BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   New forum member in Arizona! Empty New forum member in Arizona! Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:14 pm

John in Phoenix

John in Phoenix
Folks-
A 1984 K100RS followed me home the other day... 
Her problems:
Dead battery.
Brakes have failed.
Radial crack in the rear brake rotor.
Worn out front rotors.
Broken rear brake reservoir.  
The one key doesn't unlock the fuel cap.

Fun and games!  Any ideas will be appreciated!
Thank you!

2Back to top Go down   New forum member in Arizona! Empty Re: New forum member in Arizona! Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:42 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Hi John and welcome to the forum.

Here are my comments about your problems:

- Dead battery: this is like tires or brake pads.... Consumable
- Broken rear brake reservoir: Known problem due to UVs. Replace the reservoir (It's cheap)
- Radial crack in the rear brake rotor: The original rear rotor was replaced under warranty due to a cracking         problem. If yours is the same as the front brakes (not plain rotor but has holes in it), this is certainly an original with the known problem
- Worn out front rotors: Mine are at the minimum thickness but they are still good. When they reach the minimum  thickness they are still OK but you are just taking a chance that they could warp if they overheat.
- The one key doesn't unlock the fuel cap: Many K100 keys will work on other bikes. Try to find somebody with a K75 or K100 and try his keys.

These problems are easily fixable without costing you an arm and a leg....

CF

3Back to top Go down   New forum member in Arizona! Empty Re: New forum member in Arizona! Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:08 am

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day again John , X2 on CF's comments , I'm on my 3rd rear brake reservoir , not a biggy just replace it , as far as the brake rotors go , I replaced my rear one with a complete ( carrier plus disc ) EBC unit , very nice , the fronts I went a slightly different route , removed the discs from the carriers by very carefully grinding & drilling out the rivets , be super careful here as the carriers can be easily bent if you are heavy handed , once removed I replaced the disc with "Braking" brand discs ( Italian ) they bolt up as semi floaters , they look & work very well

JR

Last edited by JR_K100RS on Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

4Back to top Go down   New forum member in Arizona! Empty Re: New forum member in Arizona! Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:44 am

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
This is what I'm using up front ,"Braking" BW02FI , see www.braking.com

www.braking.com/catalogue/intro.php?caricaRicerca=938177

JR

5Back to top Go down   New forum member in Arizona! Empty Re: New forum member in Arizona! Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:28 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome John.  The support you need will be found here, I have no doubt. This is a wonderful resource for the Flying Brick owner. Very Happy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum