BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Empty Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:33 pm

SaltyDog

SaltyDog
Hi, I'm the original owner of a 1985 K100. In the early years it was well used. In 1986 it was in 30 States and one Canadian province.

I just dug the bike out from where has been sitting since 1994.

I want to get it up and going again, even though I am not so sure about riding in the Chicago traffic. So an occasional ride. Never really liked less than 100 mile rides in the past and probably won't go on many short daily rides. Just a couple nice days riding when I have time.

Had the time of my life tent camping while touring. That just might be the last time I had time and money at the same time. Its always one or the other.

I will look for advice on how to go about reviving the bike. Then will start asking some basic questions. Like where to start. And has anyone seen the key? I know I had it 18 years ago.

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
Hi salty, welcome and enjoy the journey mate, the learning you will acquire changing all those rubber bits is very satisfying, I reckon I got ten years worth in two week by consulting the unfathomable depths of knowledge on offer here.
Enjoy and thanks to all.

http://www.airware.com.au

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard SaltyDog - you should find all the help you will ever need with your bike right here Wink

SaltyDog

SaltyDog
Thanks for the welcome.

5Back to top Go down   Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Empty Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:44 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
You're welcome.
hope you find the time Saltydog, these things are addictive. Good to hear from the windy city. I was there about 20 years ago in winter. You have my admiration for just surviving.
RT

Last edited by RT on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

6Back to top Go down   Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Empty Re: Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:03 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
You cunning old dog...back to something you know and love. Welcome to the forum.I spent a bit of time in Rockford...not far from you and I understand the concerns about traffic.

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
There is a thread here somewhere called, "so you bought a K, now what?" but do you think I can find it? Can anyone else help out? I think this would be a good thread for you to review. Even though you haven't recently bought your baby, since it has sat for such a long period of time it needs to be gone over meticulously to make sure you are safe and reliable. Fluids need changing, probably tires need replacing, rubbers need to be examined, that kind of thing.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
club_c wrote:There is a thread here somewhere called, "so you bought a K, now what?" but do you think I can find it? Can anyone else help out?

Right on the portal page Very Happy

Welcome to the forum Saltydog.

g35corona

g35corona
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome aboard SaltyDog. Living just east of you, we always get your weather one day later. So now I know who to ask if tomorrow will be a good riding day.

;BMW;

ex:1986 K100 RT Vin #0091835

2012 R1200 GS

10Back to top Go down   Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Empty Re: Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:54 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

11Back to top Go down   Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Empty Re: Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:29 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome SaltyDog. I've been to your great City on 3 occasions and even ridden around it. My first motorbike actually came form there....but that's a whole other long storey. I hope the weather is improving enough for you to be able to ride without freezing to death.

Don't worry about the key - you put it somewhere safe, right? Razz

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

12Back to top Go down   Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Empty Re: Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:00 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcom salty .....looking forward to see you bring the old bike back to life

cheers from down under

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

13Back to top Go down   Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Empty Re: Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:28 am

SaltyDog

SaltyDog
Thanks everyone.

That Ted's House link is fabulous!

14Back to top Go down   Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Empty Re: Greetings from the Chicago Suburbs Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:34 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Great to have you with us SaltyDog.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum