BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Wind noice / buffeting on LT Empty Wind noice / buffeting on LT Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:57 am

sensei

Hi, I am new on the LT and now on the high way after along winter, I'v noticed an unpleasant high level of wind noice and buffeting when driving above 100 km/h. Last summer I drove more than 5000 km in the US on a HD Electra Glide, which turned out to be much more comfortable when it comes to wind noice and buffeting. Any suggestions on how to better this condition; it may be that my screen is not the original - which type, size and manufacture of screen is best when it comes to defeating wind noice - what is your experience? I am 1.80 m tall and wear a full face helmet and sometimes a pilot helmet but, the full face seems to create the worst buffeting (low frequency rumble/buffeting) Cheers /Finn

2Back to top Go down   Wind noice / buffeting on LT Empty Re: Wind noice / buffeting on LT Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:18 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i too have issues ...but with an rt fairing screen ....with lip ....funny but i have 2 visors ....one is good for the noise ...the other fits with a little seepage around the sealing face of the visor to helmet ,,,and is much noisier ....other wise its all good ...as long as i dont stop i dont get wet at all (except for the just below knee region ....i have not fitted the fairing lowers ....just yet ) verry low buffeting ...unless there is a powerfull sidewind
i am 183 cm

hope that helps

Last edited by charlie99 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Wind noice / buffeting on LT Empty Re: Wind noice / buffeting on LT Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:23 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
sensei wrote: the full face seems to create the worst buffeting (low frequency rumble/buffeting) Cheers /Finn

If i am riding with my visor up there is a lot of wind noise when riding at speed, other wise with visor down it's quietish .... I am 176 in height and i think i have got the standard screen.

I cant comment on what the aftermarket screens are out there, but i guess that the range needed would be +- 10cm. It may be worth thinking about doing the electric windscreen mod... not sure that would assist in reducing the noise or if the screen would overall be lower mind!

4Back to top Go down   Wind noice / buffeting on LT Empty Re: Wind noice / buffeting on LT Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:48 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The electric screen will do the job I have managed to get mine so there is hardly any noise.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Wind noice / buffeting on LT Empty Re: Wind noice / buffeting on LT Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:24 pm

Life time member
Life time member
I was blaming the screen on my bike for a lot of noise until someone on another forum made a comment about the same helmet I use ( a Nitro flip front dual visor). The button for the sun visor and tab for the clear visor are both on the left side of the helmet which is noticably noisier than the right side.Could it be your helmet?

I also have been considering a screen replacement but the budget wont stretch to electric at present. Motobins do SECDEM screens for standard and raised height at reasonable rates. The raised height with hand protection is only £87 or £89 which is cheaper than the standard height. Given your dimensions I would have thought the standard height would do the trick.

88KE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum