BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Help needed Empty Help needed Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:00 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I am finishing to complete my document on troubleshooting the EFI/Electronic ignition.
The last chapter I am working on is about the ignition coils.

Knowing that an ignition coil is essentially an autotransformer with a high ratio of secondary to primary windings and the primary and secondary windings are not actually separated I did some test.

On a set of K75 coils, I can find a resistance between the primary and secondary.
When testing my spare K100 coil, I get nothing.... Nada!
I never tried this coil on the bike and it could be a bad one.

If you have a spare coil, could you please take your Ohmmeter and report what resistance you find between the primary input and the coil output (spark plug wire)? The K100 has 2 output on the coil but both of them should show the same resistance in relation to the input.

If we find the value of the resistance, this could be a big help when trying to troubleshoot an ignition problem.

Help needed Coil_q11

Thanks

Bert

2Back to top Go down   Help needed Empty Re: Help needed Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:52 pm

scottiesharpe

scottiesharpe
Silver member
Silver member
I have some spares. I'll see what I can do.

3Back to top Go down   Help needed Empty Re: Help needed Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:44 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Just a quick thought the K75 have open circuit spark plug leads with a spark gap in them just checking you are not checking via the lead?
Regards,
K-BIKE

4Back to top Go down   Help needed Empty Re: Help needed Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:48 am

gabriel

Platinum member
Platinum member
i've updated my post "1984 K100 WON'T START" and I mentioned about my Igbition Coils. I also received no reading when i tested the secondary windings. the haynes manual states that there is no resistance values to check for the K100.
perhaps it's because this ignition coil is responsible for two cylindres instead of one?
anyway, i've tested my ignition coils and there was no reading. I think this is normal.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum