guys were bought up between the wars and have had to be more ingenious. I am of course much younger and inexperienced.
RT
Air filter fitment 44271

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum