BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Clutch switch disconnect..? Empty Clutch switch disconnect..? Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Jim Miller

Jim Miller
Is there a simple way to disconnect the clutch safety switch?
 After testing, mine appears to be toast, and where I live is all rural mountainous..If I have to push start it I'm in trouble with this stupid switch.

Thanks..Jim

2Back to top Go down   Clutch switch disconnect..? Empty Re: Clutch switch disconnect..? Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:50 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Follow the wire from cluth lever somewhere under the tank and disconnect it

3Back to top Go down   Clutch switch disconnect..? Empty Re: Clutch switch disconnect..? Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:32 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Easiest solution would be...snip the two wires to the clutch switch, and short them.

4Back to top Go down   Clutch switch disconnect..? Empty Re: Clutch switch disconnect..? Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Jim Miller

Jim Miller
Inge K. wrote:Easiest solution would be...snip the two wires to the clutch switch, and short them.

Ahh,,thanks Inge..I though tmaybe shorting (ie: completeing the circuit) migh tbe the answer! :-c:

5Back to top Go down   Clutch switch disconnect..? Empty Perhaps Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:56 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Perhaps it would be a good idea to replace the switch at your earliest convenience.

It's there for good reason.....to prevent an accident.

I believe I have a used one cheaply if you need it.

I understand that it's a bugger to remove it from the left handlebar unit.......someone here recently posted a nifty article on how he made a homemade socket tool to access it.

Regards, Ibjman

6Back to top Go down   Clutch switch disconnect..? Empty Re: Clutch switch disconnect..? Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:58 pm

Jim Miller

Jim Miller
Thank you for that...I thinkI just need to disconnect it..
I have ridden for over 40 years without one..lol..I can prob manage it..

7Back to top Go down   Clutch switch disconnect..? Empty OK Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:02 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Hopefully, unlike myself and many others......you've never ridden away with the side stand down. Ouch

8Back to top Go down   Clutch switch disconnect..? Empty Re: Clutch switch disconnect..? Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:04 am

Jim Miller

Jim Miller
ibjman wrote:Hopefully, unlike myself and many others......you've never ridden away with the side stand down. Ouch

Well, yes I may have done that..lol...
...but I still have the clutch thing hooked up so it goes up when clutch is pulled in..

9Back to top Go down   Clutch switch disconnect..? Empty Re: Clutch switch disconnect..? Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:01 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"Thank you for that...I think I just need to disconnect it..
I have ridden for over 40 years without one..lol..I can prob manage it.
."

Agreed. I'm going to disconnect my switch...and I've disconnected the sidestand retracting thingo too. I believe my clutch cable will last a little longer as well.

Two less things to worry about.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

10Back to top Go down   Clutch switch disconnect..? Empty I suppose Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:14 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I suppose you're correct.

For me, I retract my side stand manually thus not stressing my clutch cable.

I always felt that the mechanism was designed only to retract the stand when the rider has already forgotten to do so.

Plus, if one has the bike in gear and goes to pull the clutch for a start cycle, the stand mechanism prevents the action of the clutch lever, again reminding (me) of a potential unsafe situation.

At my age (66) I often make errors, so I like the feature.

Some people view it as a "convenience device". For me, It's more of a safety device. I never knowingly bypass a safety device.

Each to their own on this subject....I'm sure you'll all be fine without the switch or linkage.
Clutch switch disconnect..? 314114

11Back to top Go down   Clutch switch disconnect..? Empty Re: Clutch switch disconnect..? Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:54 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
To each his own. Pretty dull world if we all thought the same. Very Happy 

NOT Clutch switch disconnect..? 314114.

Someone else may have something to say. Freedom of speech and all that...

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum