BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Wiring Connections Empty Fuel Pump Wiring Connections Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:45 pm

touchwoodsden

touchwoodsden
Silver member
Silver member
I finally started getting the plastic for my forthcoming Outfit build back from the painters.

I am still waiting on the chair body, the lower fairing side panels, the tail unit and the battery type side panels. Why they were not all done at the same time, I have no idea.

At least, I can get on with fitting the bulk of the plastic and once that’s done, attach the chair frame and do the wiring. I’d forgotten how many nuts and bolts there were and it being 6 months since I took it all apart, I think a lot of it’s going to have to go back with good sense. There are a few odd sort of infill panels which I can’t yet figure out where they go but I’m sure it will start to make sense…. Soon (I hope)

I had to have fuel tank welded and as a result, all the insides had to come out.

I have all the insides of the fuel tank back in again and I’m certain that it doesn’t matter which way round the electrical connections to the fuel pump go but, rather than have to change them at some stage in the future, I thought it made good sense to ask the question on here.

Thanks guys for your help, as always.

2Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Wiring Connections Empty Re: Fuel Pump Wiring Connections Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:06 pm

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
touchwoodsden wrote: I’d forgotten how many nuts and bolts there were and it being 6 months since I took it all apart, I think a lot of it’s going to have to go back with good sense. There are a few odd sort of infill panels which I can’t yet figure out where they go but I’m sure it will start to make sense…. Soon (I hope)

I have all the insides of the fuel tank back in again and I’m certain that it doesn’t matter which way round the electrical connections to the fuel pump go but, rather than have to change them at some stage in the future, I thought it made good sense to ask the question on here.
It's surprising how obvious it looks when you dismantle and how complicated it can become when you come to rebuild (days, weeks...months later). I always take photos as I dismantle - it has saved me countless hours later on when I try to figure out how it goes back together again. Good luck with the jigsaw!

I haven't touched my fuel pumps yet - but according to my trusty Haynes manual, with respect to the fuel pump wiring it seems that "there should be no possibility of confusion since the terminals are of different sizes". It does recommend, however, that you note which wire attaches to which terminal ...before you disconnect!!!! It looks like the smaller terminal is the +ve and the bigger one is the -ve connection. Hopefully you have got it right!!

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

3Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Wiring Connections Empty Re: Fuel Pump Wiring Connections Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:56 am

touchwoodsden

touchwoodsden
Silver member
Silver member
Born Again Eccentric wrote:
touchwoodsden wrote: I’d forgotten how many nuts and bolts there were and it being 6 months since I took it all apart, I think a lot of it’s going to have to go back with good sense. There are a few odd sort of infill panels which I can’t yet figure out where they go but I’m sure it will start to make sense…. Soon (I hope)

It's surprising how obvious it looks when you dismantle and how complicated it can become when you come to rebuild (days, weeks...months later). I always take photos as I dismantle - it has saved me countless hours later on when I try to figure out how it goes back together again. Good luck with the jigsaw!

I haven't touched my fuel pumps yet - but according to my trusty Haynes manual, with respect to the fuel pump wiring it seems that "there should be no possibility of confusion since the terminals are of different sizes". It does recommend, however, that you note which wire attaches to which terminal ...before you disconnect!!!! It looks like the smaller terminal is the +ve and the bigger one is the -ve connection. Hopefully you have got it right!!
This is Typical Haynes! The rep came onto our club stand (MZ Riders Club) at the Stafford bike show at the weekend and told us that they are going to reprint various MZ manuals. I wonder if they are going to correct the mistakes!
One of the other things I find extremely frustrating with these manuals is that they never give you any tips. For example, Ford Mondeo front wishbones can't be removed without disconnecting the gear linkage, exhaust, engine mountings et cetera and then jacking the gearbox up about 5 inches to get the bolt out. What everyone does is chop the head of the bolt off so it pulls out from underneath and fits the new bolt in upside down.

I checked connectors on the Brick and they are indeed different sizes DOH. Why didnt I notice that and why dont the "experts" at Haynes mention it?
Thanks again
James

4Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Wiring Connections Empty Re: Fuel Pump Wiring Connections Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:02 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The haynes version of an engine rebuild is to "remove engine, rebuild, replace engine and test ride if you consider it necessary.  Thats the long winded detailed version in the later manuals.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Wiring Connections Empty Fuel Pump wire connection Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:09 pm

redrockmania

redrockmania
Silver member
Silver member
An observation from a recent replacement of the FP. On my 8/1983 machine there is slight difference in the colour of the brown insulation of each wire. One is slightly darker than the other in addition to there being a larger and smaller connector. Just back from the Australian round of the Moto GP - highly recommended.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum