BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Colour coded wiring diagram Empty Colour coded wiring diagram Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
Dear All,

I've been rummaging around this GREAT forum site lately. I seem to recall that Bert has created a colour coded wiring diagram, whereby one can click on a tab and only the relevant wiring is shown. I've forgotten where to find it.

The reason for this is that my low fuel alarm does not work. I've run out twice now (forget to reset the trip meter) and would like to get the low fuel alarm working. The plug/socket that needs to be disconnected when removing the fuel tank has 4 connections. I imagine that two are for the fuel pump and two are for the low fuel float doo-dad. I'm having difficulty indentifying which is which.

Is the output signal of the float an "on-off" thing or is it a variable resistance as the fuel level lowers.

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated!

(The machine is an ex-police 1991 K100 LT)

Thanx!

Rick G.

2Back to top Go down   Colour coded wiring diagram Empty Re: Colour coded wiring diagram Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:09 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Rick,
Bit of an educated guess on my part but I would suggest as it is the later (latest?) model of the 100 and has the float arrangement it is capable of having a fuel gauge fitted and would probably be a variable resistance.
So assuming you can get at the float itself it should be measurable.
And just found the wiring diagram is accessible from the "Portal"

Regards,

Phil

Last edited by phil_mars on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info)

3Back to top Go down   Colour coded wiring diagram Empty Re: Colour coded wiring diagram Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:06 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Rick,
Unless a replacement has been fitted the 1990 has got the float in the tank.
Regards,
K-BIKE

4Back to top Go down   Colour coded wiring diagram Empty Re: Colour coded wiring diagram Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:32 am

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
I have/had a wirng diagram from when I fitted a fuel gauge to my bike
If I recall correctly and as stated, the sender has a variable resistance
but the low fuel warning has a seperate switch and cable to trigger the low fuel light
Just had a dekko at my Hyenas manual and if thats to be relied on its
white to the low fuel light as opposed to yellow for the gauge

HTH

Edit just been out and looked at my bikes 4 way tank connector (an 87RS) and the cable is white
I thought/assumed all LTs had fuel gauges?
what do I know?
not a lot obviously. Colour coded wiring diagram Icon_smile

5Back to top Go down   Colour coded wiring diagram Empty Re: Colour coded wiring diagram Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:45 am

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
While I'm rantin on..................
If you can get hold of a fuel gauge and you're able to use it on your bike
I'd recommend them
I only wanted to retro fit a temp gauge at first but a fuel gauge came my
way and I fitted that as well
I was pleasantly surprised how accurate they are

6Back to top Go down   Colour coded wiring diagram Empty Re: Colour coded wiring diagram Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:19 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
That's good feedback, I shall look out for one. Some of them were damped and some not the non-damped ones driv one potty with the needle wobbling up and down.
Regards,
K-BIKE

7Back to top Go down   Colour coded wiring diagram Empty Re: Colour coded wiring diagram Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:01 pm

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
K-bike,
I have noticed my fuel gauge seem to be damped while the temp gauge
can wobble slightly so I guess that one isnt.
I got them seperately from Ebay and unsure what model or
year they came off.
I can live with the minor and occaisional fluctuations on the temp gauge
having seen useless gauges on other bikes, especially fuel gauges
I'm happy with these
The fuel gauge has a red zone and I've found it corresponds to my last gallon of fuel, (roughly) and thats when the warning light comes
on.

8Back to top Go down   Colour coded wiring diagram Empty Re: Colour coded wiring diagram Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:59 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
I think there was an article on another board on how to dampen the gauges by placing a condensator across the contacts. I'll see if I can find it, but google is your friend.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Colour coded wiring diagram Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum