BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Front Brake Feed Pipe Empty Front Brake Feed Pipe Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:39 am

CraigNZ

CraigNZ
Silver member
Silver member
Just a question.  The front brake pipe on my bike feeds from behind the head-stock to the right, through a bracket with a rubber bush, fastened to the bottom yolk, and down to the split at top of the front mudguard. It looks a little odd to me although I can't see how else it could be routed. Left hand full lock is OK but right hand lock seems to put a lot of 'bend pressure' on it by the head-stock. Looks to be pretty tough (plastic?). Know the bike is rarely on full lock but is this routed correctly?

2Back to top Go down   Front Brake Feed Pipe Empty Re: Front Brake Feed Pipe Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:10 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The bracket should be fastened to the radiator shroud just to the right of centre and at the top of the shroud. The ABS sensor cable should go through the same bracket and be tied to the flexible brake line which is attached to a T junction then separate lines to each caliper.
The brake line should not be attached to the triple clamp at all.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Front Brake Feed Pipe Empty Re: Front Brake Feed Pipe Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:54 pm

CraigNZ

CraigNZ
Silver member
Silver member
That makes sense. The fairing is no more, It was damaged, probably find whoever fitted the bikini headlight fastened the pipe to the triple clamp.  Not a pretty picture, I have work to do (remove that tape for a start !)

Front Brake Feed Pipe Brake_10

4Back to top Go down   Front Brake Feed Pipe Empty Re: Front Brake Feed Pipe Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member
Hey Craig,

You remind me of a good point and a chance to get on my soapbox and become the town crier against adhesive tapes.
As a Sound Tech, I have to occasionally install power or sound cables that must stay in for a while if not permanently.
Public announcement people..... " Don't use electrical tape, sticky tape and esp. Gaffa tape" on anything unless it's just to get you home and then proper repairs will be carried out.
Many of the adhesives will eat your plastics and rubbers over time, that greasy feeling of a cable that's been shrouded in tape for a year is evidence of that.

Use either heat shrink or if you can't get a shrink over your mend, then source a rubber self amalgamating tape, it's adhesive free and will stick to it's self like magic, leaving your 30 year old electrical cables to live another 30 years.

Sorry to hijack the thread momentarily, but I live my life mending and running cables, and I have become over the years, quite the Cable Nazi.

Good luck with your repairs,

Jez

5Back to top Go down   Front Brake Feed Pipe Empty Re: Front Brake Feed Pipe Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:52 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Get that bracket off the triple clamp ASAP or the steel tube WILL break.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Front Brake Feed Pipe Empty Re: Front Brake Feed Pipe Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:38 pm

CraigNZ

CraigNZ
Silver member
Silver member
Am glad I asked the question...

It will be coming off first thing tonight (and the tape!)

Thanks guys.

7Back to top Go down   Front Brake Feed Pipe Empty Re: Front Brake Feed Pipe Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:52 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Good info Jez.

Thanks.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

8Back to top Go down   Front Brake Feed Pipe Empty Re: Front Brake Feed Pipe Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:43 am

CraigNZ

CraigNZ
Silver member
Silver member
Agreed, took me ages to get that dam tape off!

Released the bracket from the triple clamp, it sprung back, thought I heard a sigh from her as well...

Great forum.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum