BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Intermittent misfire Empty Intermittent misfire Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:29 pm

stuartromsey

For a while, I have suffered a serious misfire after going over a bump. Restarting has cleared the fault. However, today, the fault did not clear, and I have limped home. I am assuming a loose contact, and am starting with coil contacts. Any suggestions of what might be causing the problem?

2Back to top Go down   Intermittent misfire Empty Re: Intermittent misfire Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:03 pm

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Stuart,

From another UK resident - Welcome to the forum.

You could check to see if the the HT lead connections to the plugs are secure. They sometimes are not pushed fully home, so can cause that sort of problem.

Also check to see if the ECU cable is fully seated.

Mike

3Back to top Go down   Intermittent misfire Empty Re: Intermittent misfire Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:13 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
mike is right on the money stuart ....

and welcome to the forum...

lots of us have experienced exactly those issues at one time

a close inspection of the plug tops might be a good idea .....a lot of spark plugs these days do not come supplied with ferules which make the plug to lead connection to 5 odd mm ... we have seen many without these ferrules and just the thread visible (3mm) and the gap between the high tension lead to spark plug is quite remarkably loose and the lead clip showing major pitting around the metal where the connection should be made .

cheers

4Back to top Go down   Intermittent misfire Empty Re: Intermittent misfire Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:59 am

stuartromsey

Thanks guys. Having checked and cleaned HT and LT leads at coils, the bike is running, but not quite smoothly. I notice that I inadvertently swapped the coils over. Are they identical?

5Back to top Go down   Intermittent misfire Empty Re: Intermittent misfire Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:09 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep sure are stuart .. did you do any measurements of the lead resistances ....high tension and low tension of the coils ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Intermittent misfire Empty Re: Intermittent misfire Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:54 pm

stuartromsey

No, haven't got the gear, and pig ignorant about electricity! Prior to today's fix, it was running smoothly between misfire incidents. Now it's not having misfire episodes (so far) but just feels a bit rough.

7Back to top Go down   Intermittent misfire Empty Re: Intermittent misfire Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:04 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
there is an excelent article about multi meters on the forum here by kbike

i really recommend a thorough read of it ...you will be needing those skills soon enough ...unless your pockets are deep and well full

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Intermittent misfire Empty Re: Intermittent misfire Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:14 pm

stuartromsey

Thanks. Time I learnt a bit!

9Back to top Go down   Intermittent misfire Empty Re: Intermittent misfire Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Stuart....I see in your earlier answer that you cleaned HT & LT at the coils......only?........

As Charlie mentions....did you remove the sparkplug caps, and checked that you got the adaptors installed?
It`s quite common that they are missing....and resulting spark erosion and corrosion at the connectors inside the caps.

Just asking, you might have overlooked it.

Inge K.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum