BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   front braided lines '87 non abs  Empty front braided lines '87 non abs Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:30 am

KiwiK100

KiwiK100
Gold member
Gold member
Hey all,
I need your help with some front brake line woes. This bike, originally from the UK was fitted with aftermarket braided lines bake in the late '80's. The setup is two individual lines from the master cylinder, one to each calliper. The UNF thread is a VERY poor fit to the calliper and I am surprised it worked at all with no leaks, let alone a major blowout under heavy brakes!
Add to this, the fitting exits straight from the calliper so the PO drilled the guard to allow the lines to pass through. 
I want to replace the old lines as they are not plastic coated and are beginning to perish with small pieces of s/s wire protruding - and they do stick into skin very well!
I am ok with two lines as the two piece guard has the recess for them anyway. Question is, will the calliper accept a banjo fitting rather than the old school style of fitting. I have searched plenty and cannot find reference to this anywhere.
Thanks for your advice

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hope these pics help

venhill lines  from motobins uk

front braided lines '87 non abs  2014-011

front braided lines '87 non abs  2014-012

front braided lines '87 non abs  2014-013

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
KiwiK100 wrote:Question is, will the calliper accept a banjo fitting rather than the old school style of fitting.
Yes. No ifs, buts or maybes.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I don't wonder it's a poor fit the threads are 10mm not 3/8 UNF, I am surprised it held at all.
Some of the things I see that backyard mechanics do makes my blood run cold.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

KiwiK100

KiwiK100
Gold member
Gold member
Thank you everyone. All the original pipes and fastenings are long gone so I am staying with the two lines from the MC setup. It is amazing that the UNF/metric fit held for over 20 years! I would have been none the wiser had I not wanted to dismantle the calliper from the line so I could paint the guard.
Looking at options around NZ/Aussie for replacements and Hel seem to be reasonably priced. Anyone have other suggestions?
Cheers

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Kiwi, just catching up on your thread. I removed the ABS on my K75 during a renovation and fitted HEL brake lines to it.

I chose to use a double banjo bolt at the master cylinder and take a separate line down each fork leg and indeed ordered the custom lines with banjo bolts on both ends. As Dai has said there were no issues (I did use the 10mm standard size banjo bolts though). From memory I think I ordered 45 degree banjo fittings for the caliper end.

The online ordering tool for HEL lines is very easy to use for custom lines.

If you look down through post number 5 on my renovation thread at this link you will see a couple of photos. One thing you may not know about HEL lines is that the banjo fittings are made to swivel so that there are no issues with getting the alignment of the fitting correct and no twist or tension in the line once they are fitted as they find their own position. When I say "swivel" I mean that they can be turned but are very tight. The fitting instructions explain it.

Cheers

KiwiK100

KiwiK100
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks Gaz, thats good to hear, and BTW checked out your thread - nice work mate!
I will be in touch with Hel to sort it out

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
I changed mine to banjos earlier this year.

front braided lines '87 non abs  Sam_1110

Paul.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum