BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Instruments Empty Instruments Mon May 13, 2013 11:54 am

I have the instrument cluster apart as some bulbs don't work and the LCD shows hieroglyphics instead of a gear number.

The last guy in here decided black silicon was the way to fix a broken O'Ring so it was difficult to split and the bulbs that were not working have had the flexible PCB folded back 180 degrees so the contacts for these bulbs were folded back under the PCB instead of being down the holes beside the bulbs, which is where I think they should be. But no sign of water ingress Smile

All too easy to fix but how about this LCD, is it toast? I was pretty sure it was toast looking from the outside and tried contacting Kbikes in the USA for an LED kit and a working LCD which he has on his site, but communications there sort of faded away.

Anyway, can I recover this in anyway?

Instruments LCD

2Back to top Go down   Instruments Empty Re: Instruments Mon May 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Sometimes you can clean the contact area under the LCDs with a pencil eraser but getting that black crap off may be a bigger challenge. Passedena Speedos had some of those LCDs not long ago may pay to try them.
Don't know what is happening with the Kbikes site the Motobrick site is not very cooperative lately and the same guy runs both.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Instruments Empty Re: Instruments Mon May 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Do you have an address for them Rick. Google is bringing back swim ware Smile

He's also damaged the screw sockets inside. I'd done my usual of a little epoxy in the crack on the pillar, cramp it together and a touch with a needle nose soldering iron to tack it. There are a lot of internal screws missing too Sad

4Back to top Go down   Instruments Empty Re: Instruments Mon May 13, 2013 12:54 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looks like a "bled " lcd to me ....no way back for this one , but to replace the actuall display section .

i have seen draws of these in the same condition at a noteable brisbane bmshop ..

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Instruments Empty Re: Instruments Mon May 13, 2013 12:59 pm

I wonder if he has any good ones? I'll give him a bell tomorrow. Thanks Charlie.

I got hold of a bike jack too, bloody brilliant. I got the arse end back together Smile

Instruments Jack

6Back to top Go down   Instruments Empty Re: Instruments Mon May 13, 2013 2:50 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Check this out Ribin http://www.yellowpages.com/nationwide/mip/cluster-fix-speedometer-and-gauge-repair-461786796?lid=200933484
Also Lionel Otto from Otto instruments in Brisbane used to repair them but doesn't do anymore he may be able to give you a lead on someone, I spoke with him about 2 years ago and he couldnt help with them.
Motobins have a complete PC board http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=K%20Series and Bruce at Munich motorcycles in Perth had the whole unit for $160 last time I looked and felt like bringing a heart atteck on.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Instruments Empty Re: Instruments Mon May 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Thanks Rick,
I might chase up kbikes again. LED bulbs will fix the dash for life and he had an LCD there for $50. I'll see what Chris has tomorrow though.

I got a couple of orders coming from motobins and one from motoworks for parts already. I've been over the whole bike now and I know it's safe, so I will put it all back together to ensure I haven't missed anything and wait for all the bits and the tools I've ordered to arrive before doing it all over again Smile

Next time, the gearbox comes out to do those splines. The previous owner had it for 100,000K and never did them. Didn't know about it. He did know about the back spline as he had to replace it. yippeeee.

I asked James Sherlock last week how much for the trim that goes down each side of the tank on an RS. He quoted 60 GBP + post. I got that trim today from a marine trimmer for $10. Someone to avoid I guess...

I retapped both fork legs all the way through to 6mm with a 1mm pitch and got new allen head bolts to suit. fixed it.

Might be on this thing next week-end....

8Back to top Go down   Instruments Empty Re: Instruments Mon May 13, 2013 5:05 pm

KBikes had a death in the family ....

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum